Author Topic: Cryptkeeper?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Cryptkeeper?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 05:21:12 am »
[...] Gnupg is both cross platform, good for simple hardware AND it's already installed in my P10 installation. That is that's what my software manager is telling me, but I can not find how to use it. Typing Gnupg in the menu search comes up blank, so if there's anyone out there who knows? P.S I have obviously tried searching this forum, without success. Oh and if I set the software manager to 'show installed applications' the list only covers what I have installed and not any other apps which are apparantly present...
lliam

If you still wish to try out gnupg (its public name is actually GnuPG) then read this article first, followed by this article;) Although gnupg is installed on your computer, there is not a program named gnupg for you to start (this information is in the article that you should read first). On my installation the executable file is named gpg  :o (in the article the author is using a linux distro that uses other names). But please read all of the first article if you still wish to test using GnuPG for file encryption.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 05:12:58 am »
Encryption, a minefield?
Well here goes, after taking note of all the replys [thank you all for taking the time] on this and studying the various articles and options I have come to the following conclusion. There might be a plethera of encryption possibles out there but what I am looking for [ease of use and a minimum of terminal coding] is hard to find. There are 'systems', such as AES which do the job on single files but not over network drives, or the gnpug which is probably super safe but requires a terminal use I find just to demanding and certainly not what I need for my simple needs. I have an application which password protects a 'vault' one creates, defined size and domicile be it flash or network drive, with it I can open the vault using my given password work on the [various different] files present, save them and then close the vault. Looking for something like that which is cross platform started all this... Well the only option which seems to be available which lives up to my hopes is Veracrypt [which will also work on a 32bit machine] All works well until I get to Linux very safe but infuriating permissions system. No matter what I do, so filling in all requested passwords and names [even creating a public share on my network drive which is a bit counter the whole idea really] I ALWAYS get 'Permission denied' when I try and use the 'crypt' [or vault] created. On presenting VeraCrypt with my problem I was answered with an explanation [Linux permissions....] and a solution: which means I need to mount the remote [network] folder [containing the VeraCrypt] as a local folder on my linux machine. Sounds easy [like mapping a windows drive] but it's not. This requires, hard to comprehend, terminal coding which invariably turns up such comments as drive or file does not exist [no matter how well I make sure not to fall into the case sensitive trap] or other ERRORS. There is a GUI method for this starting at 'PLACES' in the menu... I can not find 'places' in my menu, so does this exist in Peppermint? If so where is the tutorial, with 'what to do with the error messages', which deals with mounting a remote [network] drive locally..
lliam
hopefull

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 11:29:18 pm »
Hi lliam53, could you copy the instructions you are having trouble with here so we can try to help you understand them?
What was I thinking?

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 02:02:56 am »
Alynur, this [below] is the VeraCrypt response with link to the answers: I can not underline my wishes more than to say that I do not expect terminal coding to work for me, as I have said no matter what I fill in for user names and or passwords and no matter how I define the location of the local or remote folders I created it does not work, but you are welcome to try and redefine or explain how this all works. I would appreciate an explanation for how I get the GUI answer to work, as that probably does not need me to provide all manner of input which is fraught with pitfalls. In the meantime I have installed Smb4K which looks a promising aid [as I can not find 'Places' in my menu] I just need to find out what a 'UNC address' is, and where I can find this for a given drive/folder/location....  If I ever get an answer to manage this I shall post it as a tutorial or whatever, as there would not appear to be a straightforward method for mapping a network drive, like windows has, available for Peppermint.

The network drive in question, to which I do have access from Peppermint is NFTS, if that helps....

Concerning the permission denied issue, this is something related more
to how Linux sharing work than to VeraCrypt specifics. I have answered
in the past similar issues and I gave solution that worked for some
users. You can check the following link to see if it helps:
https://github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/issues/23

LLiam
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:15:43 am by lliam53 »
hopefull

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 07:03:05 am »
https://techterms.com/definition/unc

The network drive is on a Windows Samba server? What's the local IP of that machine?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
So basicly your problem is mounting your vault in Peppermint correct? So when you go to file manager and open your server, you can see your vault but VeraCryp isn't recognizing it as a valid vault? While in your server and clicking in your vault, look at the address bar at the top and on the right click on the Toggle Location Entry. That will give you the unc address of the vault. Copy that and enter it into your VerCrypt application vault mounter. Did that make sense?
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:45 am »
Here is ia screenshot of my shared Public folder unc address mounted in networks.

What was I thinking?

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 05:43:44 am »
The problem in using Vera Crypt via the file manager is that the network drive does not accept the [form of, Linux] permission routine [name & passwords] Vera Crypt presents [it recognises the vault ok] and simply denies connection. As the Vera Crypt explanation sent to me discribes this can be overcome by mounting the remote/network location via another route [including permissions, so name and password] and then have Vera Crypt approach that local mount to open the vault. Read on...

Well it's looking as though I have been successful in my local mount of the remote drive/location/crypt using the package Smb4k [which means I am using Samba, for what it's worth?]. It took some time to define the correct UNC adress, which is do-able in Smb4k as it tells you what is wrong as apposed to a terminal error [file does not exist or 'permission denied'] one can keep at it until the correct addressing is found [looking in the File Manager for starters]. As it is possible to go thru the process step by step so knowing where the 'glitches' 'fit'. Once the network 'vault' [location] was mounted locally [so using Smb4k and the network 'inlog' reuirements such as name and password or 'anonymous'] VeraCrypt was able to mount the [created via another system] crypt as a 'volume' and make use of it. After the installation and mount my [32 bit] machine became extremely slow and appeared to be 'occupied' with who knows what. After shutdown and restart all was back to normal so AOK. Unfortunately Smb4k appeared to have 'forgotten' the local mount after shutdown requiring me to run thru the mount again after restarting. Obviously I will have to study Smb4k more closely to find the right settings [there are sooo many...] so that if possible on start up mounts are restored. As yet I have been unable to get Smb4k to remount the network location automatically on restart but one can save the location details as a bookmark in Smb4k so remounting is readily achieved. I now have a 'vault' on one of my network drives which is [password] accessable from at least two platforms [not simultaniously, which is to be expected], now to go for an android connection.. Once I have more to tell I shall create a tutorial or a 'guide to how I did it'.

LLiam, getting there slowly, with help...
hopefull