Author Topic: Wake up Permissions DISCONTINUED  (Read 507 times)

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Wake up Permissions DISCONTINUED
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:26:36 am »
I use suspend, how does one define which devices are able [allowed] to [remotely] wake the system? The ps2 or usb keyboard, usb mouse, LAN command... there are all manner of possibilities[?] I am not looking for Comand line scripting solutions I expect this kind of stuff to be available 'off the shelf' or at least only requiring some 'on - off' to 'registry' entries.    lliam
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:50:27 am by lliam53 »
hopefull

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Wake up Permissions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:51 am »
I use suspend, how does one define which devices are able [allowed] to [remotely] wake the system? The ps2 or usb keyboard, usb mouse, LAN command... there are all manner of possibilities[?] I am not looking for Comand line scripting solutions I expect this kind of stuff to be available 'off the shelf' or at least only requiring some 'on - off' to 'registry' entries.    lliam

Hi lliam53,

These are actually items that almost every linux distribution has problems with -- the power management is really not optimal in the linux world. Expecting "this kind of stuff to be available 'off the shelf' " is a more attitude for those using a commercial OS where someone needs to purchase the OS (or 'rent' it).  ;)

Here at PeppermintOS we have nothing to do with these components and take and use those that we find to be the best for the OS. So perhaps you should address the package authors/coders of the the power managers and see if they can provide you with assistance.

Please do not forget that PeppermintOS is free for anyone to use and everything done in putting it together, testing, etc is done by volunteers who get zero compensation for their time and effort. We are not the ones responsible for providing (for example) a perfectly functioning power manager or correcting its deficiencies for you or any other user.  ;)

Regards,

-- Sflim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:02:58 am »
Hello lliam53,

you can use ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) to set which devices are allowed to wake the system.
Maybe this thread from the Ubuntu Mate forum helps:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/power-management-acpi-wake-up-settings/17344

Best regards,
Fritz74

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 02:09:43 am »
Fritz74, my thanks for this. According to my software manager ACPI is installed/present yet I can not find it  [nothing in the whisker search field] need all ACPI commands to be invoked via terminal? lliam
hopefull

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:40:14 am »
Hi Lliam,

acpi is probably not installed by default.  You can install it with

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install acpi
I have not tried that script by karnemelk from the Ubuntu Mate-forum. Just give it a try and follow the instructions.

By the way: I am far from being a Linux pro myself, but you can get a lot done with some trial and error. ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:57:06 am »
Fritz74, my thanks for this. According to my software manager ACPI is installed/present yet I can not find it  [nothing in the whisker search field] need all ACPI commands to be invoked via terminal? lliam

Hi lliam53,

Open a terminal and enter acpi. By itself it does not do much. But using scripts (such as those found in the package acpi-support) it can do many things. As far as I know there is not a graphical front-end (GUI) for it.  ???

To see what all has been installed on your machine open the synaptic package manager and in the lower left corner press the button Status and you will get all installed packages listed for your inspection and management. Start using synaptic because it is the most useful package management tool.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline lliam53

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 07:49:50 am »
Well, after much trial and dissapointment with installing various acpi packages [via terminal, software  mangr & pack. mangr] and at one point getting the answer to my invoking 'acpi' in terminal 'No support for device type' I have decided to leave any thoughts of 'arranging' wake up settings until such time [if ever] it becomes really nessessary.
Thanks for all the input so far. I shall mark this post as 'Discontinued' which seems more appropriate.    lliam
hopefull

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Re: Wake up Permissions DISCONTINUED
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:06:37 am »
It really does help the forum moderators decide if they can help, or how best to help if we know a bit more about your machine...

So in order to help us, help you in revisiting this, or in future support issues, please include the terminal output from:

Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz

Please reference this tutorial if you are unfamiliar with how to do so...

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9040.0.html

Meanwhile, we hope you enjoy your pepperminting!

;)

spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.