Author Topic: VPN  (Read 435 times)

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
VPN
« on: April 29, 2020, 06:26:08 am »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - move if it's better elsewhere.

What's the thoughts on VPN software? Is it worthwhile with Linux or a bit unnecessary?

Is a standalone VPN better than one included in a browser, like Opera, or is one as good as the other?

I found this page also. Is this a good way to go?
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-setup-a-vpn-for-free-or-paid-on-linux-62e1a93d04f3/

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: VPN
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
Opinions differ, but I'll tell you what I do.

I use Opera as my primary browser; and, 99.999% of the time I enable Opera's pseudo-VPN feature. It's actually a mixture of VPN and Proxy technology -- not a true VPN.

Does it work... yes!

Google AI has convinced itself that I'm located in Kiev, Ukraine and speak Russian -- all day, everyday.

Microsoft AI has fooled itself into thinking I'm alternately in either Linkoping Ostergotlands Lan, Sweden, and speak Swedish and/or in Under Länggrat, Switzerland and speak German -- depending on which way the packets flow.

When I'm trying to order something online, VPN/Proxies are a PITA. Every virtual storefront comes up with a different location and language -- or they simply don't do business in 'my country.' So, when I order something online, I normally use Firefox -- without any VPN, AI or other identifiers getting in the way.

That said, when I really want to hide 'behind the curtains', I use Tor Browser. It can't be beat for 'stumping the chimps.'

Personally, I would never have ALL of my traffic tunneling through a VPN, but that's just me.

I consider VPN to be like salt n' pepper seasoning(s). I sprinkle it around, and use it judiciously...   ;D

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:14 am »
Thanks.
I usually use Firefox on e my other (win7) computer. I tried a couple of free VPNs but I wasn't convinced they were working properly. So then I got Opera which seems to work fine.
I still prefer Firefox though so end up with 2 or 3 browsers. I was thinking of trying to keep things down to fewer progs on the laptop with its limited space.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
I still prefer Firefox though so end up with 2 or 3 browsers.

Everyone's NEEDS are different. I require five (5) browsers:
  • Opera (stable) for general use
  • Opera (beta) for testing new features
  • Firefox to circumvent AI Hell
  • Chromium for the bots
  • Tor for anonymity
It would be nice if someone came up a universal browser, but I've been doing this since well into the last century, and it hasn't happened yet,

They all have their strengths & weaknesses...