Author Topic: How can I make my boot time faster?  (Read 237 times)

Offline Treeplanter

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
How can I make my boot time faster?
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:19:58 pm »
Hi everyone!

I just switched from Windows 7 to Peppermint today and I must say I absolutely love Peppermint so far and am happy with my first day of being a new linux/Peppermint user. One thing though that I do notice is slow is my boot time and was wondering how I can improve that. My startup time according to systemd-analyze is: Startup finished in 6.467s (kernel) + 47.528s (userspace) = 53.995s. graphical.target reached after 47.513s in userspace.

Here are my specs:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

And here is my systemd-analyze blame info:
[close]

I've read in other posts there is a bunch of things I could purge (delete?) but I'm not sure if I need them and I also don't know how to purge things. Purging or disabling things such as: Samba, Apparmor, btrfs-tools, rubble, snaps, flatpak, smbd, bluetooth controlers and packages. Would it be safe to do the following according to a former post I saw on improving boot time:
[close]

I really don't want to do anything risky that could cause my laptop to malfunction/not work properly and require me to reinstall Peppermint. One last thing how can I tell if I have Peppermint 10 or Peppermint 10 Respin? I'm pretty sure I downloaded respin from peppermintos.com but when I put in the command line to find out what my os-release is the word "respin" is not in the info. Anyways, any help or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: How can I make my boot time faster?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 12:35:44 am »
Hi Treeplanter,

Welcome to PeppermintOS and the forum!  :)

The absolute best way to improve almost anything/everything in your computer is to replace the HDD with an SSD;)

Since I can understand that you might not wish or be in the position to do that, then doing the steps listed in your 3rd spoiler (removing and purging the items given there) should most likely not cause any problems -- but one can never be absolutely sure without a complete understanding of your hardware and your needs.  ;)  As long as you have backups (e.g. on an external drive/usb stick)  of your important personal files (documents, pictures, music, etc) then you should not be worried about needing to reinstall Peppermint as the entire reinstallation (should it be necessary) really does not take that much time.

As for your final question (whether you have Peppermint 10 or Peppermint 10 Respin), I will ask you where you obtained the ISO? If you downloaded it from our official site by clicking on the link DOWNLOAD 64 BIT then the pop-up that appears would tell you that you are about to download the Respin. It is the only version that can be downloaded from there and, if you obtained the download from that page within the last say 3 months -- then it is the Respin. You can also calculate the MD5SUM for the ISO that you (I assume) still have and it must match the MD5SUM given in that pop-up window on our official site.

Finally you can check this forum message to see the exact name of the Respin ISO where you will see that the name includes the date 20191210. If your ISO does not include that date in its name, then it is not the Respin8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:19:10 am »
posted a thread about this myself recently, might be worth looking at the omens solution. the original peppermint 10 iso didnt have this boot issue just so you know.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9632.msg96226.html#new
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:48:25 am »
Hi Rayzor, Treeplanter, and Slim.Fatz,

posted a thread about this myself recently, might be worth looking at the omens solution. the original peppermint 10 iso didnt have this boot issue just so you know.

Treeplanter already did take a look at my solution, He copied and pasted it on his number three spoiler.

I am using P9 respin myself but have used these for P10 and P10 respin as well and has cut down boot times quite well.

I think all that Treeplanter is looking for is more reassurance from others that have applied these themselves rather than just going by my say so that it works ok.

I am imagining that since he saw no other replies to your original post about this subject in the "advance" section, he has no other person to vouch for the "fix".

Warm regards to all,

The Omen
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:56:28 am by The Omen »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:31:14 pm »
Well, if that is what is holding him back: Omen's tips caused no problems on the machines I applied them to (which are all running Peppermint 10) and improved their boot times as well. Still, we cannot ever give anyone a 100% secure assurance that these steps will work. That is the reason I told him to make backups of his important personal files before doing anything drastic -- just in case he needs to re-install the OS.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome