Author Topic: Internet on laptop (SOLVED)  (Read 2541 times)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Re: Internet on laptop
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:38 pm »
I think I may have installed the drivers.

The Realtek drivers set up instructions won't help until someone else steps in to triage why your keyboard is not working. Let's step back a bit. Before we go much further... have you already:

Menu > Settings > Network Connections > and then clicked the + sign in the lower left of that box to fill out the settings for your particular wifi setup?

Is there an entry for your wifi?

:-\
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:25:33 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2020, 04:27:35 pm »
With the sudo thing I typed in my password even though nothing came up and it worked. Previously I think a little box came up for me to type in, but I didn't see it and nothing appeared when I typed.

A tried to manually enter a wifi connection. My modem info doesn't seem to exactly match what is in the options so I'm not sure if I've entered what I need to.
I have SSID - name of modem.
WEP number - but I'm not sure which type of WEP it is - there's a couple of options in the settings.
I've put it in Wep 40/128-bit key hex or ASCII, and put the details in Key

Wireless PIN  - I never need to enter this normally. Not sure if it's needed. Haven't included it

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »

Code: [Select]
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter

Card 1 is your ethernet card, this should work simply by plugging in your ethernet cable with no other input from you.

Card 2 is your wifi card, which also uses Realtek drivers... let me track down @PCNetSpec's tutorial on those...

Does the 'state: down' mean that it's not working?

Offline mintspider

• Trusted User
  • Solus Budgie, Peppermint, & FreeBSD user
    • View Profile
    • Spider's Webtrail
  • Peppermint version(s): 10R
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2020, 06:04:56 pm »
Steve M, Broadcom is the manufacturer of my wifi card.
Really don't know much about Realtek.

I did find this in a search:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/04/nstall-rtl8723de-wifi-driver-ubuntu-19-04/
It is quite technical, but since you are used to typing DOS commands you should be fine.

Unfortunately some wifi cards are easier to get going than others in Linux.
Peter Paterson
Scotsman in Kentucky
Solus, Peppermint, & FreeBSD user
BDLL Tester
Believer in Jesus Christ

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:30 am »
Hi Steve M,

First of all: Since your networking cards are Realtek it would be useless to try to use Broadcom drivers (those are specific for Broadcom cards).  ;)

Second: when in a terminal and it is asking for your password (after, e.g. invoking a command with sudo) the entering of the password never shows up in the terminal (think: security feature). The password is being recorded but the letters, numbers, whatever are in your password are being suppressed.

Third: state: down means that the card is not currently active or in use (although the driver listed -- r8169 -- has been selected as the one to use if you activate the card).

Lastly: why have you not tried entering the wireless PIN? Just because you have not needed this previously, does not mean you still no longer need it. Entering it will not destroy anything and, in fact, might be all that is missing.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:21:22 am by Slim.Fatz »
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2020, 05:54:13 am »
I didn't know what Broadcom was. It sounds like broadband communication thing, doesn't it? I just saw it wasn't there and wondered if it was what was missing.

I haven't entered the wireless PIN as there is nowhere obvious to put it. As I've said the options I'm presented with don't match the information I have. Should I just keep randomly entering things?

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 06:59:04 am »
I did find this in a search:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/04/nstall-rtl8723de-wifi-driver-ubuntu-19-04/

I think the drivers installed, but I went through this process anyway. It seemed to work OK but at the end it asked me to make a password to change the drivers and said I would be asked to enter the password on bootup. So I put a password in and booted up and it didn't ask me for a password.  So I'm not really sure if the new drivers are inforce or not.
(How can you tell???)
Anyway - still no wifi.

If I do the inxi -Fz it says for the wifi card if: N/A state N/A.   which seems like it's not responding(?)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 09:20:02 am »
Hi Steve M,

PLEASE do not apply windies knowledge to Linux, nor Linux to Windies. It will help to keep your sanity in check.

The inxi sample you posted, which says: 
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> Confirms the wifi switch is turned off. Either by an external toogle switch or the internal switch needs to be switched on.

Click on internet symbol in the taskbar, next to the battery icon

Click on your wifi address of your network provider

Enter your wifi password and click connect to confirm

Run this command to check
inxi -ni
regards cavy
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 09:28:19 am »
I didn't know what Broadcom was. It sounds like broadband communication thing, doesn't it? I just saw it wasn't there and wondered if it was what was missing.

Let's eject the word Broadcom from any further discussion, it appears nowhere in your terminal output for:

inxi -Fz
Seeing as both your ethernet & your wifi drivers are Realtek...

Happily, @Slim.Fatz reminded me that you should not be able to see your password being typed while in the terminal that's a security feature.

Even more happily, @cavy reminded me that my last HP laptop had an external wifi switch! Does yours?

Meanwhile other models of laptops have a function key combo that needs to be toggled?

;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:18:30 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 11:29:05 am »
Hi Steve M,

Exactly which keys you need to press to turn your wifi on/off varies from laptop to laptop. Yours is an HP 15 whatever model. I would suggest reading the manual, or checking online for your particular model, to find out which key(s) will do that. My Acer laptop uses the combination of the keys <Fn><F2> to toggle the wifi on/off. Often little symbols on the keys are used to indicate this as well.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 01:09:30 pm »
Hi Steve M,

Exactly which keys you need to press to turn your wifi on/off varies from laptop to laptop. Yours is an HP 15 whatever model. I would suggest reading the manual, or checking online for your particular model, to find out which key(s) will do that. My Acer laptop uses the combination of the keys <Fn><F2> to toggle the wifi on/off. Often little symbols on the keys are used to indicate this as well.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Oh yes, I forgot about this. It happened to a friend of mine who I gave an hp laptop to to install Peppermint on. It was over a year ago but he called me with the same issue. He turned it on and all was good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2020, 01:29:52 pm »
There's no wifi switch on my laptop.
It came with no manual.
The online manual shows you how to turn on wifi via Windows.

When I installed the drivers using Spider's link, it says at the end if it doesn't work do -
sudo modprobe -r rtl8723de &&sudo modprobe rtl8723de
This fails.
I tried going through the list again and it was telling me it was already there.

My list looks different to Cavy's. I don't see any networks to connect to . There is no 'More Networks' option. I can only edit network connections which takes me to the 'network connections'  box where I tried to manually enter my connection details with no success.

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2020, 01:46:44 pm »

The inxi sample you posted, which says: 
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> Confirms the wifi switch is turned off. Either by an external toogle switch or the internal switch needs to be switched on.

That is for Card 1 which is the ethernet. Card 2 is my wifi and for that it is now saying
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A

Offline Steve M

• New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2020, 02:47:56 pm »
I may have solved it myself.

It seems to be something to do with secure boot. I've had a play in the Bios and rebooted and got online.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/762254/why-do-i-get-required-key-not-available-when-install-3rd-party-kernel-modules/762255#762255

Could it be something in the Bios that is stopping windows booting? I did try to follow steps to wipe the drive and install Windows but it wouldn't accept a different boot DVD.

I looked at various online instructions to wipe Linux and none worked. (I could always go back and reinstall !)

I'm going to hold my breath and cross my fingers etc before marking this solved. - But it may be working !!!

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »
Steve,

I have bad news and good news.   I found this article http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/08/no-wifi-adapter-found-hp-laptops-ubuntu-18-04/

The article is for Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop but ignore that.  In the 3rd paragraph it explains the reason why no wifi adapter is found, Ubuntu does not support RTL8723de wifi driver.  That is the wifi card in your laptop.  This is specific to the Ubuntu 18.04 base, which Peppermint 10 is based on.

That's the bad news.  The good news is it can be fixed but it may be above a beginners ability, though not impossible.  Read the article and see what you think.  I have 4 slightly older HP laptops and have never had an issue.  Unfortunately newer hardware, especially if it is geared towards windows 10, can sometimes be an issue.

Maybe the more experienced from Peppermint may be able to offer more sage advice.