Author Topic: Google Drive  (Read 568 times)

Offline Bear

• Got a lot to learn
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Google Drive
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:00:22 am »
What options, apart from going via a browser, are there for accessing a Google drive, ideally via a GUI?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Google Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 12:07:08 pm »
Hi bear, have you tried gnome online accounts?  You can install it with this.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt install gnome-online-accounts
I found this on the internet but I don-t use it.
What was I thinking?

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 12:40:47 pm »
I've been using 'ODrive' for a year or so - love it:  https://is.gd/1Ku71d

Google Drive (cloud) is sync'ed with a folder on one's HDD/SSD (local) and the GUI (in Peppermint) is Nemo.

Put another way, 'ODrive' makes my 'Google Drive' content available locally via PM's file manager -- the same way as Dropbox, Mega, etc.

Depends on one's definition of GUI, I suppose...  :)

Offline Bear

• Got a lot to learn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:33:23 am »
Thanks alynur .  This article https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/mounting-google-drive-on-xfce-or-mate.html had gnome online accounts working for me fairly quickly although the only way I can find to fire up it's settings panel (admittedly not something I'd use often) is to open up a terminal window. It's easier to use than opening up a browser but it's not what I need as all it does is makes my Google drive look like a local drive which doesn't help if I'm away from home with no internet connection.

Thanks VinDSL for your suggestion (useful article here  https://linuxinsider.com/story/how-to-sync-google-drive-on-linux-86069.html )which looks ideal but when I followed your link it looked like only a 64-bit version was available and this toy I'm playing with limps along with a 32-bit cpu.

Essentially what I'm trying to do is mimic the functionality of Dropbox so if I create a document locally it's picked up and shared as if by magic the next time the machine gets an internet connection. My reason for not simply using Dropbox is that the free version only allows 3 devices and this is my 4th.  Google Drive is baked into my Android phone and comes with a Windows application when I'm running something that needs it.

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 11:15:55 am »
I, too, installed the gnome-online-accounts.  It does stay hidden and the terminal is the only access.  Unfortunately there is no way, that I know off, to make it look more functional.  I personally have no issues with the way it looks. I have never used dropbox so I don't know what it looks like.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:14:53 pm »
Hi bear, would an ICE SSB work? I use one for my Google Contacts.
What was I thinking?

Offline Bear

• Got a lot to learn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:26:13 am »
Thanks for the suggestion alynur. An ICE SSB would presumably give me the same functionality as opening my browser and navigating to my drive once I'd learnt how to create one (which I might well try as I'm currently furloughed from work and very bored) but that wouldn't do what I'm aiming for, which is to set up a local folder which is mirrored to my other machines as soon as I get an Internet connection. Since I've given up running Windows on this machine I've simply re-allocated it's Dropbox account to Peppermint. It installed without issue and works perfectly. I've kept the Gnome online account but don't often use it.