Author Topic: Win 10 and Pep 10 (300GB), Installed secondary (500GB),want to move Pep (SOLVED)  (Read 817 times)

Offline a1872

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Hi.  The 500GB is empty and I want to move only the Peppermint 10 partition to that drive.  Peppermint is my main driver and that's the reason for leaving Win 10 on the  smaller disk.  I tried Clonezilla, but couldn't get that partition moved, and most of what I read yesterday had dealt with moving an OS to a replacement disk.  Could you give me advice and tell me the simplest way to accomplish the move?  I am a moderate-level Linux user, having used it since Precise.  I am aware that I need to either boot from Windows, or run Gparted, or some other app, from a usb.  What about Grub, what do I need to do to tell it that the partition has moved to a completely new disk?
     Thanks,
          Anthony
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:15:52 pm by a1872 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi a1872,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Unfortunately, I am not an expert concerning Clonezilla. However, I do know that our member AndyInMokum uses it quite much and might read this post and give you some advice. What I would say is that you perhaps need to first partition your new drive and format one of the partitions (the one to be Peppermint 10) to be the same format (probably ext4) as the current partition with Peppermint 10 on the old drive. I believe that it is also a requirement for partition cloning that the target partition be the same size as the one that now contains Peppermint 10. This work on the new drive (partitioning and formatting the new partitions) can be done from within your current Peppermint 10 installation using gparted (you may have to install this if it is not already present).

I would also advise you to set up an extra data partition on the new drive. To learn why and how, see my tutorial;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Yes, it's best to do this from a live USB if you're using Gparted. You can use it to copy the partition from one drive to the other and delete the original one. It's recommended to resize the Windows partition from within Windows.

After this you can install grub to the new drive (search the forum) and I think the Windows boot manager (if present) should be able to find that there's a Linux OS there and offer you the option to boot from it. Alternatively you could choose to install grub to the Windows drive and that should also give you the option of booting into either OS.

Offline a1872

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help, all.  I resized the original 143.49GB to sdb1 156.28GB-I assume that will work as long as the partition is a little bit bigger? Gparted wouldn't let me resize to the exact value.  I will mark this post as solved once the process is finished.
Thanks again,
         Anthony

Offline a1872

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
I would also advise you to set up an extra data partition on the new drive. To learn why and how, see my tutorial.  ;)

Like the tutorial says, I want to do some things differently, so I want to ask; I want to move the entire home directory to the DATA partition--I have no trouble with the folders discussed, but what about hidden folders and the files that are not included in any folder (.wget-hsts, etc.)?

Thanks,
     Anthony

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi a1872,

I would not move /home/<username> to the data partition. I would make an additional partition that is only for /home/<username> and from there you can make your symlinks to the data partition. In this new "home" partition you can have all of the "hidden" files (such as .config and .local etc). Just put your personal data (videos, music, pictures, documents, etc) into the data partition. The main reason for this is to permit upgrades to new versions of your current operating system (as well as installation of new operating systems) to occur without touching your personal data or your "home".  ;)

Having said that, I must admit that I personally do not use a separate "home" partition, just a separate data partition.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:29:10 am by Slim.Fatz »
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline a1872

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
One last question, Slim--moving entire home directory would be good for the Steam games and any other settings I have--like Thunderbird, etc.  So it's not a crazy thing to do, is it?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
You can symlink to another partition from your existing home directory. For example you could have a symlink to your Steam folder so it appeared to be inside home.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help, all.  I resized the original 143.49GB to sdb1 156.28GB-I assume that will work as long as the partition is a little bit bigger? Gparted wouldn't let me resize to the exact value.  I will mark this post as solved once the process is finished.
Thanks again,
         Anthony

If you're only using Gparted and not Clonezilla, you don't create an empty partition (so delete it). Just copy the original partition and paste it into empty space on the disk. Then you can expand the partition afterwards to the new size.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
One thing to remember, if you clone or copy a partition into a seperate drive, your fstab entries are going to conflict when you try to boot, may not even boot.
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
If you specify by UUID then your copied partition should still have the same one.