Author Topic: COVID-19 Project: I Think I Like Old Machines Too Much  (Read 2126 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: COVID-19 Project: I Think I Like Old Machines Too Much
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 05:47:11 pm »
The 32-bit Dell Dimension 3000 was built for comfort!  I liked listening to the hum of the machine, and I liked its monitor a lot too.

Yes, it whirs right along, literally. It's a very comforting sound, for sure.

The monitor is a Dell UltraSharp U2412M 16:10 wide-screen (1920x1200x24).

And, after some haxoring, the OEM CD-ROM & Floppy (and Zune player) are working on PM10.

But, wait! While I was replying to your post (above) it got me thinking about a vexing problem I've been experiencing with the proprietary nVidia drivers; which I haven't run in years.

Because of you, I now have the Dell monitor booting up in full 'UXGA Wide' mode. It was driving me crazy. >:(

Thanks, Perk!!! It provides a LOT more room for my Conky script...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 07:25:49 am »
Thanks, Perk!!! It provides a LOT more room for my Conky script...

It looks terrific, VinDSL. :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 12:14:51 pm »
The trick (which I had forgotten about) is to create/save the initial display settings using the GUI 'nVidia X Server Setting' utility. That gets one in the ballpark.

Then, I manually bring up the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file (as Root), using the 'Text Editor', tweak it, and save the correction(s).

In this instance, every time I saved the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file, using GUI 'nVidia X Server Setting' tool; not matter what I did, it automagically saved the display resolution as '1920+1080', instead of '1920+1200'.

What can I tell ya?!?!  We live in an imperfect world...   :)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:23 pm »
Totally updated/upgraded the Asus Eee PC 1000HD 10" (2008) netbook, last night   8)

Peppermint 10 Respin with latest 32-bit Linux Kernel and Oh My ZSH Shell (Bira theme)

Plus, I fully implemented/config'ed the desktop notification feature (most ppl hate it)   ;D