Choose style:

Author Topic: STUCK!!! (SOLVED) (by giving up)  (Read 268 times)

Offline Alex Boatman

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
STUCK!!! (SOLVED) (by giving up)
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:12:22 am »
I just installed Peppermint 10, got everything all set-up and ran into a big problem.  I had installed the program called Variety to display my images on the desktop.  Some of the images were not fitting well so I thought I might try to adjust the screen resolution.  It was set by default at 1366 x 768, i think.  So I used the slider to choose the next resolution to see what happens... and it all goes black.  Nothing I press on the keyboard will undo the black which stays forever.  I reboot by holding the power button and when the desktop appears again the whisker menu is not there and the desktop lasts about 1 second before going black again.  I've tried clicking all kinds of things in that 1 second window of time and whatever I click tries to load, but then the black screen takes over.  Does anyone know what I could press during that 1 second of desktop time to gain some control????  I would really like to fix this and not have to reinstall all from scratch again.  If I have to reinstall the OS is there a way to keep all the movies I copied on to the hard drive?

Thanks so much,
 Alex
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:34:54 am by Alex Boatman »

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: STUCK!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:13:58 am »
As quickly as you can during next reboot, right click on the desktop, then select "Launch Peppermint Settings Panel" If that opens, select hardware then display...

If screen goes blank? will CTRL+ Alt + T open a terminal? If yes, perhaps one of the team more familiar with cli may jump in here...

:-\
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Alex Boatman

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:08 pm »
Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate your help.  I had tried to right click many times on the flash of a desktop, but it always went to the black screen of death before there was a response to the click.  I tried your suggestion of ctrl-alt-T and it did bring up a window that probably was going to have the terminal, but alas that bud was nipped by the black screen of death as well.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:01 pm »
Would you mind using whatever LiveUSB or LiveCD you used to install peppermint with to get back into a Live Session? Once there, give us the output from

Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz

Then as you close out the live session to reboot ... do you see the grub menu? and can you choose a repair option?

:-\
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »
try get into tty by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 at the login screen then try the solution in the link below and once done press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to login screen and  then try login.

https://vitux.com/how-to-change-screen-resolution-through-the-ubuntu-terminal/

may or may not work but worth a go anyway. also try purging that variety program first as well
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline Alex Boatman

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:31:43 am »
Thanks folks.  I tried all of the suggestions, but to no avail  So I just went ahead and re-installed everything.  Best of luck to all.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 01:23:26 pm »
Thanks folks.  I tried all of the suggestions, but to no avail  So I just went ahead and re-installed everything.  Best of luck to all.

Might be best to avoid that program in future, I could turn up no link to it specifically, since Variety Magazine dominates the search results...

Please remember to edit your OP (original post) click MODIFY, then append (ABANDONED) at the end.

;)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild