Choose style:

Author Topic: Backing up MBR using Live USB  (Read 225 times)

Offline hellbraker

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Backing up MBR using Live USB
« on: April 01, 2020, 01:42:47 pm »
Hi there,

I have to say thank you for releasing Peppermint. Because I tried, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy Linux, Elementary OS and finally POP OS.  They all boot up. But they don't recognise or needs further work in recognising my old system. Except for Peppermint. It just work out of the box including an old Belkin WiFi dongle.
Now a bit about my machine. It has no UEFI but uses MBR to boot Windows 7 32 bit. Ram is a meagre 1.5 GB.  Hard disk is of 140 ish GB space.

What I intend is to dual boot. But before even attempting this, I would like to know if the Live USB can back up and restore the current MBR if things get wrong. I am new to Linux so please bear that in mind. Thank you

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Backing up MBR using Live USB
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 02:10:03 pm »
Hi hellbraker,

As far as I know the Peppermint installer does not back up and restore the MBR. However, the program gparted (which I believe is included in the Live USB) will permit the user to do this.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:00 pm »
Hello and Welcome to Peppermint and our forums @hellbraker!

We're pleased you are enjoying PeppermintOS! Although we have to admit it is largely the work of our beloved and late builder/dev/owner @PCNetSpec. We all helped him test and sometimes contributed ideas... but he is very largely responsible for what you are now using.

FWIW... I have never needed a back up of the MBR. The LiveUSB or LIveCD that you create in order to install PeppermintOS will ask you to choose the Device For Boot Loader Installation ... and it always belongs on whatever drive you are installing upon, not in any one partition ...

;)

Good Luck & Let us know how you get along...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:53:52 am by spence, Reason: clarification edit »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Howling Wolf

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:03 am »
In any case of emergency make a live usb with boot repair image: https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/ It will do the trick if you cannot boot. Also you can renew your MBR with that. Good luck!