Author Topic: Can't install Peppermint 10 on HP Elitebook (SOLVED)  (Read 195 times)

Offline Littlelegs

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Can't install Peppermint 10 on HP Elitebook (SOLVED)
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:44:56 am »
I have built a USB with peppermint 10 on and can run this on the HP no problem  But when I try and install to the hard disk it does not even get to the screen saying its installing and to wait.  The cursor changes to show its doing something and I can still us the system but never installs to the hard disk. I have tried re-partitioning,  re formatting, letting the install format and not hing happens.  I have seen an error sometimes that says something about an error 10.

Can I send you logs to to see what is happening.  I also see some errors sometime flash up on the screen but they disappear to quickly to see what they are.
I am new to Linux so will need some guidance to locate files.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:17:31 pm by Littlelegs »

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Can't install Peppermint 10 on HP Elitebook
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:14:49 pm »
I have Peppermint installed on an HP Elitebook and it has installed with no problem.  Until one of the more knowledgeable members come around let me ask, How about your hard drive.  What was the last OS installed on it and how did it run?  Any issues with it?  When I first got into Linux, using an Asus eeepc, I had issues installing because it was a bad hard drive.
On the Pepp usb, what program did you use to make it?  Where did you download it from?  In my experience the live version would run well but installation would not always go right because something in the iso I downloaded was messed up.

Online Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:18 am »
Hi Littlelegs,

Good advice from @stevesveryown. Run a complete HDD check using perhaps this article or this one to guide you.  ;)

Also be sure to check the integrity of your PeppermintOS ISO by making sure that the checksums that you get match those we have published (they appear on the drop down when you click on the Download button at peppermintos.com.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:17:16 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Littlelegs

• Newly Subscribed
  • New To PeppermintOS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 03:18:17 pm »
Ok I used Rufus to build the USB and that worked fine.
I thought I would try a different Linux to see if it was the install routine  I chose MX Linux and that has installed fine first time so it was not hardware. There must be an issue with the install routine or the package in some way.
I will stay with MX for now and try Peppermint again some other time.

Thanks for the responses.

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:31:59 pm »
We're happy you found a solution, sorry it wasn't peppermintOS. Be that as it may, please remember to kindly edit the subject line of your OP (original post) in this or any of your threads to append (SOLVED), (RESOLVED) or (ABANDONED) at the end. Whichever best suits the completion of your OP (original post)

For further reading about why we ask for this bit of forum etiquette and how to do so, please read the pinned post by peppermintOS founder Kendall Weaver here:

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,24.0.html

;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:43:56 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.