Author Topic: root password forgotten  (Read 182 times)

Offline altoid6

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
root password forgotten
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:39:48 pm »
to whom it may concern:     embarrassingly have forgotten root password
--------

*    successfully accessed recovery mode :   scrolled down the list to [  root  ]  from the given options ( from top to bottom ) :   resume / dpkg / failsafeX / fsck / grub / network / root / system summary   
*    selected root  [  enter  ]   < - - -   was hoping to be able to access root prompt here /  and create new password  from the following command  - - -   mount -o rw, remount /           but, ...............
*    it is asking me for my root password here .   i cannot give it  /  because I have foolishly forgotten it
      suggestion   ?

signed,      altoid6

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
Re: root password forgotten
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:05 am »
Might this link help you, altoid6? 

I don't know of anyone using root in Ubuntu-based distributions, but we use sudo all the time.  Honestly I think I could reinstall Peppermint faster than going through this entire process, but if you're one of billions of people who are now stuck inside their homes during a deadly, worldwide pandemic, you just might find this fun to try. 

Good luck! ;)

https://itsfoss.com/how-to-hack-ubuntu-password/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline altoid6

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:31 am »
perknh -
                  as i mentioned in my post  ....    when i select the [ root ] option from recovery mode  - - -   it doesnt give me a prompt
                  *  your link shows someone receiving a 'prompt' 
                  *  i dont  get  a  prompt
                  *  your link isnt offering me a solution

but thanks for trying   

altoid6

Online Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:59 am »
Hi altoid6,

It is unclear to me: have you set up an extra root account/password and now you have forgotten that password? Or have you forgotten your normal user login password (that is also used when invoking sudo)?  :-\ In your first message you said that you only were able to progress to the point where you were getting prompted to enter your root password. It would be nice to tell us each step you followed to get to this prompt for your root password.  ;)   I say this because the way you described in your initial message does not seem to be the same as the steps you followed in your second message (where you say that you did not see any prompt at all). 

Also, in the link provided by perknh, did you try the "Alternate method to reset Ubuntu password" near the end of the article?

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:38:04 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome