Choose style:

Author Topic: icon with internet traffic data (Solved)  (Read 236 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: icon with internet traffic data
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 04:10:40 pm »
Hi stilnovo,

Well, that decision -- marking this thread as (SOLVED) -- is yours to make: if you are satisfied that the issue has been resolved, then O.K. And I guess it seems to be, seeing as how we cannot find anything in xfce4 that provides you with the information you desire. I agree that it is unfortunate and it would be much nicer if developers made more effort to design their apps to be as "independent" as possible from specific WMs/DEs -- but that is, I'm sorry to say, no longer the "trend".

I am not a great fan of conky, but 00ninja has one possible solution using conky that actually looks pretty nice. The other is to simply always start a terminal window with nload or bmon and see if they are acceptable solutions for you.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 04:56:18 pm »
@spence, @slim

thank you very much for your nice support!

All the Best for you and your Family.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: icon with internet traffic data (Solved)
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 05:33:20 pm »
Heh! I just looked at the Conky on this box.

Here's a (partial) snippet:

When I first looked at the data traffic, I freaked out -- 760 GB   :o

Then, I realized the uptime is 134 days, 20 hours -- thus, 5.6 GB / day

Whew! That almost gave me a heart attack  :))

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 03:47:44 am »
@spence, @slim

Hi stilnovo,

Thank you very much for the kind words! Seeing that you appear to be in Italy, we at Team Peppermint also wish the best to you and your loved ones -- mi stia bene! ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:50:29 am by Slim.Fatz »

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 05:47:59 am »
@vindsl

no, you are not right: you should add also 44,6GB of uploaded datas to do a correct average... :-)

By the way, I don't know conky and I've just installed it, so I have to learn: how did you add your 'wired net' module?

Yes, I live in Italy, in the north of Italy, right in the area where Covid19 is hitting very hard... from today many companies are closed until the 3rd of april... well, now I have time to study some more bash scripts!! :-(

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 06:31:30 am »
Hi stilnovo,

Here in Germany we are seeing things become worse and worse each day. I live very near the border to France (the region we call Elsass -- l'Alsazia in Italian) and they are being also hit very hard. Several hospitals in my area have taken some of the most critically ill patients from l'Alsazia who need respirators, but it will not be long until all of our capacity is full with German patients ... :o

As for your interest in conky: it is quite powerfull and you really do not need to add any extra modules to get most information presented in a nice way. The learning curve might be a bit steep, but never fear: you cannot destroy your computer or your Peppermint installation!  ;D For configuration options/information check out this article and this web page. Have fun and show us how your results finally look.

Regards,

-- Slim

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 01:27:39 am »
@spence, @slim

Thank you @stilnovo! We still feel a wee bit rudderless over here on #teampeppermint at the moment. So we greatly appreciate yours and everyone elses patience and understanding...

Thank you for sticking with us on @PCNetSpec's latest release of peppermintOS

;)    8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:51:33 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 02:19:07 am »
@vindsl

no, you are not right: you should add also 44,6GB of uploaded datas to do a correct average... :-)

By the way, I don't know conky and I've just installed it, so I have to learn: how did you add your 'wired net' module?

True -- point taken  ;)

Here's my automatic network detection code:

Code: [Select]
##################################
##   NETWORK - AUTO DETECTION   ##
##################################
## WIRELESS/WIFI SECTION ##
${if_existing /proc/net/route ${template7}}
${voffset -11}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}WIFI NET${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}T${font DroidSans:size=8.65}${color3}${offset 5}Download${goto 120}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${totaldown ${template7}}${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${downspeed ${template7}}${font}
${voffset 0}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}N${font DroidSans:size=8.65}${color3}${offset 5}Upload${goto 120}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${totalup ${template7}}${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${upspeed ${template7}}${font}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${font DroidSans:size=8.65}${color3}${offset 5}Private${offset 3}IP${goto 123}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.5}LAN${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${addr ${template7}}${font}
#
## Uncomment [THIS] to display your Public/WAN URL (WIFI) - via checkip.dyndns.org
${voffset 0}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${font DroidSans:size=8.65}${color3}${offset 5}Public${offset 7}IP${goto 121}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.5}WAN${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${alignr}${execi 1800 wget -q -o /dev/null -O - checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/[^[:digit:]\|.]//g'}${font}${else}
#
## Uncomment [OR THIS] to obscure your Public/WAN URL (WIFI) - for privacy, screenshots, etc
# ${voffset 0}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${font DroidSans:size=8.65}${color3}${offset 5}Public${offset 7}IP${goto 121}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.5}WAN${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${alignr}Demo Mode${font}${else}
#
## WIRED/ETHERNET SECTION ##
${if_existing /proc/net/route ${template8}}
${voffset -33}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}WIRED NET${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
${voffset 2}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}T${voffset -1}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.2}${color3}${offset 5}Download${goto 120}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${totaldown ${template8}}${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.2}${downspeed ${template8}}${font}
${voffset -4}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}N${voffset -1}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.2}${color3}${offset 5}Upload${goto 120}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${totalup ${template8}}${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.2}${upspeed ${template8}}${font}
${voffset -3}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${voffset -1}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.2}${color3}${offset 5}Private${offset 3}IP${goto 123}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.3}LAN${alignr}${font DroidSans:size=8.2}${addr ${template8}}${font}
#
## Uncomment [THIS] to display your Public/WAN URL (WIRED) - via checkip.dyndns.org
# ${voffset -3}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${voffset -1}${font DroidSans:size=8.2}${color3}${offset 5}Public${offset 7}IP${goto 121}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.3}WAN${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${voffset -1}${alignr}${execi 1800 wget -q -o /dev/null -O - checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/[^[:digit:]\|.]//g'}${font}${else}
#
## Uncomment [OR THIS] to obscure your Public/WAN URL (WIRED) - for privacy, screenshots, etc
${voffset -4}${font PizzaDudeBullets:size=9.5}${color6}a${voffset 0}${font DroidSans:size=8.2}${color3}${offset 5}Public${offset 7}IP${goto 121}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.5}WAN${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${voffset -1}${alignr}Demo Mode${font}${else}
#
## COMMON DISCONNECTED/OFFLINE SECTION ##
${voffset -22}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}NETWORK${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
${voffset 25}${goto 77}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}NO CONNECTION${voffset 23}${font}${endif}${endif}

BTW, I incorporate templates in conky.config, where appropriate, to cut down on repetitious code in the conky.text section.

Here are the templates I use, in the auto net detection code (above):

Code: [Select]
--####
--## Define the Wireless interface name - wlan0, wlan1, etc. (required)
--#
template7 = 'wlan0',
--####
--## Define the Wired interface name - eth0, eth1, etc. (required)
--#
template8 = 'eno1'
--####
--## Tips n' Tricks: To find these interface names, type 'route' in CLI and look in the 'Iface' column.
--#

Have fun   :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:37:54 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline 00ninja

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 R2 (x64), P9 (x64)
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 12:45:32 pm »
BTW, I incorporate templates in conky.config, where appropriate, to cut down on repetitious code in the conky.text section.

Great idea, thanks for sharing! This could also help with multiple systems running Conky with different network adapter names, which I have to deal with. I use templates for colors and fonts, but didnt realize I could use for other items such as this.  :)