Choose style:

Author Topic: icon with internet traffic data (Solved)  (Read 235 times)

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
icon with internet traffic data (Solved)
« on: March 20, 2020, 02:11:03 pm »
Hi to Everybody,

I'd like to have in taskbar an icon where I can check the consumption of internet data. Network manager should have it, like the one in Lubuntu, or it could be ok also something like Netspeed.

I don't need in this case a tool that shows me a lot of parameters: since I use a lot internet connection via hotspot, I would like to check in real time from my computer how many GB I am using.

I've looked a lot but I wasn't able to find anything: could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance! Andrea
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:00:48 pm by stilnovo »

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: icon with internet traffic data
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:36 am »
No one can help me?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 08:08:42 am »
Hi stilnovo,

Try installing xfce4-netload-plugin (which is for the xfce4 panel). Open a terminal and enter:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install xfce4-netload-plugin
Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 03:40:36 pm »
 Hi Mr. Slim,.

thank you for your answer.

I've installed the plugin, I've found it on the items of the panel and I have added it. Now I can see the 'net' writing and two little lines: if I put the mouse over, it 'says' that the 'interface is off' (in italian, but that is the meaning). Infact I don't see any value: what is my mistake?

Thanks  in advance!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 03:58:04 pm »
Hi stilnovo,

I'm sorry, but I do not use this plugin myself. I only did a search for xfce4 packages and found that one. Perhaps you should check the xfce4 documentation for the plugin (if there is any). Maybe someone else on the forum has experience using this plugin and can help you. If I find anything then I will certainly let you know.

Regards,

-- Slim

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 01:00:02 am »
No one can help me?

Technically, this isn't a peppermintOS related support request, for you are asking about functionality not included in our ISO.

That said, I've never used such a thing, so I can't help you any further than @Slim.Fatz already has. Any further queries about the plugin really might be more properly directed here:

https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-netload-plugin
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 07:21:49 am »
@spence

thanks for your reply, but since peppermint has a very xfce customized desktop, I have asked in this forum.

Anyway, it would be not a bad idea to have a tool to monitor the consumption of internet data: with coronavirus, a lot of people is obliged to stay at home. Where I live I have a good internet connection only at work or, now that I am (obliged to be) at home, using my mobile as hotspot: so, it could be useful to directly check on my notebook and not to go everytime to the smartphone to verify how many datas have gone...indeed, peppermint relies a lot about web, so it could be useful twice than a 'normal' ubuntu...

Only a suggestion.

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 07:35:02 am »
Hi, I have gone to the xfce link to see the documentation.

This plug-in only shows the real time consumptions and not the total data usage, so it is not useful to check how much traffic you have used.

By the way, a suggestion: to put the right device in this plug-in (is requested to work), don't automatically write wlan0 (for wireless, of course), but check in the terminal with iwconfig the proper name.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 08:04:08 am »
Hi stilnovo,

Sorry that the xfce4-netload-plugin does not provide you with what you are hoping to find.  :(

As a quick alternative (although it does not run in the panel, but rather in a terminal window) is nload. You can install it with this command:

sudo apt-get install nload
Then simply run it in a terminal window. It monitors your network traffic and bandwidth usage in real time. It will display the total amount of data that has been transferred over a network device since your last reboot, as well as some other stats.

Another command line tool similar to nload but offers additional output options is bmon, which you can install with this command:

sudo apt-get install bmon

and also start it in a terminal window with: bmon

I hope one of these provides what it is that you wish have.  :)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline 00ninja

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 R2 (x64), P9 (x64)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 09:12:46 am »
Hi stilnovo,

I have something similar to what you are looking for, but it is part of my Conky setup. I have a section that lists the current upload and download speeds and also lists the totals for both. It uses the 'downspeed', 'upspeed', 'downtotal' and 'uptotal' variables.

Here is a snippet from my Conky for the Network section. It has an if_existing statement that determines if I am on ethernet or wifi, but you can just use whichever section needed:

${if_existing /sys/class/net/eno1/operstate up}$font${color2}wired: ${addr eno1}$alignr$font${color2} public: {not listed}
DOWN: ${downspeed eno1}$alignr${upspeed eno1} :UP
Total: ${totaldown eno1}$alignr${totalup eno1} :Total
${endif}${if_existing /sys/class/net/wlan0/operstate up}$font${color2}wireless: ${addr wlan0}$alignr$font${color2} public: {not listed}
DOWN: ${downspeed wlan0}$alignr${upspeed wlan0} :UP
Total: ${totaldown wlan0}$alignr${totalup wlan0} :Total
${endif}

Just replace the references to my ethernet device name 'eno1' and/or my wifi device name 'wlan0' by grabbing your device names using something like 'ip addr show' in a terminal.

In the config section, I have it set to update every 3 sections, so you can adjust that as needed:

update_interval = 3,

Let me know if you need any help, I am not a Conky expert but I did put this together and works like a charm for my use.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:23:06 am by 00ninja »

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 09:29:37 am »
@slim

thank you very much for your valuable suggestions, I will give nload a try (it seems quite similar to the old ntm).

Anyway, I will try to look also to the xfce docs, if you find something more, let me know!

Ciao!

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 09:40:04 am »
@ninja

very nice suggestion!

I will give a try also to that!

Anyway: I still remember with much nostalgia that little icon in XP taskbar with network informations... the same one that I have in my Lubuntu desktop anyway!

But... I don't understand why the same network-manager I use in Lubuntu and in Debian (LXDE) here in Peppermint it doesn't have (or I am not able to get it) that little icon (network indicator)...

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:15 am »
Hi stilnovo,

Lubuntu may use the same network-manager as we do but it also uses nm-tray (which we do not use) and it might be what provides the information you seek. Why do we not have it? Well, actually you can install it, but it pulls in (on my machine) over 60 additional packages in order for it to function. It is a Qt application, not xfce4;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline stilnovo

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 03:24:30 pm »
@slim

you are right!! nm-tray is the solution!!

It's a pity that xfce4 doesn't have a similar package, but anyway thank you: now I have understood the problem.

Thank you, I imagine I could mark as 'solved', now: am I right?

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 04:04:31 pm »
thanks for your reply, but since peppermint has a very xfce customized desktop, I have asked in this forum.

g'afternoon @stilnovo,

If our beloved developer, leader, peppermintOS owner @PCNetSpec were still with us, he'd likely happily join you in setting up such a thing to solve your query. He was completely fascinated & intrigued by linux's modularity. He delighted in figuring out how to use bits and pieces from all forms of distributions, after obtaining permission from their owners of course. He was completely devoted and had the time, while the rest of the #teampeppermint he assembled here are mostly focused on their individual family's health and safety at this time.

Furthermore, in his absence, the remainder of #teampeppermint do not have the legal right to modify his work in any way. Not only would adding such a package move outside his peppermint ethos of

>never make software choices for end users!<  ;)

... more importantly, he owned all rights to all things peppermintOS, and now his heirs do. We are still attempting to navigate legal permissions with them in order to continue here. While End Users can add packages freely, we can make no changes to the peppermintOS iso distributions until that hurdle is crossed. We hope you understand.

:(    :-\    :'(

Now I will ask you to kindly edit your original post's subject line to append (SOLVED)  (RESOLVED) or (ABANDONED) at the end whenever you feel your query has been satisfied. Whichever you feel best suits you.

;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:16:12 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.