Author Topic: New Purchases 2020  (Read 1379 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
New Purchases 2020
« on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:29 pm »
Been hunkering down, the last few days, and got bored.   ::)

Hey, eBay is open 24/7/365, right? What better way to socially distance myself?!

I love Dell 7010 i7 DT boxes -- already own two (2) of them. When properly config'ed, they fly like the wind (3-5 sec. boot on PM).

For shiggles, when I see Dell 7010 i7's being auctioned on eBay, I bid some ridiculously low offers.

Guess nobody is in the mood to play, right now - just picked up two (2) more of them...

New Dell mouse - new Dell keyboard - new WD HDD with a fresh install of winders 10 Pro, et cetera.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
Re: New Purchases 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:19 pm »

Guess nobody is in the mood to play, right now - just picked up two (2) more of them...

Everybody's saving all their spare cash for beans, canned goods, coffee, rice and toilet paper...

::)

Nice snag though
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 01:26:53 pm »

Everybody's saving all their spare cash for beans, canned goods, coffee, rice and toilet paper...

::)

Nice snag though

Yeah, they're distracted more than usual -- that's for sure.

The whole 'thing' is rather ironic. Take "social distancing"...

They've been doing that for years. Datum proves "physical distancing" is what's needed in pandemics.

On food items: We build our own -- bread, refried beans, rice dishes, yogurt, apple sauce, lemon curd, blah, blah, blah. All we need are the basic components (bought in bulk) and electricity -- all of which is ironically similar to the way I rig computers, web sites, code, and so forth.

Anyway, yes. Every crowd  has a silver lining.

Now that I have a lifetime supply of Dell i7 Optiplex's, I can unsubscribe the search on eBay and start looking for gingerbread items -- RAM, SSDs, dedicated PCI-E network cards & video cards, et cetera.

Might as well get 'em while the getting's good, right? An opportunity like this only comes around every 100 years   ;)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »

On food items: We build our own -- bread, refried beans, rice dishes, yogurt, apple sauce, lemon curd, blah, blah, blah. All we need are the basic components (bought in bulk) and electricity -- all of which is ironically similar to the way I rig computers, web sites, code, and so forth.

None of those things are allowed in our pantry, nor on our plates. I suppose we may wind down to them eventually if forced to do so. Also a good time to get back on intermittent fasting...

;)

spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
Different strokes...

I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian since WELL into the last century. I don't take any medications, and I 'fast' 14-16 hours every day. Actually, I could care less about food (or sleep). All it does is slow me down.

The last time I was in Vegas, I lost 13 pounds (3-day stay). I was living on coffee, and a single slice of cheese pizza, per day, before bedtime.

My diet would be detrimental to most humans; but, you know what they say. What doesn't kill you...  8)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:35 am »
The Dell Optiplex 7010 i7 DT twins showed up, at my doorstep. Judging by the exterior appearance of the boxes, they had a rough ride (UPS shipping) but the contents were well packaged with 'bubble wrap.' So, no harm, no foul  :)

When I bench tested these machines (using a PM10 Live USB stick), everything worked fine. Dittos for winders 'Tin' Pro.

The only problem I discovered was, one of the USB slots, on one of the computers, was internally broken. Looks like the previous owner/lessee used the front panel USB slots a lot (but not the backside slots). Besides the broken USB slot, on the front panel, the contacts in the other USB slots were heavily worn & flattened, so buying a new front input panel was in order.

Gotta love that eBay -- Brand new OEM replacement parts, for pennies on the wholesale dollar:

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:33:23 am »
I have a Optiplex which was reconditioned from Amazon. It's so compact inside that trying to get at the hard drive bay to change to a SSD is a nightmare. Half of it's innards has to be removed to get to the hard drive. Knowing my luck I'll end up with extra bits, that won't go back in. Ikea furniture is the same. :))
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:47:30 am »
I have a Optiplex [...]

Half of it's innards has to be removed to get to the hard drive [....]
Ikea furniture is the same. :))

Brilliant analogy!

Yes, all of the Dell products I own are like Ikea furniture. I believe Dell does this, because they offer so many different options, from the factory. They need to be modular, and relatively tool-less. However, size matters...

Put another way, they're sort of like women. One can take a 'Plain Jane' and doll them up' to look any way they want.

Think...

https://youtu.be/6JqknijwSHI

* Yes, I watched the whole (hilarious) video -- all 18 minutes  ;D

Dell Optiplex 7010 boxes come in four (4) different shapes and sizes.  Think 'Goldilocks and the [Four] Bears'.

Personally, I prefer the ones in the center -- the SFF and DT models. The 'bookends' are too small and too big :

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:13:02 pm by VinDSL »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 11:22:38 pm »
I have a Optiplex  [...] It's so compact inside that trying to get at the hard drive bay to change to a SSD is a nightmare.

The new front input panel arrived today. 

I don't know which was harder -- taking out the original, or installing the replacement.

All n' All, it wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was NOT to damage the surrounding wiring and connectors.

I took my time, with lots of good lighting and my trusty Optivisor. Think "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids."  :))

https://youtu.be/jZz89oeLYt4

Probably took a half-hour --  start to finish...

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 06:22:32 am »
Blimey the bloke in the video near the end looked like he'd just forged a dollar, the way he was looking at it. An hour hey, at least you had the right tools to fit the panel. All I want to do in mine is change the hard drive, can't even see it. Hidden away deep inside. Loved the makeup video too and laughed my head off, she has a really good sense of humor.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »
I ordered a couple of Intel Desktop Adapter PRO/1000 GT Low Profile PWLA8391GTLBLK nics, for my 'new' Dell 7010 i7 DT boxes.

It's probably over-kill, but I hate the pseudo, integrated nics that are baked into motherboards. Separate, dedicated  plug-in cards work better, and use fewer system resources, IMO.

Intel PWLA8391GTLBLK nics are my go-to card, and all of my desktops have them. I found two (2) of these nics on eBay, in "Never used. Pulled from unused machines" condition, for $22.97 (to the door). They arrived today, and look/work like new -- plus, they came with the optional, relatively rare, low-profile bracket(s):

These cards only take a couple of minutes to install, so I immediately threw them in the boxes and tested them:

Perfect!  I have a 60/5 mbps bonded pair VDSL connection, here at the abode, and the nics are (basically) running at full-speed, with IPv4 & IPv6 connectivity.

Guess I'll start looking for a couple of dedicated graphic cards now, in order to get them off the bus, too.

Onward and upward...   8)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 11:26:52 am »
Out of boredom, and for the sake of conversation...

I snagged an unbelievable deal on eBay, last week -- an Actiontec C3000A modem/router for $26.40 USD (Delivered).

If you're cooped up in lock-down, and bored out of your mind, you might find this DSLReports convo entertaining.

Redirect to DSLReports:  https://is.gd/P5JKNh   ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:35:30 am by VinDSL »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:14:45 am »
I'm running out of challenges, and decided to upgrade a much neglected HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF box, that was buried in the closet. It's been sitting around so long, I almost forget I owned one. I'm a Dell fanboi.

This winders 7 era 64bit HP business machine was manufactured before UEFI/Secure Boot was invented, so I didn't have to worry about that - the options don't even exist in its BIOS.

I evidently had previously installed 8GB RAM and a 250GB Sammy SSD (which I'd also forgotten about). Really, the only thing left to do was find the fastest OEM CPU available, at the time it was originally built @ HP, and buy the matching accessory 1 GB HP PCIe NIC.

Turned out to be a very pleasing upgrade project. Amazingly, PM10R & winders 10 Pro are both flying like the wind...   ;D

* I didn't need two NICs, but it doesn't hurt to have a spare. The CPU was the cleanest, scratch-free one I've ever bought.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
I unloaded all the "extra laptops & PCs" back in 2018... I channeled my challenges energy elsewhere today...

8)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 11:01:24 pm »
I unloaded all the "extra laptops & PCs" back in 2018... I channeled my challenges energy elsewhere today...

Right. I suppose I could take up gardening, golf, or whatevs, but the whole world revolves around two (2) things: electricity and debt. Take away either one, and it'll all come crashing down like a house of cards.

I figure, it's a way of saving humanity  :))