Author Topic: Working From Home with LInux During COVID-19  (Read 979 times)

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Working From Home with LInux During COVID-19
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:07:28 pm »
So I actually worked from home for a few hours today and expect to be doing more while COVID-19 is a serious issue here in Los Angeles county. There's a ton of remote work posts on the web but nothing about Linux so I wrote a thing.

https://www.linuxbookpro.com/working-from-home-with-linux-during-covid-19/

Although I'm a die hard Peppermint user I opted to change up my work workflows in Lubuntu thus keeping it visually and physcially different from personal and leisure activities.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:09:03 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Re: Working From Home with LInux During COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 10:43:10 pm »
i just worked my last shift until its safe to go back to work, whenever that is.
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59:37 am »
Its getting crazy. A friend of mine was abruptly laid off after the MLB and NHL seasons were cancelled. The restaurant she works at relies heavily on stadium traffic.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 12:12:57 pm »
So I actually worked from home for a few hours today and expect to be doing more while COVID-19 is a serious issue here in Los Angeles county. There's a ton of remote work posts on the web but nothing about Linux so I wrote a thing.

Although I'm a die hard Peppermint user I opted to change up my work workflows in Lubuntu thus keeping it visually and physcially different from personal and leisure activities.
That is a very good idea to have 2 different systems to separate work from play.  Trains your mind, kind of like a service dog.  While his vest is on he's at work, ever diligent.  With it off he can relax and play.

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (64 Bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Well I'm retired since 2017 and enjoying it so hanging around the house is the norm.

I've been going through boxes of old electronics parts  / old radio chassis / old TV chassis / old test equipment and whatever else.

I have everything loaded in the truck to take out to the farm to be used for a better purpose where it will be blasted full of holes.  ;D

Why do this is you ask.  ???  Simple answer it's a lot of fun.  ;D

And.

I haven't been able to sell any of it.  :(
I haven't been able to give any of it away.  :(
I'm unwilling to put forth anymore effort to find useful outlets to repurposed it.  ???  :o  :(

I also have scrapped out around twenty old desktops and laptops and they will also be going out to the farm to be blasted full of holes.  ;D

And.

I set up my reloading equipment and reloaded quite a pile of 357 magnum rounds and 38 special rounds so I can go out to the farm and do some shooting.  :)  ;D  8)

The Wife and I enjoy shooting firearms.  :)

So that's kinda what we've been doing to try and make the best out of this situation.  :)

Life is good.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:34:51 pm by 151tom »
“Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” - Mark Twain

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:38 pm »
ive spent the last 3 weeks locked up sick as a dog, thought it was a regular chest infection at first but it mightve been covid because i had nearly every symptom of it. started feeling it the day after i finished work and thankfully im almost over it. today i havent felt crap for once, messing with linux, gimp and chatting on discord kept me somewhat sane hahaa
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »
So I actually worked from home for a few hours today and expect to be doing more while COVID-19 is a serious issue here in Los Angeles county.

Nice post @josephd ... good advice now that I am spending more time focused on peppermint.

I left the workforce in '02 and hubster retired in '08. We had already decided earlier that year that it was way past time to leave our young adult lives behind in DC and move cross country to retire with a clean break in AZ. We knew nobody in Arizona, save a DC Dance Hall Days' dance partner's realtor sister. We meandered on our Magical Mystery Go West Retirement tour visiting friends and relatives along the way.

Given all of that, until recently I have never needed this sort of separation for my online world. I may begin some separation now though as my time fills with genealogy research whenever our forums are quiet.

Suffice to say, all this self distancing & quarantine hasn't really changed our lives too much. Aside from destroying my personal penchant for nightlife & socializing, while removing our personal freedom of choice, that is.

8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:07:54 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
Working From Home with LInux During COVID-19
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 10:33:59 am »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:36:12 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 11:23:41 am »
Grrrr !!  :D
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome