Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Not being able to make a live bootable USB  (Read 536 times)

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
[RESOLVED]Not being able to make a live bootable USB
« on: March 05, 2020, 12:13:58 am »
I feel a bit silly posting this question to the sub, but I am not able to understand where I am going wrong with this.
I have used the peppermint native app, Etcher, Rufus for windows, changed my pendrive, downloaded the image twice, even downloaded Linux mint for a change. I have change boot first by USB in BIOS, and all the stuff that I used to in the previous instances when I have booted via USB. but my PC does not recognise my USB to boot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. ;D :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:41:14 pm by Ananta »

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Re: Not being able to make a live bootable USB
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 07:58:13 am »
have you disabled secure boot or used legacy bios instead of uefi? also if youre rebooting to try boot the live usb, try shutting down fully and powering up instead as ive had trouble with that at times on certain systems.
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 04:27:22 am »
have you disabled secure boot or used legacy bios instead of uefi?
My PC uses Legacy BIOS by default. I have rad that it may be  due to the wrong partition format, But I am nowhere close to solving it. :(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:34:07 am by Ananta »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 04:39:00 am »
I would keep trying USB sticks until you find one your PC is happy with booting from. Some of them are very picky.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:35:22 am »
Hi Ananta, have you tried reformatting your usb stick before burning the iso file to it? Reformat it to fat32 and try again.
What was I thinking?

Offline mleskau@gmail.com

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 04:48:04 am »
Hi

I am also new at this, but more accustomed to Linux mint. I used RUFUS and created a USB stick. Downloaded the Peppermint 10 ISO and loaded the USB with RUFUS. All goes well, but when I want to boot up with the USB, it first does not boot up and the second time, the Menu comes up, but stays stuck. Investigating under RUFUS, I found a comment that you should use a USB stick with the minimum of *GB. I had been using a 4GB. I redone all on a 8GB USB and all of a sudden, all is well. I am not sure that you have the same problem, but try it. It might sort your problem.

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 04:53:11 am »
Hi Ananta, have you tried reformatting your usb stick before burning the iso file to it? Reformat it to fat32 and try again.
I have always left it to the software to format my drive, but now I will make sure I do that myself . Thanks

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 04:57:50 am »
Hi

I am also new at this, but more accustomed to Linux mint. I used RUFUS and created a USB stick. Downloaded the Peppermint 10 ISO and loaded the USB with RUFUS. All goes well, but when I want to boot up with the USB, it first does not boot up and the second time, the Menu comes up, but stays stuck. Investigating under RUFUS, I found a comment that you should use a USB stick with the minimum of *GB. I had been using a 4GB. I redone all on a 8GB USB and all of a sudden, all is well. I am not sure that you have the same problem, but try it. It might sort your problem.
Yes, I have generally been using a 4GB USB drive to live boot,and it did work for me in previous occasions. but I did try with a 16GB drive as well this time around. Maybe I'll give that drive a go again. Thank you! :D

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 11:54:40 pm »
Hi ananta, you mentioned your PC uses Legacy by default, can you set it to use either or Legacy/UEFI? Enable both?
What was I thinking?

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 03:22:48 am »
Thank you all who tried to help me here. I finally got a pendrive that works on my PC, and so far, it is booting well. Thank you all.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 08:25:55 am »
Thank you all who tried to help me here. I finally got a pendrive that works on my PC, and so far, it is booting well. Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum @Ananta!  Glad you found a drive that works. Sometimes it's best to not dig into why things suddenly worked. Please kindly remember to mark it as such, you can do this by editing the subject line of your OP (original post) and appending (RESOLVED)  at the end. This helps in two ways: Future forum users with similar issues will find a solution & Peppermint moderators won't need  to spend time reading thru solved threads.

:)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.