Choose style:

Author Topic: The path to the file in the terminal (Resolved).  (Read 143 times)

Offline sbrazh

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint seven
The path to the file in the terminal (Resolved).
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:51:06 am »
Hello. Why, when dragging a file into the terminal, the path to this file is not displayed in the terminal. In many distributions, this is so. What needs to be done to make it work? thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:00:35 pm by sbrazh »

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: The path to the file in the terminal.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 09:44:30 pm »
Being a rather devoted non-distro-hopping peppermintOS user since peppermintOne, I had never encountered that functionality @sbrazh. I booted over to Ubuntu and sure enough dragging a file into the terminal they use over there allowed it to appear. Though it seems to be a longer way round to open a file than just double clicking. While ubuntu uses the gnome terminal, peppermintOS has been using sakura for the last several releases. I was not privy to the discussion about the reasons #teampeppermint chose it, but given our lightweight ethos, I suspect that was the case.

As for making the changes you request, it is not our project, thus out of our purview, you'd need to ask Sakura's maintainers here:
https://launchpad.net/sakura or here: http://www.pleyades.net/david/projects/sakura

If this answers your question to your satisfaction, please edit the subject line of your OP and append (Resolved) at the end.

;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:08:45 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline sbrazh

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint seven
Re: The path to the file in the terminal.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »
Thanks, okay. I understood that this is a matter of facilitating the terminal program and is not a big problem. This is not a big price to pay for a great product - Peppermint OS).

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
Re: The path to the file in the terminal (Resolved).
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:47 pm »
If my memory serves me, you are free to replace Sakura with any terminal of your choice sbrazh. While @PCNetSpec chose it for it's lightness, part of the delight of linux is being able to add and remove packages as your heart desires. Just keep in mind your system's capabilities and resources, for gnome terminal will may or may not pull in a hefty pile of dependencies. (EDITED: to be in line with @Slim.Fatz clarification

A quick glance back at the developers discussion reveals we were pondering swapping out Sakura with xfce4-terminal as far back as peppermintOS 8. I am also reminded that peppermintOS founder @kendall chose it long ago for it's compatibility with gtk3 apps which he wanted to move towards using.

All that said, I am not a coder nor a developer, so I'm not sure if it's a simple swap or not?

:-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:07:20 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 05:37:53 pm »
I added the xfce4 terminal to my Peppermint setups.  I set mine to dropdown.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:06:42 am »
Hi sbrazh,

As stevesveryown implies: installing another terminal is not difficult.  ;)

Like spence, I have never noticed this "feature" before -- although I do not distro hope much these days. Which terminal is it that you see this "feature" incorporating? If it happens to gnome-terminal, then contrary to what spence said, installation of gnome-terminal does not pull in that many other needed packages (dependencies). You can check this yourself by using the synaptic package manager (installed by default in PeppermintOS). Just start synaptic, then "mark for installation" the package for the terminal you are interested in installing and you will be shown a list of any other packages that will also be installed with the new terminal. If the number of new packages looks to large for your liking then simply cancel the installation.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome