Choose style:

Author Topic: Keyboard shortcuts for switching workspaces stop working after reboot  (Read 96 times)

Offline fingust

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
I am using Peppermint 10 and I've tried to set custom keyboard shortcuts in the control center. While most of them work fine, the ones for switching workspaces stop working after I reboot the machine (just loging out and in breaks it too). I've tried different key combinations (Super + <number>, Alt + <number>) and they all stop working for some reason. I've used XFCE before on other distros and never had such issue. How can I solve this?

Edit: If I assign shortcuts again (using the same keys), they work until reboot again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:41:08 am by fingust »

Offline dolphin_oracle

• Developer
  • Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard shortcuts for switching workspaces stop working after reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:40:15 am »
look in the /etc/xdg/Xfce directory to see if there is a default set of keyboard shortucts there.  I've found that on xfce 4.14 anyway that if that file has been modified from the Xfce defaults that weirdness ensues. 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Keyboard shortcuts for switching workspaces stop working after reboot
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:15:07 pm »
Hi fingust,

Try this to assign (for example) the shortcuts <Windows-key>+<Right arrow key> (for moving to the next workspace to the right) and <Windows-key>+<Left arrow key> (to move in the other direction): open a terminal and enter the following

Code: [Select]
xed ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
Now go to the end of this file, and then go up 7 lines, press the Enter key and go back up to the empty line you just created. Fill it with these two lines

<property name="&lt;Super&gt;Right" type="string" value="right_workspace_key"/> 
<property name="&lt;Super&gt;Left" type="string" value="left_workspace_key"/>
When you have done this correctly, the final 9 lines of the file should look like this

<property name="&lt;Super&gt;Right" type="string" value="right_workspace_key"/>
      <property name="&lt;Super&gt;Left" type="string" value="left_workspace_key"/>
    </property>
  </property>
  <property name="providers" type="array">
    <value type="string" value="xfwm4"/>
    <value type="string" value="commands"/>
  </property>
</channel>
Save the file. Log out and back in to your desktop and see if the shortcuts work. This is what I have done and it works for me.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome