Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED]Remove windows XP from dual boot setup  (Read 236 times)

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
[SOLVED]Remove windows XP from dual boot setup
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »
Hello. I have dual booted my computer with Windows XP and Peppermint. Now I would like to go full linux to learn it better.
I searched the forum FAQs and previous posts for a guide to remove windows XP safely, but could not find one.
I am not fluent in Linux, and the  guides in Internet are 2-3 years old.
Could some good stranger here help me get rid of Windows safely?
Thank you. :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:50:16 pm by Ananta »

Offline Howling Wolf

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Remove windows XP from dual boot setup
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:50:45 pm »
Hi Ananta,
You must at first delete the WinXP partition and then update your grub. It is simple.
  • Boot your linux as usual
  • Run gparted. If yout don't have one, you can install it from Software manager or directly from terminal window: sudo apt install gparted
  • Find your XP partition(s). Right click on it and select delete, then apply all operations. BTW Because your linux system is mounted, you cannot make any harm to your linux system.
  • Close gparted, open a terminal window then type: sudo update-grub. Your XP will be eliminated.
Good luck  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:31:35 pm by Howling Wolf »

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:16 am »
Hi Ananta,
You must at first delete the WinXP partition and then update your grub. It is simple.
  • Boot your linux as usual
  • Run gparted. If yout don't have one, you can install it from Software manager or directly from terminal window: sudo apt install gparted
  • Find your XP partition(s). Right click on it and select delete, then apply all operations. BTW Because your linux system is mounted, you cannot make any harm to your linux system.
  • Close gparted, open a terminal window then type: sudo update-grub. Your XP will be eliminated.
Good luck  :)

Thank You. it worked. However, I am having problems with merging the new free space to my Linux partition I am trying my best to solve this, however, if I can't, then I think I will make a separate thread for the problem.
Thank you for helping me out. Have a good day ahead. :D  >:(

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 03:49:04 am »
Hi Ananta,

Remember that you cannot modify your PeppermintOS partition when it is mounted!! To modify it, you should again use a live session USB (e.g. the installation USB) and make sure that the PeppermintOS partition of the installation is not mounted. Then you can use gparted to accomplish the merging.  8)

Having said this, I would strongly suggest that you first read this tutorial about creating a DATA partition. I, and many others here, use an extra DATA partition and it is worth the effort to set it up!  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Howling Wolf

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 06:13:34 am »
Hi Ananta,

happy to hear that you succeeded. Pls don't forget to mark this thread as SOLVED.

Offline rayzer

• Onnnn the Pep 10..
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »
boot from the live iso, open gparted then move your peppermint partition to the left and you should be able to resize it and take up the free space
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here https://flickr.com/photos/92410488@N03/

Offline Ananta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:56:00 pm »
Hi Ananta,

Remember that you cannot modify your PeppermintOS partition when it is mounted!! To modify it, you should again use a live session USB (e.g. the installation USB) and make sure that the PeppermintOS partition of the installation is not mounted. Then you can use gparted to accomplish the merging.  8)

Having said this, I would strongly suggest that you first read this tutorial about creating a DATA partition. I, and many others here, use an extra DATA partition and it is worth the effort to set it up!  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Hello. I didn't know that we had to use a live session USB to do this. Do you have any threads here which explain this in detail on this? It is a bit of a new topic for me.

Also, what is this data partition and what are it's advantages? It is the first time I am hearing this so it's new for me.
Thank you for taking out your time to comment.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: [SOLVED]Remove windows XP from dual boot setup
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 03:25:26 am »
Hi Ananta,

The tutorial explains what the data partition is, what its advantages are and how to create it. You just need to read it. I will not repeat that information here, since it is already in the tutorial.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: [SOLVED]Remove windows XP from dual boot setup
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:01:36 pm »
Hi Ananta. I agree 100% with Slim.Fatz, and I always recommend learning how to and making a DATA partition. Plus, it's a good way of learning a little bit about doing things in linux.
What was I thinking?