Choose style:

Author Topic: Alternative Browsers Brave and Vivaldi + Question about bookmarks (resolved)  (Read 533 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
I recently installed Brave to replace Chrome.  Brave is a little faster than Chrome and has a good ad blocker out of the box. They have their own model for internet advertising and a system for tipping content creators. You can collect little amounts of a crypto-currency by clicking banner advertising (if I understood that correctly). I am not using those features, but will probably buy some of their merch to support them.

Here is the how-to that worked for me for installing Brave from the terminal: https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux

The only problem is that syncing bookmarks between PCs does not work - at least not sufficiently. I created some Google Docs for my bookmarks. That's of course no FOSS solution. Maybe there is something better? Probably a Chrome extension?

The other browser I tried is Vivaldi. It felt not quite as fast as Brave. It offers more possibilities to customize it than any other browser. Syncing bookmarks works very well and I also like the look. The sidebar and the panel on the bottom can be hidden, so you can make Vivaldi almost look like Chrome. The only reason why I prefer Brave (and made it my new daily driver) is the increased speed. Vivaldi can be installed easily with a .deb package from their website https://vivaldi.com.

You can install Chrome extensions on both browsers - as they are both based on Chromium.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:25:23 am by Fritz74 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Alternative Browsers Brave and Vivaldi + Question about bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:18 pm »
I've never tried using the sync function in Brave browser.  Firefox sync function works well.  It also works well in Chromium, Chrome, Opera and, if my memory serves well, Yandex.  I imagine Brave's sync feature will become better over time.  Brave is still a new kid on the block.

What I can't remember, does Brave browser use Google's Safe Browsing feature.  That to me is a must.  Wait, I just found this:o

Impressive -- and Brave's got beautiful backgrounds and a big clock too!  :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 03:36:39 pm »
When you feel we have answered your query @Fritz74, please remember to open your OP (original post) in this thread. Since this wasn't really a technical support request, appending a (RESOLVED) at the end of the subject line may be the more appropriate edit.

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 04:02:01 pm »
Wait, I just found this:o

Interesting

I'm still hooked on:
  • Opera Stable (my go-to browser)
  • Opera Beta (for pre-testing changes)
  • Chromium (for my bots)
  • Firefox (PM testing)
  • Tor (anonymity)
  • And... Brave
Truth be told, the only time I use Brave is for maintaining my LAN - but, that's a biggie for me.

I don't know what has changed, over the years, but Brave is now the only browser that will allow me to shell into all of my routers, modem, Google Voice, et cetera. The other browsers (listed above) either cannot find these devices, or the connection is refused by them.

Soooo, even though I don't use Brave for anything else, it's a godsend for keeping my LAN updated and running at top efficiency   :)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 06:28:40 am »
When you feel we have answered your query @Fritz74, please remember to open your OP (original post) in this thread. Since this wasn't really a technical support request, appending a (RESOLVED) at the end of the subject line may be the more appropriate edit.

;)
@spence: I added it to the title, because collecting all bookmarks in a Google Document turned out to work very well.

The Chrome extensions that allow collecting and tagging bookmarks are probably too much of a hassle.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
@VinDSL

Is Opera still hnaging in there?  I haven't looked at it for a couple of years now.  I was happy with Opera when Americans were protected under Norweigen privacy laws.  But things changed, the honeymoon's over.  As for Singapore's laws, they seem about the same as ours -- maybe even a little more transparent. :o  But, my goodness, those Norweigen data privacy protections were great! :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
@VinDSL

Is Opera still hanging in there?  I haven't looked at it for a couple of years now.

Yeah, they change it up all the time. It's a moving target, but I like playing the game.

I've been doing the 'fan dance' on Opera long enough that Bing AI now thinks I'm living in Sweden. And, of course, Google AI still thinks I'm located in the Ukraine.

The 'trick' with AI is to feed it a constant barrage of lies. That's what AI does to us - TOS Agreements & Privacy Rules top the list.

Sometimes, when I order things on the web, AI is so confused that I need to specify delivery to the USA. Imagine that...  :))

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
 :D Twitter thinks I'm Russian and keeps serving up ads in Russian because I followed one Twitter account about Soviet Era Artwork.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."