Author Topic: Power ManagerSettings Not Working  (Read 719 times)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10-64 Laptop, P9-32 Netbook
Power ManagerSettings Not Working
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:11:01 am »
My Dell Inspiron N5110 only has P10 running on it since I changed out the HDD for an SSD so I am now looking at how the power and the related settings are managed.  The reason being that I don't think the screen-lock setting is working as expected.  I have set it up to lock the screen when I close the lid but is not doing so.  I can't find anything to change and it's got me wondering if Power-Manager is working at all.  If I click on screen-lock it does lock but only when manually requested Should I uninstall it and see what happens?

Tosh

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
Re: Power ManagerSettings Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:27:47 am »
Just curious as to what Power Manager is being used.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 08:31:49 am »
... I am now looking at how the power and the related settings are managed. ...

Unless you removed it from the notifications panel @Toshmarple, a left click on the 2nd icon from right will give you access to Power Manager Settings

If you did remove it... Menu > Settings > Peppermint Settings Panel > Power Manager will give you access

spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:48:00 am »
I am using xfce as came with P10 and I have set it up to 'lock screen on closure' but it's not doing so, that's why I am querying the whole.  Power Manager itself does show laptop and mouse battery status as well as mains on the devices tab.  It is also on the bottom bar, it just is not locking the screen.

Tosh  :(

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:49:16 pm »
Tosh, my situation with the XFce was it indicates my battery is only charging to 59% but checking on Lenovo sites this is apparently normal the purpose being it gives the battery longer life. Anyhow now that you mentioned the Screen lock, l find neither does mine and it does not seem to run a screen saver ..how about yours?

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:59:22 pm »
I have never thought about a screensaver Windrose, I always close the lid whenever I leave my laptop, not because of snoopers but because our cat Bluebell loves sitting on the keyboard!

Tosh  8)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 12:27:20 am »
To lock your screen push
Code: [Select]
Ctrl+Alt+l togetherIt will take you to either a i3 clock in Pep 10 or log you out altogether, in respin
If you're wanting the i3 clock go into
Menu/System/SynapticClick search
light-lockerlight-locker settings get uninstalled automatically here in synaptic.
Reboot your system and log back in push
Ctrl+Alt+l togetherYou should see this

We have never had a screensaver in Peppermint as far as I know and with this utility all you need to do is pop your password in. Mark changed to the logout screen in Peppermint Respin, he thought it would be safer, but just by uninstalling the light-locker and it's settings, then rebooting brings back the i3 clock.  ;)
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 01:34:12 am »
Very informative Clatterfordslim but as a novice, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying and what with Windrush bringing a screensaver into the discussions, which is good,  I'm even more confused (my failing), all I want is the screen to lock automatically when I close the lid on my laptop.  If it's not too much trouble could you go through what you are saying, please.

Tosh :'(

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 04:41:20 pm »
If you want to lock your screen push
Ctrl+Alt+l together on your keyboard Wait a few seconds and it will log you out.
It will take you to your login screen which is what you login with, unless of course you're one of the millions of people that don't bother logging into their computer?
Here is my login screen
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:44:16 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 05:00:04 pm »
Close the lid of your laptop and wait for twenty seconds, then lift the lid to see if you've gone to the login screen. It works on mine. If not the battery icon in your panel right click it and go into power settings under the general tab should be When Laptop Lid is closed Lockscreen.  ;D

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 05:11:29 pm »
My Dell Inspiron N5110 only has P10 running on it since I changed out the HDD for an SSD so I am now looking at how the power and the related settings are managed.  The reason being that I don't think the screen-lock setting is working as expected.  I have set it up to lock the screen when I close the lid but is not doing so.  I can't find anything to change and it's got me wondering if Power-Manager is working at all.  If I click on screen-lock it does lock but only when manually requested Should I uninstall it and see what happens?

Tosh

Close the lid and wait for twenty seconds, give it time to tell itself that the lid is closed. Sounds silly I know but remember you're running a machine, a machine which yes has a lot of power and can do marvelous things, but for it to work out whether or not the lid is closed, it has to go through a series of talking to it's self. Asking certain parts of your machine's innards questions, like hello mostly and if it does not receive an answer then it will determine that the lid is closed and will pop the Lockscreen up. Give it at least twenty seconds. Good things happen to those who wait, be patient.  ;D

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 02:20:23 am »
Sorry to say I have to report that my Dell will only lock the screen if I manually do so, it does not lock automatically when I close the lid, even though instructed to do so.  I have checked the settings in Power Manager and they are correct.

Tosh :(

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 10:04:03 am »
Now that is strange, you should be able to close the lid after manually locking your screen with the shortcut keyboard presses I posted above, in the other posts. Don't be down about it, just means that the lockscreen does not work with closing lid, on your computer. Like I say close the lid after you've locked your screen manually. It'll be okay.  ;D

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 05:54:49 am »
If you're not worried about snoopers, you could set the display to turn off or power off when the lid is closed. That's how I have my Samsung laptop set up.
What was I thinking?