Author Topic: My system has broken  (Read 395 times)

Offline einar

• Newly Subscribed
  • Linuxeando
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
My system has broken
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:41:55 am »
Hi.  I have broken the system to see if you can help me.  It has been to install this xbindkeys, to restart, I have it configured to start without asking for a user and now it asks me for the password, I enter it and it does not accept it and it does not get to enter the desktop, but with ctrl alt f1 I am  Open the tty, I've been looking for a fix but nothing has helped me.

Thank you

regards
Sobremesa:   Linux Mint 19.3 xfce.

Port├ítil:  Peppermint 10-respin

Offline einar

• Newly Subscribed
  • Linuxeando
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Re: My system has broken
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 01:57:29 am »
Well, nothing, I restored an image that I had with clonezilla, the problem is that after that image I made many changes and did not do another one and that's why I was interested in recovering it.
Sobremesa:   Linux Mint 19.3 xfce.

Port├ítil:  Peppermint 10-respin

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:09:51 am »
Well, nothing, I restored an image that I had with clonezilla, the problem is that after that image I made many changes and did not do another one and that's why I was interested in recovering it.

I understand that this is too late, but it seems like you could boot from the LiveUSB (installation image) and get access to your system that way. (I'm not expert enough to tell you what you'd do at that point. There must be a config file to edit and disable the initial login. If you had secure boot or encrypted disk, it's probably not possible to do.).

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:43 pm »

Hi elnar, welcome to Peppermint. I feel your pain, another example of why snapshots of your system are so important. Most of the time when you break your system, it's broke. A DATA partition and Timeshift are my best friends.
What was I thinking?