Choose style:

Author Topic: Help sharing wifi through ethernet(Solved)  (Read 226 times)

Offline TheAkantor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Help sharing wifi through ethernet(Solved)
« on: February 07, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »
HI, before i was on mint and it worked  sharing my wifi connection trough internet with only this steps.

Wired connection options.
 IPv4 Method:  share to other computers
 IPv6 Method: ignore

On the client side (PS4 console) i only entered manually the google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Worked that way on mint, but i am not able to replicate the same thing on peppermint, need some help making it work
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:24:45 pm by TheAkantor »

Offline TheAkantor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Help sharing wifi through ethernet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 06:15:23 am »
UPDATE:
i am now testing mint xfce live and it works with the same settings as of mint cinnamon, dont know what is the difference between peppermint os network manager and this one but is it possible to replace the network manager on peppermint for this? really need it working and don't want to change to another distro, if its possible would appreciate a guide for it please.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:10:24 am »
Hi TheAkantor,

I assume you are testing Mint 19.3 Tricia ?? As it is based on Ubuntu 18.04, I would be somewhat surprised if they are not using the same network manager as in Peppermint 10 (which you can find by using the synaptics package manager to see the installed network manager packages) -- although this could be possible.

If you wish to experiment with a different network manager you might want to try wicd (which also can be found and installed using the synaptics package manager). VinDSL is quite a fan of this network manager, so we know that it works.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline TheAkantor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 03:57:24 am »
Thanks for the tip, i tried it out but that one is confusing for me, going try a tutorial to configure settings and see how it goes.

UPDATE: No luck on getting it to work, tried latest Feren OS live which i had here to take a look also and worked with same settings so have no idea why im having trouble making it work on peppermint  :(

UPDATE 2: Is there any command that lets me see everyting installed related only to network manager? maybe i could catch something different in mint 19.3 tricia xfce that is missing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:10:45 am by TheAkantor »

Offline TheAkantor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 04:45:52 am »
UPDATE; another test now in kde neon live, also works the same way as all the other, dam feels bad the one i want make my home i just can't overtake the issue  :(

ill just stick with mint xfce and keep searching for more knowledge on this issue.

Offline TheAkantor

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:41 pm »
 :)Final UPDATE;)  : my problem was solved after running into posts dating back to 2012 when there was a problem with dnsmasq, thing is i didnt had it installed and neither dnsmasq-base, so installed both of them not sure wich one fixed just know one runs as system daemon while the other cant.

Glad i didnt gave up, back on my fav distro peppermint and the tip stays for any that might have the same problem.

See if you need dnsmasq and dnsmasq-base.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:36:49 am by TheAkantor »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Help sharing wifi through ethernet(Solved)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 03:19:15 am »
Hi TheAkantor,

Glad to hear that you managed to solve your issue! That is a solution that I have never heard about. But then I must admit that I don't really know much about networking.  :P

And thanks for marking the topic (Solved);) 8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome