Choose style:

Author Topic: which version of peppermint for old netbook?  (Read 365 times)

Offline essegi

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
which version of peppermint for old netbook?
« on: February 06, 2020, 01:08:13 pm »
Hi,
I have a toshiba nb100 m12 with 32bit 1 Gb of RAM and 250Gb hard disk. It used to run natively windows xp. It is a small netbook without significant hardware acceleration that was produced more than 10 jears ago. I tried peppermint 10 and it works! Amazing. I was wondering if I  could get even a snappier system if I install a previous release of peppermint. In his very first years of his linux career it run quite well lubuntu 14.04 lts. I know that 14.04 is not any more supported, but I have other notebooks. I would use it only  for occasional surfing and for my personal museum of informatics.  Which version of peppermint would be suitable for both low specs and decent usage?  Is peppermint 6 or 7 similar to lubuntu 14.04? Thanks in advance for your attention

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: which version of peppermint for old netbook?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:06:13 pm »
Hi essegi,

As far as I remember, Peppermint 5 was based on Ubuntu 14.04. I still use Peppermint 7 on a laptop that really is not very old (maybe 4 years old?) and has 4 GB RAM with an Intel i3 CPU. It runs very quickly and uses very little resources.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »
Run Peppermint v10 64 bit on an Acer Aspire One AO532h-2588 which is a 10" netbook with a D450 32/64 bit processor.
specs: 2 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Atom cpu, 160 GB HDD
casual use: web surfing, YouTube, movies, word processing & spread sheets (LibreOffice)
No problems ... runs very quickly.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:07:01 am »
I have a toshiba nb100 m12 with 32bit 1 Gb of RAM and 250Gb hard disk. It used to run natively windows xp. It is a small netbook without significant hardware acceleration that was produced more than 10 jears ago. I tried peppermint 10 and it works! Amazing.

I was wondering if I  could get even a snappier system if I install a previous release of peppermint.

I own a 32 bit Asus Eee PC netbook, which is functionally equivalent to your Toshiba. I've dual-booted this netbook with XP Home, ever since the days of Peppermint Two. What I do is update the installed PM build until it doesn't work any more (or various apps have been abandoned or can't be updated) then I install the latest PM and start all over again.

I'm currently dual-booting my 32-bit Asus Eee PC with PM10R/XP Home, on top of a Linux 5.3 kernel. It boots in 22 seconds and flies like the wind.

Here's a recent screenie, as proof: https://is.gd/eKSZrq

IMO, it would be a big mistake to go backward, to an earlier version of PM. Peppermint Five, specifically, will be a horror show - believe me, on this   ;)

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:32:41 am »
I have one of these:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/U100/Specification

It has 2gigs of ram and a SSD installed.  It runs P10(32bit) pretty well.  I wouldn't say it's "snappy", but it's not sluggish either.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 09:59:05 am »
I would use it only  for occasional surfing and for my personal museum of informatics.

Heh! I'm going to add that to my lexicon  :))

BTW, if you're curious why I'm still dual-booting my PM10 powered netbook with winders XP Home...

I've got an ancient Netgear PS 110 print server installed on my LAN. Been running like a champ for years. I keep this Netgear print server online for printing to my trusty HP DeskJet printers. It's the last breed that will connect an Ethernet cable to a 25pin Centronix printer port.

It's so old that the print server firmware upgrade utility, and print server setup software, requires winders XP   ::)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:09:30 am by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 04:35:36 am »
XP must be as full of security holes as a sieve 5 years after the EOL date.
A welcome mat for hackers.

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 05:48:52 pm »
Those old netbooks weren't real fast a dozen years ago when they first came on the market with XP which could run on 128 mb RAM.
Expecting them to be "snappy" with Linux distros that require 2 GB of RAM minimum is being a bit optimistic. ;D

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 06:32:59 pm »
This lappy is quite nice on Peppermint Ten.
Makes me wonder how Peppermint 10 would run on my old 32bit that I host named "Roasted Penguin" for its heat.

Code: [Select]
Thinkpad-R60 ~ $ inxi -Zx0.02724500 1581290921-leftJ-0.02724500 1581290921br /0.02724500 1581290921-rightJ-0.02724500 1581290921CPU~Dual core Intel T2400 (-MCP-) speed/max~1002/1833 MHz Kernel~5.0.0-37-generic i686 Up~2:31 Mem~511.0/1941.4MB HDD~124.1GB(22.1% used) Procs~202 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:07:19 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Encapsulating with [code]. »
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"

Offline PrtnHPM

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
On my systems at home, I am using Peppermint 9 at the moment.  But I doubt there will be any issues with P10.
For reference, one is a shuttle pent 2, but with a lot of main memory and a good gpu attached.  (2 gigs of ram and an old nvidia card from the 2005 or earlier era)
The other one is an acer laptop running a triple core athlon.
While both of these machines are more powerful than your netbook, they are seriously out of date and old enough that the difference is really no difference.  For light duties, both run P9 very quickly.  so quickly that I was surprised, since it was obviously faster than the original windows installations on both. 
I think P10R, if there is still a 32 bit version, would run just fine on your netbook.  The real limitation is the memory and more than that, the fact that in the near future, 32 bit will probably be deprecated by ubuntu.  tho... what that means for Mint... I am not certain. 
 :D to summarize, Go with the newest version, I don't think it is worth it, nor do I think it helps, to regress.  BTW, windows 10 runs better on that acer laptop than windows vista/7 ever did.  so even in the windows world, it isn't worth regressing, except if you absolutely must because of driver issues or something similar