Choose style:

Author Topic: emergency.... I overwrote my external HDD partition (SOLVED)  (Read 60 times)

Offline PrtnHPM

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
emergency.... I overwrote my external HDD partition (SOLVED)
« on: February 23, 2020, 01:06:49 pm »
First, a little disclaimer.  I am normally very careful about these things, but I am tired and made a bad mistake. so now the problem:

I left my external HDD connected to the computer when I decided to write an image to an usb stick. 
I should have noticed that the tool being suggested was "Disk Image Writer" ... tho I don't remember if I actually followed through with that tool or if I used the usb image or usb formatter...
What I do know is that there is now no partition that I can see with linux or windows on my external drive. 
How do I recover it?  how to I make sure I don't do more damage while I try to recover it? 
This is an NTFS partition, but it might be either just corrupted or it could have been overwritten.  I think, from what I saw before I disconnected it on my windows machine, that I have at least two 2 gig partitions on it now.. which might contain a BSD image file written over it.. or might just be simply partitioned but no formatting or writing of image.  I didn't notice this issue until after I had already tried to overwrite the ACTUAL usb stick (8 gig stick) with the image file, or I might have just reformatted it with the USB image tool when I decided to clean the USB stick ... Like I said, I didn't really notice or think.  I am tired and now I am trying to reconstruct my steps...
 :'(

I might have already solved my problem.  Also I just noticed a few minutes ago that somebody else had a similar issue, tho not necessarily caused by the same steps made in error, the end result seems to be the same.  Between both the suggestion in that thread and one I came up with for windows users, this seems to be recoverable
TestDisk
minitool
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:10:06 pm by PrtnHPM »

Offline PrtnHPM

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Re: emergency.... I overwrote my external HDD partition (SOLVED)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 03:12:49 pm »
TestDisk did the trick.  It rebuilt the partition table and everything was good.
obviously I never overwrote anything, except obviously the partition table.  it just got caught up in the partition madness when using the image writer (not sure again, exactly what happened and what I did wrong since I wasn't really awake when I was doing this).
But everything is good now.
Highly recommend TestDisk.  Just be careful, it is obviously a very powerful tool that can easily compound your mistakes if you don't pay attention to what you are doing
TestDisk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:28:02 pm by PrtnHPM »