Choose style:

Author Topic: Distro compare (mem use)  (Read 181 times)

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Distro compare (mem use)
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:20:15 pm »
Last April (2019) I did some "speed dating" with distros, and captured some details about mem use.  I recently got a new laptop and wanted to install a few distros to see how compatible it is with Linux. I thought it would be a good time to capture that info again:

For more info about how I collected that info, see the spreadsheet or PDF at: https://jmp.sh/kNTBnT4
[EDIT: I added better info for Linux Lite. See the PDF for the footnote about this.]

Last time I installed to virtual machines. As I began collecting info this time, I realized there's a significant difference between a real environment (requiring real drivers) and a virtual one (with hardware details abstracted away). Since my new laptop is very fast, it wasn't much work to install these distros in a VM too. That info also makes this more relatable to the numbers I posted last time.

Last time I tried to disable a few things (backgrounds, animations, eye candy) to show how much smaller a distro could be. I didn't do that this time. It's not an accurate number. I only disabled things that stood out to me. It wasn't a fair or meaningful comparison. (This topic has made me wish distros would, as a custom, publish a "how to create a minimal install" guide of tweaks.).

I don't now how useful these numbers are. It may be nothing more than a curiosity. But, I think it's fun to speed-date distros, get initial impressions quickly. My favorites are MX, Peppermint. I have a desire to spend some time with Neon KDE or Kubuntu (use it as my desktop for a few months).

Elementary OS is very nice looking. But, I'd have to enable the "desktop as a folder." I know there's a gnome-tools (or something) that can be installed to do that.

I'm liking Linux Lite too. I've had some problems with its ISO being recognized as bootable. But, when I'm able to get it installed, I really like the first impressions I get. A very (I don't want to say simple or clean, as if it implies unpolished). It's pleasant. If I'd been able to get it to boot last time, I might have gone that direction instead of MX.

Bodhi is interesting. It's the only distro that didn't have significantly higher mem use on real hardware. I don't understand that. (I'm surprised it even installed on this laptop, being so new. Bodhi was released 18 months ago. I didn't think it would have the kernel/drivers for this laptop. It seems to have a lot of polish for the small footprint.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:10:34 pm by az2020 »