Author Topic: Does Peppermint5 support full disk encryption?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline pepperstate

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Five
Does Peppermint5 support full disk encryption?
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:39:36 pm »
Since Peppermint is derived from Debian I assume it does support full disk encryption but I did not see any specific guides or references in the forum so I want to verify this.
If anyone can post a link to a Peppermint specific guide or tutorial that would be great.
Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Does Peppermint5 support full disk encryption?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »
Good question .. AFAIK (though I haven't tried it myself) this should do the trick:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/01/16/manual-full-disk-encryption-setup-guide-for-ubuntu-13-10-linux-mint-16/
and page 2 here:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/01/16/manual-full-disk-encryption-setup-guide-for-ubuntu-13-10-linux-mint-16/2/

If you decide to give this a shot .. can you please let us know how you get on ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:54:33 am »
Peppermint Five (like all Ubuntu deviates) does offer full disk encryption and Logical Volume Manager (LVM) during the installation process, using a version of the Ubuntu installer (pictorial guide) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

I currently use this method of encryption with LVM, and have tried the manual installation recommended by PCNetSpec via the Linuxbsdos site, last year.

Both methods work, both need a separate BOOT partition and my peers  :-[ have systematic differences over the swap partition. 

The caveats; depending on your requirements:

1. Peppermint Five only, install, choose the "Erase disk and install Peppermint 5" and check the encryption and LVM boxes. Currently clicking on either will check both.

2. You can uncheck encryption box and go for a LVM format, again assuming you want Peppermint Five only on your disk.

3. A dual boot, with Windows or another distro on a single disk will require you to follow the Linuxbsdos method, after you have freed up enough disk space, via Gparted or similar tool.

4. Do not use the auto "alongside" method. I found it to be unsatisfactory.

Conclusion:

Both methods work, depending your requirement, if it is a complete disk install, Peppermint Five only. I would recommend encryption with LVM. It only requires ONE password to unlock the encrypted partition. Should you opt for the manual method it will require THREE passwords to unlock all encrypted partitions, then your normal password to gain access to the desktop.

The pros of an encrypted system outweigh the cons, but you have to remember it is only, though a powerful front door key, once open and left unattended, it is easy for some one to copy and paste data to a fat32 memory stick.

I actually think a password protected BIOS, is the most crucial of all settings, plus move the Hard-drive to the 1st boot position and the DVD or USB to the 2nd and 3rd boot position. Makes a dormant computer near impossible to break into to the majority of humans.   :D
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:30 am »
Quote from: cavy
I actually think a password protected BIOS, is the most crucial of all settings, plus move the Hard-drive to the 1st boot position and the DVD or USB to the 2nd and 3rd boot position.

Then bolt the box to the floor and weld it shut C:-)

Makes servicing it a little difficult though.

Just kidding .. thanks cavy :)

[EDIT]

How about laser sentries ?
(still kidding ;) )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:51:36 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:17 am »
cavey have big club  :D ask T-Rex, he have sore head   :-\, when he tried to eat cavey and cavey's abacus  >:(.

No seriously, during my research about enecryption, "finid" at linuxbsdos talked about putting a "nuke patch" on the boot splash screen to prevent the vulnerability of local attack, trying to find out how to do this, I came across the BIOS tip. it can be set for "admin" and "boot-up". So effectively closing the back door.

cavey find big club and big dog do better job  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:40 am »
I've found explosives triggered by case tampering or a single wrong password works .. tends to focus the mind at the login screen too.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:53 am »
 8)  LOL   :P