Author Topic: Lenovo X1 suitable for Peppermint installation ? (SOLVED)  (Read 388 times)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
Lenovo X1 suitable for Peppermint installation ? (SOLVED)
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:52:16 am »
I have come across a very good price on a Lenovo X1 and wish to know if it would be suitable for a Peppermint Install...l had read somewhere the X1 had some architecture that made it a bad choice but can't find the info.  It is an 8h Generation with an i5 Processor
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:48:14 pm by windrose »

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo X1 suitable for Peppermint installation ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:41:52 am »
Do you know which generation of X1 it is? There were some problems with certain generations. I can't recall the specifics or if they were fixed.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:23:16 pm »
i just amended my post to indicate it is an 8th gen with an i5 processor Kendal.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:52:59 pm »
i just amended my post to indicate it is an 8th gen with an i5 processor Kendal.

Should be OK to go Windrose. My Lenovo Yoga is rocking along with Peppermint. I love Lenovo as you can upgrade the internals, Ram, SSD, etc.  ;)
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:50 pm »
ell l have three of them now a first gen yoga (Orange) a 2nd gen and a 2nd gen Pro and l love the touch screen feature and illuminated keyboards. the only issue l have though it has never been an issue is they seem to run hot. and the issue l had reported elsewhere dealing with the power manager display only showing a max 59% charge.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 03:09:49 pm »
]A bit more info l got from the vendor New in Box asking $1200 cdn.
8th gen intel core , i5 8259U (1.6 ghz with turbo boost up to 3.4 ghz ) Mem 8 gb LPDDR3 2133 mgz (soldered) HD 512 ssd P

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:20:10 pm by windrose »

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »
I have 3 ThinkPads (IBM & Lenovo) that are all considerably less resourced than the subject computer.
One a X130e runs Linux Mint XFCE 64 bit.
One a X140e runs Peppermint Linux 10 64 bit.
An ancient old IBM ThinkPad G40 (3.0 GHz P4, 2 GB RAM, 32 bit)  runs Linux Mint XFCE 32 bit respectably well.

With drivers you never know until you try.
The proof is in the pudding ... you have to try the distro before you know whether all your "stuff" (wifi, trackpad, peripherals etc ...) will work.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:26:58 pm »
]A bit more info l got from the vendor New in Box asking $1200 cdn.
8th gen intel core , i5 8259U (1.6 ghz with turbo boost up to 3.4 ghz ) Mem 8 gb LPDDR3 2133 mgz (soldered) HD 512 ssd P

I wonder if it's got room to have a separate SSD hybrid storage drive inside it? Weird why they went for soldered Ram, usually with Lenovo computers you can upgrade them yourself. Soldered Ram is a pain, though no doubt 8GB is it's limit? Very nice though and it'll be super quick with the SSD PCI_e slot. The reason why I asked about maybe the other drive, was that you could have 1 or 2TB SSD Hybrid drive as your home folder and the 512 SSD PCI_e drive as boot and system updates would go to that drive too, leaving you with loads of room for mucking around in. I have my big desktop computer running off a 250GB SSD for booting and a 2TB SSD Hybrid drive, (half SSD and Mechanical.) as my home folder and it just rocks along smoother than a smooth thing that can't get any smoother than it already is.  ;D

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:39:15 pm »

Should be OK to go Windrose. My Lenovo Yoga is rocking along with Peppermint. I love Lenovo as you can upgrade the internals, Ram, SSD, etc.  ;)

Apple has started that soldered in RAM nonsense with their latest computers. >:(

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:51:49 am »

Apple has started that soldered in RAM nonsense with their latest computers. >:(

To stop people tinkering I guess?  You gotta admit though the reason why Apple are so damn expensive is because their hardware is so robust, plus it's locked down for their OSES only a majority of the time. You pay all that money and you cannot upgrade anything. I like the laptops I have as I can upgrade their innards. Though my Acer Laptop is a pain, as the Ram goes up to 4GB, the ram I bought for it said it was the right ones and I checked it over with sites on the Internet. Crucial are one of if not the pioneering Ram developers on the planet, so I trusted them to come through and yes it works, but the bios needs upgrading as the cursor on screen after getting into Peppermint is a giant " quotes symbol. Intel bless them have taken away free bios updates altogether, so companies have gotten on the band wagon to charge people to download the bios they need. That makes me  >:( Grrr!   

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:07:37 pm »
Why do people think we need Cape Canaveral level computers to run Peppermint Linux?
My Acer Aspire One AO532h-2588 (64 bit) netbook with a N450 1.6 GHz Atom CPU & 2 GB RAM & 500 GB Crucial SSD is not the least bit hesitant.
The SSD & RAM maxed out to 2 GB kinda brought it into the 21st century.

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 06:17:53 pm »

To stop people tinkering I guess?  You gotta admit though the reason why Apple are so damn expensive is because their hardware is so robust, plus it's locked down for their OSES only a majority of the time. You pay all that money and you cannot upgrade anything. I like the laptops I have as I can upgrade their innards. Though my Acer Laptop is a pain, as the Ram goes up to 4GB, the ram I bought for it said it was the right ones and I checked it over with sites on the Internet. Crucial are one of if not the pioneering Ram developers on the planet, so I trusted them to come through and yes it works, but the bios needs upgrading as the cursor on screen after getting into Peppermint is a giant " quotes symbol. Intel bless them have taken away free bios updates altogether, so companies have gotten on the band wagon to charge people to download the bios they need. That makes me  >:( Grrr!

Errr ... hmm ... no.
The old "follow the money" rule of thumb leads right to the answer.
Apple doesn't want anyone modifying/upgrading their equipment without cash flow going to them &/or their dealers.
Arrogant & greedy like Microsoft Apple retains an assumed proprietary claim on their equipment.
Called extortion in less polite circles.
I expect that paradigm to be the industry standard in 5 years.