Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED)" CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE" right click contect menu command  (Read 528 times)

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
[SOLVED]
I like a few URL shortcut links on my desktop and before the last updates that was quite easy in Peppermint. i just right clicked on the desktop clicked "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE'" on the drop down context menu pasted the URL in the box as a "LOCATION" added a NAME, clicked CREATE and voila.
Now since the last batch of updates nothing happens when I click "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE" on the right click context menu.
I have had to create the shortcuts on a Linux Mint computer and transfer them to my Peppermint rig in a thumb drive and that worked.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:48:02 pm by Minux1 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hi Minux1.

Even though these instructions say they are for Peppermint 7, they were working for me a couple days ago.  Might you be missing one of these steps by any chance? :-\

It's easy to miss a step, or at least for me it is! :-[

perknh

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3728.msg37314.html#msg37314
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:14:24 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I like a few URL shortcut links on my desktop and before the last updates that was quite easy in Peppermint. i just right clicked on the desktop clicked "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE'" on the drop down context menu pasted the URL in the box as a "LOCATION" added a NAME, clicked CREATE and voila.
Now since the last batch of updates nothing happens when I click "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE" on the right click context menu.
I have had to create the shortcuts on a Linux Mint computer and transfer them to my Peppermint rig in a thumb drive and that worked.

And the cute little icon image travels pretty well from Linux Mint to Peppermint too.
Sure wish we could get back the ability to create desktop URL shortcuts in Peppermint from the right hand desktop click menu. :D
It made life pretty simple. 8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:20:37 pm by Minux1 »

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi Minux1.

Even though these instructions say they are for Peppermint 7, they were working for me a couple days ago.  Might you be missing one of these steps by any chance? :-\

It's easy to miss a step, or at least for me it is! :-[

perknh

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3728.msg37314.html#msg37314

Until quite recently (before last batch of downloaded updates) there were no steps to create a URL shortcut on the desktop of either of my Peppermint 10 laptops.
It was just a right click on the desktop click "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE" on the drop down context menu, choose LOCATION and fill in the boxes.
The item "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE"  still appears on the right click drop down menu but nothing happens when I click it. Seems to be a programming bug that should be easy to fix in a future update.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Until quite recently (before last batch of downloaded updates) there were no steps to create a URL shortcut on the desktop of either of my Peppermint 10 laptops.
It was just a right click on the desktop click "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE" on the drop down context menu, choose LOCATION and fill in the boxes.
The item "CREATE A NEW LAUNCHER HERE"  still appears on the right click drop down menu but nothing happens when I click it. Seems to be a programming bug that should be easy to fix in a future update.

We always strive to improve Peppermint, Minux, and we always try to swat every bug we find! ;D

Is your puzzle solved well enough, Minux, that you can now put a great big SOLVED in the Subject Box, or do we need to have somebody higher up on the technical food chain step in in order to lend a hand?  It sounds to me as if you've successfully tackled your problem.  If so, congratulations! :)

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile

We always strive to improve Peppermint, Minux, and we always try to swat every bug we find! ;D

Is your puzzle solved well enough, Minux, that you can now put a great big SOLVED in the Subject Box, or do we need to have somebody higher up on the technical food chain step in in order to lend a hand?  It sounds to me as if you've successfully tackled your problem.  If so, congratulations! :)

Consider these posts of mine feedback rather than a criticism.
No the issue is not resolved but I am hopeful it will be in future updates before too long.
I'm sure the creators and maintainers of Peppermint never intended that a menu item that was previously fully functional and extremely useful no longer work and do absolutely nothing when clicked.
This is not a lack of experience, knowledge,skill or process problem but rather as I said before a bug that has recently manifested itself and as such is beyond my control.
These problems do not come to light until someone mentions them.

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile

Consider these posts of mine feedback rather than a criticism.
No the issue is not resolved but I am hopeful it will be in future updates before too long.
I'm sure the creators and maintainers of Peppermint never intended that a menu item that was previously fully functional and extremely useful no longer work and do absolutely nothing when clicked.
This is not a lack of experience, knowledge,skill or process problem but rather as I said before a bug that has recently manifested itself and as such is beyond my control.
It's not my problem it's the O/Ss problem.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile

That's right, Minux1.  That is so true.  Thank you for bringing the issue to light.  :)

[EDIT]

I've now reported the bug.  Thank you, Minux1.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:14:34 pm by perknh »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi Minux1,

I find it strange that no one has reported this problem until now. You say that it began (apparently a little while back) following a "batch of downloaded updates". It would help us greatly to know which packages were in this batch of updates.  ;) Which ones might have come from packages outside of the standard Peppermint and/or Ubuntu repositories, or might have been installed by you after downloading them from some developer's website or company's website.

Also, please open a terminal and post the output that you get after running the following commands:

Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
Code: [Select]
inxi -r
Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
I'm currently writing a tutorial on this at the moment so bare with me.  ;) here is a picture of Nemo plugins we have duplicated in the list which is why it ain't working.

It be strange since the updates for that bug that 777 bug that was found. Somewhere in the Peppermint System 10.0.0.4 update it has duplicated the plugins, though the update before the last one done the actual damage and this one has just over written it, it seems. So I will search for duplicated plugins in the Peppermint System 10.0.0.0.4 file itself and see if I can delete the correct one.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:59:13 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I was wrong about the duplicating, one is for the Desktop and the other is for shortcuts on the panel. I'm going to reinstall Peppermint 10 Respin on a spare couple of SSD's I have for my Icy Dock and won't install the Peppermint System 10.0.0.4 777 update thing we had last week, just to see if it's that, that is causing it. If not then maybe since the update to Python 3, but all the other plugins work OK so it ain't that. Will keep you all posted.  ;)

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
OK have just reinstalled Pepp onto spare SSD's and as you can see in the pictures below I have not bothered installing the Peppermint 10.0.0.4 or the upgraded version of Peppermint Settings Panel and the right click is working.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
So have just installed the upgraded version of Peppermint Settings Panel 10.0.0.4 and we still have right click launcher.  Although I have not rebooted yet, will test that next.

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
OK have just reinstalled Pepp onto spare SSD's and as you can see in the pictures below I have not bothered installing the Peppermint 10.0.0.4 or the upgraded version of Peppermint Settings Panel and the right click is working.

Think I might back off a kernel or 2 using the updater GUI under the VIEW tab.
On second thought maybe not as I have a bunch of shortcut icons that I made on a Linux Mint computer in a "ICON" folder in my Peppermint HOME directory that work fine on Peppermint.
If I start backtracking I might do more harm than good.
Thanks, I consider this issue solved.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile

Think I might back off a kernel or 2 using the updater GUI under the VIEW tab.
On second thought maybe not as I have a bunch of shortcut icons that I made on a Linux Mint computer in a "ICON" folder in my Peppermint HOME directory that work fine on Peppermint.
If I start backtracking I might do more harm than good.
Thanks, I consider this issue solved.

I still have one more update to install Peppermint System 10.0.0.4 So don't mark it as solved yet. Hang on a sec please?