Choose style:

Author Topic: P9 respin 2, kernels  (Read 115 times)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
P9 respin 2, kernels
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:25:05 pm »
Hi again,

I hope I am putting this question in the right place.

I am using the fully updated 4.15 series kernel in my P9 respin 2 and was noticing that in the update manager, Linux kernels section, also shows the now EOL 4.18 series kernels which made me wonder why short term kernels were ever being used in an LTS OS to begin with.

Are there any plans to eventually include listing the newest "5. whatever" series LTS kernels in the UM listing rather than just the defunct 4.18 EOL kernel series?

It would be easier to experiment a little to find out if the newer LTS  kernels would also work with P9, as well as the present 4.15 series LTS kernels by having them there already to install/uninstall, while finding out which works best.

I want to stay with the P9 respin 2 right now because it is flawless with no failures at all as well as being LTS until April 2023, plus, my linux "Jedi Master", AKA, "He Who Shall Not Be Named", has this thing about sticking with it to the bitter end since it is rock solid stable.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Regards,

The Omen
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:34:41 pm by The Omen »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: P9 respin 2, kernels
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 12:16:27 am »
Hi

4.15 is EOL as far as the Main Kernel series is concerned.  4.15 is not EOF for Ubuntu and they will continue to support it, with security updates until Ubuntu decide to move 18.04 onto a different Kernel.

You are currently able to move to the HWE stack and there are plenty of threads to show you how to do that. 

or check this out https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-hwe-kernel/

Regards Zeb.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k