Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 32 bit (Resolved)  (Read 359 times)

Offline Fitzroy

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
Peppermint 32 bit (Resolved)
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:33:39 am »
I've used Peppermint on a small netbook for a few years but understand that Ubuntu will not be supporting 32 in future. As a novice I may be a bit confused so bear with me!

I presume that at some not too distant date Peppermint 32 bit will be unavailable or unsafe to use older versions as no updates will be created?

Would be grateful if someone will shine some light on the subject, please? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:37:42 am by Fitzroy »

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:29:35 pm »
Peppermint will almost certainly be dropping support for 32 bit x86 with the next release. That said, Peppermint 10 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and will continue to receive security updates until 2023 so it's a perfectly viable option for some time to come. If you're netbook is still alive and kicking after that, it would be advisable to look into another distro that continues to offer support for 32 bit x86.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline Fitzroy

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:04:28 pm »
Peppermint will almost certainly be dropping support for 32 bit x86 with the next release. That said, Peppermint 10 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and will continue to receive security updates until 2023 so it's a perfectly viable option for some time to come. If you're netbook is still alive and kicking after that, it would be advisable to look into another distro that continues to offer support for 32 bit x86.

Hi, kendall,

Thank you for setting me straight.  I'm using P8 on my netbook and have recently installed P10 on a PC my father in law owned before he passed away a few years ago which is 64 bit.

The little netbook has been great for carrying around and it will be a shame if I can't find a use for it.  :(

Thanks again.

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:45:24 pm »
Hi Fitzroy,

I am wondering what kind of netbook you have, my "mentor" has an old EEE PC he bought brand new in like 2008 or 9, and his CPU is an Intel atom n450 that runs 64 bit.

He told me when he bought it for 100 bucks that it was running out of the box with a 32 bit Windows 7 starter edition.

He put Peppermint on it ages ago and i still cannot believe this thing even boots up, and it does so in 35 seconds with only one gig of ram in it, it is still all original, even the battery which he tells me lasts him 6 to 7 hours.

If you do not know if your CPU may be able to run 64 bit, it would be a good idea to find out since my "mentor" tells me that many of those netbooks came with 64 bit capability CPUs installed even though the original installed OSs were only 32 bit.

Regards,

The Omen

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:22 pm »
@Fitzroy, If you (or anyone reading this thread) needs a distro that strictly supports 32-bit in the future I'd suggest Debian. Its my understanding they'll keep supporting 32-bit processors for the long haul.
https://www.debian.org/ports/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:38:37 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Fitzroy

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:25:14 am »
Hi Fitzroy,

I am wondering what kind of netbook you have, my "mentor" has an old EEE PC he bought brand new in like 2008 or 9, and his CPU is an Intel atom n450 that runs 64 bit.

He told me when he bought it for 100 bucks that it was running out of the box with a 32 bit Windows 7 starter edition.

He put Peppermint on it ages ago and i still cannot believe this thing even boots up, and it does so in 35 seconds with only one gig of ram in it, it is still all original, even the battery which he tells me lasts him 6 to 7 hours.

If you do not know if your CPU may be able to run 64 bit, it would be a good idea to find out since my "mentor" tells me that many of those netbooks came with 64 bit capability CPUs installed even though the original installed OSs were only 32 bit.

Regards,

The Omen

Hi,

As it happens that's the same ancient EEE pc which I bought second hand for 100 at least 9 years ago running some sort of Linux but nothing I could fathom. I finally installed P5 and am now on P8 and although it's fairly pedestrian it works well enough provided I don't try to save anything much!!!

It occasionally makes a rather odd noise but currently running OK. Not sure it will run 64bit but there's only one way to find out so when I have a while I'll maybe try to install and run P10 64bit.

Thanks for the info.  :)

Fitzroy.

Offline Fitzroy

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:30:23 am »
@Fitzroy, If you (or anyone reading this thread) needs a distro that strictly supports 32-bit in the future I'd suggest Debian. Its my understanding they'll keep supporting 32-bit processors for the long haul.
https://www.debian.org/ports/

Hi,

That's interesting info thank you.  Is Debian a fairly "light" distro in terms of resources needed to run it as the EEE PC only has a 30gig SSD if I recall correctly?
As I'm a bit of a novice just ignore whatever I say that's actually rubbish as  it'll be based on my supreme ignorance.

Cheers, Fitzroy

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:59:42 am »
If you pair it with LXDE its extremely light but setting it up might be a little tricky if you're new to Linux.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Fitzroy

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:02 am »
If you pair it with LXDE its extremely light but setting it up might be a little tricky if you're new to Linux.

Hi, josephd,

I've been using Peppermint for a few years so am able to install it OK, however, I know what I know,  if you get my drift so anything other than the basics would probably scupper me!!!

Still trying it out wouldn't hurt I guess so at some time in the near future I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the info.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
Re: Peppermint 32 bit (Resolved)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 11:54:21 am »
I've used Peppermint on a small netbook for a few years but understand that Ubuntu will not be supporting 32 in future. As a novice I may be a bit confused so bear with me!

Quote from: PCNetSpec
Peppermint 9 & 10 are both supported until 2023
(based on 18.04 and supported for 5 years from the 2018)

As is Peppermint 10 Respin, all three are currently available with 32 bit releases @Fitzroy. Unless much louder ruckus is raised, Ubuntu is likely not going to release any further 32 bit versions for us to work with.  We have happily kept many elder netbooks alive here with peppermintOS, you may enjoy deploying the forum's search feature to find all discussion of eepcs, particularly involving @VinDSL!!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:28:14 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 01:46:39 pm »
32bit FTW!!!   ;D

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 02:00:51 pm »
32bit FTW!!!   ;D

Amazing @VinDSL... just amazing... I am not even going to post my supposedly speedy 64 bit desktop's results, for I'd hafta hang my head in shame, and admit my ancestors smelt of elderberries.

:(
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 06:18:38 pm »
32bit FTW!!!   ;D

Amazing @VinDSL... just amazing... I am not even going to post my supposedly speedy 64 bit desktop's results [...]

Here's my 32bit Asus Eee PC 1000HD netbook, if it makes you feel better.

It's double the boot time - 22 sec. vs 11 sec.  :))

Gotta love Peppermint