Author Topic: Video and Audio playback works | systems sounds not - why?  (Read 553 times)

Offline andy-aux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Video and Audio playback works | systems sounds not - why?
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:32:23 am »
Hi,
I'd like to have system sounds active and working. It is so silent.

I have already updated and upgraded my Peppermint 10 on thinkpad T430, audio settings are ok, microphone and playback work fine, ubuntu-sounds theme is installed, checkboxes set for system audio playback and the other option...

Any idea?  :-\

Thanks!

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
Re: Video and Audio playback works | systems sounds not - why?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:40 am »
have you enabled them via peppermint settings panel > tweaks?
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here

Offline andy-aux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:16:32 am »
///edited!///
Hi,
yes I think so. I hear one specific sound when the cursor reaches the beginning of a input field in the file manager windows (using backspace too often, then pling..pling...)

a) I have installed "ubuntu-sounds" and "sound-theme-freedesktop".
b) I found files in /usr/share/sounds. There are several subfolders and two of them contain a subfolder "stereo" and a file "index.theme".
edited --> c) do I have to activate a sound theme? --> I did it via peppermint settings panel > tweaks

I have removed all sound themes except for one and finally I heared some sounds.

Many thanks for your help and support,
Al
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:01:03 pm by andy-aux »

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:59 pm »
Are you running AMD by any chance? If so then yes you will find especially if you use Thunderbird Mail that the incoming mail tune does not play properly just a crackle. In Intel based computers it's fine and dandy, the five Kernel seems to play up on all of my AMD computers, where sound is concerned through speakers especially so I use headphones and everything is great.

I'm on night shift at the moment and am using my Lenovo Yoga 500 Intel computer. I have just installed Ubuntu-Sounds and activated System-Sounds and all the beeps on the desktop are working, especially the annoying beep when you open the menu with your mouse. Have you installed
Code: [Select]
ubuntu-restricted-extrasThey help to improve sound quality, plus to be able to make and play MP4, MP3 files.  ;) 
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline andy-aux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »
Are you running AMD by any chance? If so then yes you will find especially if you use Thunderbird Mail that the incoming mail tune does not play properly just a crackle. In Intel based computers it's fine and dandy, the five Kernel seems to play up on all of my AMD computers, where sound is concerned through speakers especially so I use headphones and everything is great.

I'm on night shift at the moment and am using my Lenovo Yoga 500 Intel computer. I have just installed Ubuntu-Sounds and activated System-Sounds and all the beeps on the desktop are working, especially the annoying beep when you open the menu with your mouse. Have you installed
Code: [Select]
ubuntu-restricted-extrasThey help to improve sound quality, plus to be able to make and play MP4, MP3 files.  ;)

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I have a intel based T430 and should I gain back access to my encrypted peppermint I'll see if it it'll further improve sound output  ;D

Offline andy-aux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:12:38 pm »
have you enabled them via peppermint settings panel > tweaks?

I did it this way and I looked into the dconf section if all settings were made correctly. Things went better! Finally I decided to logout and reboot...but then
I was not able to reach the login password field. The laptop hung just before having finished the encryption process of the hard disk (ssd).

I have f... up the system I think.  :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:14:37 pm by andy-aux »

Offline andy-aux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:22:28 pm »
the ticket for this problem can be closed. Thank you for your support.