Choose style:

Author Topic: Install P10 on New External SSD (Solved)  (Read 280 times)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10-64 Laptop, P9-32 Netbook
Install P10 on New External SSD (Solved)
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:37:19 am »
Currently running P9 on Dell with W10 dual boot on 500 GB HDD and would like to upgrade to SSD and drop W10, I really can't stand W10 and never use it these days!

Question: Can I install P10 on new external, USB connected SSD, configure it to my requirements, copy data across from HDD to SSD, test drive until satisfied, then open up the laptop, take out the HDD and fit my newly configured SSD?

Thanks, BFN, Toshmarple
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:45:28 am by Toshmarple »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Install P10 on New External SSD
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:50:15 am »
In theory - yes

good luck - hope it works out well for you
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:46:18 pm »
Installation went perfectly and the speed improvement is fantastic but I do have a problem:  The keyboard is erratic and unpredictable so typing is a nightmare.

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:00:50 pm »
If you're still running it from an external drive, maybe install Peppermint 9 instead? It sounds like 9 was working for you. That would rule out whether it's 10 that did it to you.

If you can use a mouse, you could disable the laptop's touchpad. I wonder if something about it is interfering with the keyboard input? (I can't hardly use a laptop's keyboard with the touchpad enabled.).

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 09:03:11 pm »

If you can use a mouse, you could disable the laptop's touchpad. I wonder if something about it is interfering with the keyboard input? (I can't hardly use a laptop's keyboard with the touchpad enabled.).

Yeah know what you mean there, the vibration from the keyboard causes the touchpad to send the cursor back whilst writing on forums, leading to messed up sentences that you'd already typed. I now turn off the touchpad. Gone are those days of giant ball mice that when you closed the lid it sunk down into it's compartment. I swear they make the touchpad way too sensitive to vibration especially. I use a external USB mouse on my Lenovo and have no problems with vibration interference, now the touchpad is switched off. I know it's hard to use a external mouse if you're on a train or something, but when fully plugged in and at a desk it's perfect.  ;D

Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 09:32:20 pm »
I swear they make the touchpad way too sensitive to vibration especially. I use a external USB mouse on my Lenovo and have no problems with vibration interference, now the touchpad is switched off.

I have a script that disables the touchpad when the system boots. And, a custom key-combination executes a script to toggle it (on/off). So, by default it's always off. But, if I found myself in a position where I need the touchpad, I can get to it with a key-combo.

(The only touchpad I thought was usable was a Lenovo with the red "stick" in the middle of the keyboard. You could use your index finger to steer the mouse pointer. It had two mouse "click" surfaces beneath the spacebar. Not just "touch" surfaces, but small panels you had to deliberately push down and feel a "click" like a mouse. I don't understand why that didn't become the standard for touchpads.).

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:46:12 pm »
I swear they make the touchpad way too sensitive to vibration especially. I use a external USB mouse on my Lenovo and have no problems with vibration interference, now the touchpad is switched off.

I have a script that disables the touchpad when the system boots. And, a custom key-combination executes a script to toggle it (on/off). So, by default it's always off. But, if I found myself in a position where I need the touchpad, I can get to it with a key-combo.

(The only touchpad I thought was usable was a Lenovo with the red "stick" in the middle of the keyboard. You could use your index finger to steer the mouse pointer. It had two mouse "click" surfaces beneath the spacebar. Not just "touch" surfaces, but small panels you had to deliberately push down and feel a "click" like a mouse. I don't understand why that didn't become the standard for touchpads.).

I have a Dell Elitebook 2540p with the same thing a stick in the middle of the keyboard and below that above the touchpad is the left and right buttons. That Elitebook has one of the very first SSD's a 90GB one which is housed in some metal casing, made for the size of the SSD a 1.5" thing, but it goes like a rocket. The only problem with the Elitebook is it's too heavy as it comes with VGA, HDMI and a DVD Drive, if memory serves me correctly? I'm here on my night shift again and have done all my chores. Just waiting for day staff to arrive now at 08:00hrs. Typing this on my Lenovo Yoga 500. The keyboard on this lovely to type on, plus it's nice and light and since I've upgraded it to 8GB Ram and a 500GB SSD it hardly has to spin the cooling fan. The only time it does is when I'm watching YouTube videos.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:48:02 pm by clatterfordslim »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 11:56:17 pm »
The keyboard is erratic and unpredictable so typing is a nightmare.

spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:34 am »
Thanks guys, I hate touchpads so I already use a cordless mouse but with all the excitement of the new SSD and P10, I never thought about disabling the touchpad which I did when I installed P9!!!!

So here I am today with my old Dell running like clockwork with it's new speedy SSD now installed internally and P!0.  What more can I ask! 

Bfn Tosh

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:35 am »
Thanks guys, I hate touchpads so [...]

#metoo

Unfortunately, they're an evil necessity when one is using a laptop on... your lap - using it when one is standing and balancing it in the air with one hand and typing with the other - using it on an airplane snack tray - or, standing at a hotel registration/check-in desk, et ecetera.

I might also say... I hate cell phones too - same church, different pew. When one thinks about it, 'smarties' are (technically) one big 'touchpad'.

But, I digress...  :)

Offline Toshmarple

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 11:36:12 am »
I am going to mark this post 'solved' now as all seems well and the keyboard jitters are gone but thought I would add that I am in new territory - I'm  100% windows free, no duel operating system, only Peppermint 10 and my first 100% clean installation on my first SSD!  Hurrah, hurrah!  Bfn Tosh.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Install P10 on New External SSD (Solved)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »
Seems to me there was a fix for "setting a delay" on the touchpad that has been referenced many times... but my search...  ahhh, here's one:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1239.msg10700.html#msg10700
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:55 pm »
I am going to mark this post 'solved' now as all seems well and the keyboard jitters are gone but thought I would add that I am in new territory - I'm  100% windows free, no duel operating system, only Peppermint 10 and my first 100% clean installation on my first SSD!  Hurrah, hurrah!  Bfn Tosh.

Congratulations Tosh and welcome to the addictive world of Peppermint Linux. So glad everything working out for you. Any problems no matter how big or small we are all here to help and it's that, that makes this Peppermint community great.  ;)