Choose style:

Author Topic: [Abandoned] Able to boot from, but not install from, LiveDVD  (Read 191 times)

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
[Abandoned] Able to boot from, but not install from, LiveDVD
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:32:49 pm »
My emergency backup PC (purchased in 2007 with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed) has had Peppermint 8 on it. I installed it from a LiveDVD when 8 first came out. I went to put Peppermint 10 on it and it will boot from the disk but goes to "Video mode not supported". I tried several Linux distros (Lubuntu, Puppy, AntiX) and they either boot but will not display install options or they go to "Video mode not supported".

I checked the BIOS settings and they are: CD, HDD, USB.

I think that making a LiveUSB will yield the same results since it is also not the HDD.

The box is off right now, and this is NOT an emergency.I should know this but I don't: I "think" it has grub boot loader.

I have been careful to always update my MAIN box but it is Peppermint 5 which I know is obsolete. I was wanting to try out 10 on the OLD machine first. I can certainly live with an emergency only PC at Peppermint 8.

I am getting a lot of pages from duckduckgo after my query but I don't think I am constructing it correctly. My bad.  :(

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:08:10 pm by dcmarti1 »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: Able to boot from, but not install from, LiveDVD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:51:04 am »
Hi dcmarti1

Try the following instructions

Boot to the Peppermint 10 LiveCD/LiveUSB .. when you get to the screen where it offers you "Try Peppermint" and "Install Peppermint" ..  hit the "Tab" key

You'll then see some white writing at the bottom of screen that ends with

quiet splash --

Use the backspace key to remove quiet splash --

and replace it with nomodeset

then hit enter to continue booting.

Did that allow you to boot ?
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 07:33:14 am »
It may take a day or two, but I will try it. Thanks, emegra.

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
[Solved] Re: Able to boot from, but not install from, LiveDVD
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:35:30 am »
I just tried it. It got much further into booting the LiveDVD but it finally ended with this error message, and I am NOT kidding you: "Not a typewriter", hundreds of times.

I tried Lubuntu again, and AntiX. This time they died on not being able to find sr0 or no file system being on sr0.

On a lark, I had downloaded a distro called iQunix, a BARE Ubuntu 12.04 ISO. I am, in fact, running it now and replying to you in the Jet browser. Amazingly, thus LiveCD does work with my USB wi-fi adapter straight off the disk.

I am thinking that if newer distros failed it is due to the CD drive (h/w) and age. This can be closed as overcome-by-events. I'll put SOLVED in the Subject line to close it.

Hi dcmarti1

Try the following instructions

Boot to the Peppermint 10 LiveCD/LiveUSB .. when you get to the screen where it offers you "Try Peppermint" and "Install Peppermint" ..  hit the "Tab" key

You'll then see some white writing at the bottom of screen that ends with

quiet splash --

Use the backspace key to remove quiet splash --

and replace it with nomodeset

then hit enter to continue booting.

Did that allow you to boot ?

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:05:01 pm »
Hello @dcmartl1 ... please don't put [SOLVED] in the original post subject line unless we do indeed solve this issue. Instead either leave it as an open request to come back to later or put [ABANDONED] in the OP subject line if you have decided to let it go.

If you are interested in continuing, please boot the machine as normal and give us the terminal output from inxi -Fz so we'll know what video card and drivers we're working with.

spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »
I did put abandoned in the title. Thank you.

Hello @dcmartl1 ... please don't put [SOLVED] in the original post subject line unless we do indeed solve this issue. Instead either leave it as an open request to come back to later or put [ABANDONED] in the OP subject line if you have decided to let it go.

If you are interested in continuing, please boot the machine as normal and give us the terminal output from inxi -Fz so we'll know what video card and drivers we're working with.