Author Topic: Need help with DropBox on GPD Pocket 2  (Read 381 times)

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Need help with DropBox on GPD Pocket 2
« on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
Hi, guys,

I would like to warn that this thread might seem off topic by someone but I have no other place to ask for help.

I have an Ultra Mobil PC (UMPC) GPD Pocket 2 with Ubuntu MATE 19.10 (GPD Pocket 2 respin) installed on it.

I have a problem with running DropBox on it, so I posted this question on their forum:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/dropbox-on-the-encrypted-drive-does-not-work/20903

The problem still persists and it seems to me that the problem is hardware-specific.

I am just hoping that there is someone knowledgeable on this forum who would help me to fix this problem.

On my other laptop I am running Peppermint 9 and it does not have any problem with Dropbox or pCloud.

I do not know what hardware can conflict with the Dropbox. This contradicts all my knowledge of computers.

Thank you in advance, guys,

XVC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:56:23 pm by xvc »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Need help with DropBox on GPD Pocket 2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:18:49 pm »
Hi, guys,

I would like to warn that this thread might seem off topic by someone but I have no other place to ask for help.

I have an Ultra Mobil PC (UMPC) GPD Pocket 2 with Ubuntu MATE 19.10 (GPD Pocket 2 respin) installed on it.

I have a problem with running DropBox on it, so I posted this question on their forum:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/dropbox-on-the-encrypted-drive-does-not-work/20903

The problem still persists and it seems to me that the problem is hardware-specific.

I am just hoping that there is someone knowledgeable on this forum who would help me to fix this problem.

On my other laptop I am running Peppermint 9 and it does not have any problem with Dropbox or pCloud.

I do not know what hardware can conflict with the Dropbox. This contradicts all my knowledge of computers.

Thank you in advance, guys,

XVC

Hi xvc, how's it going  ;)?  Welcome to the Peppermint Forum  :)DropBox have been changing their user policies.  It appears they may no longer support encrypted files on ext4 files system.  It also depends on whether you are using the free version, or the subscription based version.  If you're using the free version, DropBox have now limited the number of devices you can sync.  The best thing we can suggest, is to ask on the DropBox Community Forum.  I hope this helps and good luck  ;).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:20:48 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:20:14 pm »
Hi, AndyInMokum,

Thank you for the reply. I wanted to ask you for something else that you or other Peppermint OS developer can easily do. I tried it by myself and failed.

The Ubuntu MATE respin for GPD Pocket 2 is made by applying a script to the regular Ubuntu MATE 19.10. The script is here

https://github.com/wimpysworld/umpc-ubuntu

They claim that this script works on any Ubuntu derivative.

After I bought the GPD Pocket 2, I spoke with Mark on this forum and he gave me instructions to run this script. I installed the Peppermint 10 respin on the GPD Pocket 2, and it installed with no problems.

Then I tried to run the script, and I apparently did something wrong because it did not go through.

If you or someone else could include that script into the Peppermint 10 respin (call it Peppermint OS 10 for GPD Pocket 2) that might be the ultimate fix of all my problem.

The link to this test re-spin could be shared privately so that I could test before it goes public.

When I installed Peppermint 10 on the GPF Pocket 2 everything worked out of the box including the DropBox running on the LUKS encrypted hard drive. This makes me think that the problem is not with the DropBox.There were several things that needed to be fixed though:

1. touch screen
2. the heights of the title bars on the windows - when the fonts were adjusted for HiDPi the title bars did not increase in size and were too small for those large fonts.
3. the login screen was still 90-degree rotated which was annoying

I hoped that the script would fix all these problems.

On December 28th, 2019, I described my experience with GPD Pocket 2, Peppermint 10 and Ubuntu MATE on this forum. I hoped Mark would help me make Peppermint OS work on GPD Pocket 2.

Probably he was not feeling well at the time of my post already.

Is it doable or I am asking for too much?

Making Peppermint 10 running on this little device would help to cut idle resources consumption down by 50%. Peppermint is so much lighter than Ubuntu MATE, and would be an ideal OS for this device.

Thank you in advance,

XVC
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:23:30 pm by xvc »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 03:37:19 pm »
Hi xvc, Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter, (Copy & Paste) the following code into the terminal window.  Hit enter and post the output back to the forum:
Code: [Select]
ls -a ~/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:37:34 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline xvc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:04 pm »
Hi, the following is the command's output

Code: [Select]

.              Documents      .mozilla     stacer_1.0.9_amd64.deb
..             Downloads      Music        .sudo_as_admin_successful
.bash_history  .dropbox       .pcloud      Templates