Choose style:

Author Topic: How do I find the source code?  (Read 878 times)

Offline bscho

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
How do I find the source code?
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:04:40 pm »
How do I find the source code so I can compile it from the source?

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find the source code?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:20:31 pm »
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of Debian packaging so I'll give you a brief intro and then link some relevant information.

How do I find the source code so I can compile it from the source?

The source code to what, exactly? Peppermint is not a large monolithic application that can be singularly compiled. Rather it's a combination of hundreds of software packages, each of which can be compiled individually. Those packages are maintained by myriad individuals and organizations but pretty much all of them can be managed with a package management system called "apt". You can access a list of all installed packages using the following command:

Code: [Select]
dpkg -l

And you can download the source code for that package using:

apt-get source <PACKAGENAME>

From within the source directory you can install the build dependencies using:

apt-get build-dep <PACKAGENAME>

Once done you can compile the package using:

dpkg-buildpackage

You can read up on the specifics of Debian packaging as it covers the standards in place by upstream projects Debian and Ubuntu as well as the Peppermint specific packages: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

Also here's a really old tutorial I wrote for Linux Mint on getting started with Debian packaging: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/55

Also the source code for most packages is available on the individual project websites, but there's rarely any consideration for individual Linux distributions and their packaging systems. In those cases you would almost always be compiling and installing directly and without things such as dependency tracking or the ability to easily remove the software. Because the specific vary from project to project, there's no reasonable way for me to be able to proceed with this, but most projects will have compilation and installation instructions available on their respective websites.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 02:45:37 pm »
Hi bscho,

I noticed that you asked the very same question again in the "general discussions" part of the forums after "kendall" already gave you the general answer here already, but you did not answer his question here as well as mine on the other post thread.

Which source code are you looking for?

Regards,

The Omen
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:25:15 pm by The Omen »

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 03:07:41 pm »
I removed the other post as 1) being a duplicate; and 2) not being in the relevant section.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.