Choose style:

Author Topic: Debian 7.4  (Read 3047 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Debian 7.4
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »
After a mention of debian linux in another post I decided to go download it and play around...
I downloaded the live CD with LXDE and i must say i liked it enough to click the install button on the live cd....
well needless to say that was something i regret, it failed to find my wifi card and after skipping that step in installer it would do one step then jump back to trying the wifi card...  after about 3 times i said enough and hit the power off button,.....
now I have no windows 7 nothing and a grub loader i can't fix....
I decided to live boot my peppermint 3 to save the day....
i went into gparted and whacked the dang partition that had debian on it then did a side by side install with peppermint 3 and saved my laptop it now dual boots and windows 7 is back Hooray.....

So not to be hateful of debian i decided to download the plain installer CD this time, and I am now running that on the old IBM t22 test machine and not my good laptop like before......
I'll let everyone know how I make out it is doing a DOS style install no mouse support which is funky in itself.... but it found everything on the old T22 but it seems like it is taking forever which is typical of the t22 very few linux distros like the t22...   :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Debian 7.4
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:12 pm »
debian installed on the t22 but like most other distros the t22 failed to boot it up it dies at the desktop, I can't wait for peppermint 5 to come out I know that is going to save the day when it comes to the old T22....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »
Antix MX-14 is debian wheezy on steroids and packaged to be user friendly.  I have it running on an old pentium 3 machine with less than 400 MB  RAM.  It should run on your T22 just fine if you want to give it a shot.   It's in Beta 2 but works well.  If you interested you can find it here:
http://antix.mepis.org/?title=Main_Page
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:09:58 pm »
Antix MX-14 is debian wheezy on steroids and packaged to be user friendly.  I have it running on an old pentium 3 machine with less than 400 MB  RAM.  It should run on your T22 just fine if you want to give it a shot.   It's in Beta 2 but works well.  If you interested you can find it here:
http://antix.mepis.org/?title=Main_Page
Thanks mac, it is one of the 50 or so distros I already tried, so far there are only 4 distros that work on the old box....
if i remember correctly mx14 did work, but i just could not get used to the task bar, i like simple like windows 98 style or LXDE which is my favorite in linux....  :)
peppermint 3
antix 13.4 full
PClinuxOS LXDE
and the new Lubuntu 14.04 daily build
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »
I want to add the fact that this IBM T22 is not mine it belongs to my friends daughter...
she had windows 98 on it then windows 2000 then windows xp but she had xp set up using the old style menus and taskbar so it basically looked like and ran like windows 98 and 2000....
My quest is to find an os that will keep the laptop in use but also be easy enough for her to understand it and use it this is why I search for LXDE style distros like peppermint 3... 
Antix does work on it as i said prior, and if you use their metapackage installer and click desktop managers, you can choose LXDE lite which installs pcmanfm and the lxde environment, and makes antix a lot more user friendly...  However there is one drawback to antix, and that is the way they update their system, you can either update via terminal with commands or make scripts for the commands, or you can use synaptic and click reload and mark all updates which is easier I think, but neither of these ways has an auto updater that tells the person there is updates.....

Which is why I like peppermint 3 so much for the T22, but after playing with lubuntu 14.04 daily build, I think I am going to wait and give her peppermint 5 since lubuntu works so well, I am sure when they build peppermint 5 from that lubuntu build it is going to be fantastic.....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
I'm not pushing antiX (or anything else) on you and I understand your preferences.  However, MX-14 does indeed have an update indicator: it's in the panel you don't like (yellow box about 3/4 of the way down).   ;)

One of the great things about Linux is all the choices you have.  I keep a test machine or two around because I like to test a lot of them.  But in all I've tried (dating back to Mandrake 7) I have seen nothing that holds a candle to Peppermint.  There are some really good offerings out there but, for my computing needs, I'll take Peppermint every day to the week and twice on Sunday.   

Well, enough of that  ::).  Good luck with your search.
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:29:11 am »
My quest is to find an os that will keep the laptop in use but also be easy enough for her to understand

What's wrong with Peppermint 3 ?

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:33:35 am »
My quest is to find an os that will keep the laptop in use but also be easy enough for her to understand

What's wrong with Peppermint 3 ?

Graeme
Nothing at all, I am waiting for Peppermint 5 to come out though, so she has the latest LTS on it....
That lubuntu 14.04 daily build is so fast and uses such little ram compared to peppermint 3, and on this machine where I am maxed out at 512 mb ram the least amount of ram used the better for me...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40