Choose style:

Author Topic: Easyest VPN to install on Peppermint linux  (Read 212 times)

Offline DavidJohn

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Easyest VPN to install on Peppermint linux
« on: January 17, 2020, 02:29:24 am »
I'm new to Peppermint and Linux, having trouble getting a VPN installed, is there a VPN company that has a torrent friendly easy to install GUI?..

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Easyest VPN to install on Peppermint linux
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:07:16 am »
I'm new to Peppermint and Linux, having trouble getting a VPN installed, is there a VPN company that has a torrent friendly easy to install GUI?..

Hi DavidJohn, how's it going  ;)?  Welcome aboard the good ship Peppermint  ;).  I don't know of any VPN providers that have a Linux GUI client. 

I'm using the free ProtonVPN service.  It's excellent too  ;).  This is provided by the encrypted email service, ProtonMail.  They're base at CERN in Switzerland.  They have a command line client that's dead easy to install and configure.  You simply download the version for: On Debian / Ubuntu / Linux Mint and other derivatives.  They provide a full tutorial on how to install it and set it up.  It's all copying and pasting and few edits.  I've had an email account there for years.  I think new ProtonVPN users receive a free encrypted email account too  ;).  Apart from the free account, they've also three levels of subscription ProtonVPNs.   It really is super simple to setup.  You end up with two commands to use in the terminal.  One to start the VPN and one to stop the VPN.  To start it:
Code: [Select]
sudp ipsec up {The Name You Gave To Your Connection}
To stop it:
Code: [Select]
sudp ipsec down {The Name You Gave To Your Connection}
The Basic 4 Euros/month plan is bit torrent friendly too.   According to the development team, creating a GUI Client is a high priority for 2020.  You can check it out here: ProtonVPN and the tutorial here: Linux IKEv2 ProtonVPN tutorial
.  Of course if you decide to use their service and need help, don't hesitate to ask us.  It's why we're here  :)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:04 am »
Hi

Private Internet Access have a Linux GUI. I currently have it installed in Peppermint and on my phone. I have a 3yr subscription with them too.

I am happy with the way the service works.

VPN's are a very personal choice.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:46:16 am »
Hi

Private Internet Access have a Linux GUI. I currently have it installed in Peppermint and on my phone. I have a 3yr subscription with them too.

I am happy with the way the service works.

VPN's are a very personal choice.

Regards Zeb...

That's a new one to me.  It's good to know  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:07:07 am »
I have been using Torguard and have found them to be a very good company to deal with..relatively easy installs. I have it mounted on Windows 10, Windows 8.1  , Cell phones on Peppermint 10 and Linux Mint 18.3. I have had issues recently on my Linux machines but have Torguard working on it even though l think the issue is with the ITV Television in the UK as l still receive BBC Programing with no issues. Missing my Coronation Street Soaps on Linux. ::) ::)