Choose style:

Author Topic: Install Respin on Linux dual boot (Solved)  (Read 195 times)

Offline dwbsovran

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): v.10
Install Respin on Linux dual boot (Solved)
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »
I want to upgrade Peppermint 10 to Respin which runs alongside Linux Mint 19.3 as a dual boot.  Linux Mint gives me the option of installing over 19.2 when upgrading.  Peppermint only gives me the option to install along side LM and Peppermint 10.  Hardware  Dell All-in-One i7 w 8G memory and 2T HD.  How do I install over Peppermint 10 in my dual boot?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:22:20 pm by dwbsovran »

Offline Leviticus

• nOOb
  • Appalachian Swamp Monkey
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Install Respin on Linux dual boot
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:39:15 am »
I want to upgrade Peppermint 10 to Respin which runs alongside Linux Mint 19.3 as a dual boot.  Linux Mint gives me the option of installing over 19.2 when upgrading.  Peppermint only gives me the option to install along side LM and Peppermint 10.  Hardware  Dell All-in-One i7 w 8G memory and 2T HD.  How do I install over Peppermint 10 in my dual boot?

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,9208.0.html

Please note, you do this at your own risk.  I would take Slim.Fatz advice unless you are determined that you need the respin.

If this solves your issue, please edit the post title to mark the problem as (SOLVED).

Gracious and toodles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:50:25 am by Leviticus »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:31:46 am »
Hi dwbsovran,

I sorry to tell you this but there is no simple method (e.g. by selecting an upgrade option or by pressing a button in some app) for upgrading from one version of Peppermint to another version. You will need to first backup your personal files (documents, pictures, videos, music etc) to, for example, a cloud storage or to an external drive. Then you delete (reformat) the partition containing your current Peppermint version and install the new version on the cleaned (reformatted) partition.  ;)

If this is all too much work, then why not stay with the Peppermint 10 version? The respin really does not offer that much new for you. I will probably never upgrade to the respin because my version 10 is running perfectly. I will only consider upgrading when, e.g. a newer version offers me really something that I need or badly desire, but is impossible to add to my current version 108)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline dwbsovran

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): v.10
Re: Install Respin on Linux dual boot (Solved?)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:45:17 pm »
Thanks guys!  I had pretty much come to that conclusion.  Being a non-geek and only mildly proficient, it will be a learning experience to format and re-install.  Fortunately it is my learning / experimental computer, not my main.  For 4 years I have run Cinnamon on my DT & LT.  Peppermint caught my eye and I am very impressed.  I am helping two to switch to Linux.  One will be a Peppermint install.  I hope this is a small fix that can be added to the next version. Then I can add it to my DT.  Several people run two versions of Linux on their computers.  I hope Peppermint installs will eventually allow you to overwite one of the two distros, no matter which they may be.  Good work PM Team!  Peppermint 10 is a WINNER!  Remember always that the small finishing touches are also important!  In place upgrades would also be nice.  Condolences also!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:51:34 am »
Hi dwbsovran,

It is possible, using the PeppermintOS installer app, to intentionally overwrite a partition and install PeppermintOS on that partition. One must simply be very carefull that the correct partition is being reformatted!  ;) And because unexpected things and mistakes can and do occur, we always advise everyone to make a backup of their important personal files (to be really safe: somewhere off of the computer being worked on) before performing the reformatting and installation.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:27 pm »
Hi dwbsovran, you only need to select "Something Else" when installing and from there you can choose which partition you want to overwrite.
What was I thinking?