Choose style:

Author Topic: Install a Canon MG7720 Printer  (Read 186 times)

Offline Sldgman

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Install a Canon MG7720 Printer
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:10:23 am »
I am having difficulty installing a Canon MG7720 printer in Peppermint 10.  I have search through the messages here, but the I get a 404 error message when I try to follow the steps previously posted.  I am a newby, so please give detailed instructions.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Install a Canon MG7720 Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:25:06 pm »
I am having difficulty installing a Canon MG7720 printer in Peppermint 10.  I have search through the messages here, but the I get a 404 error message when I try to follow the steps previously posted.  I am a newby, so please give detailed instructions.

Hi Sldgman, welcome to Peppermint. You started this post in the wrong Hardware section, should have been under Support. At any rate, what did you do that returned the error code?
What was I thinking?

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:14:00 am »
Canon doesn't offer Linux drivers for a large number of their printers, including the MG7720. In the past I've had luck using Google Cloud Print with many of their wireless printers. My solutions for things was to print to PDF, open the PDF in Chrome, and then print using GCP. The MG7720 is wireless so this should be an option for you.

Another option I've had excellent results with is a 3rd party driver suite called TurboPrint. In my experience it has worked excellently but it's neither free or open source. For years I used TurboPrint with a Canon PIXMA Pro-100 and never had a problem. Here's their link:

https://www.turboprint.info/
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:02:54 pm »
Hi Sldgman,

I can confirm what kendall says about TurboPrint. Not free but works very well. I also used it for years with a Canon Pixma printer. Eventually the printer died, and as a replacement I purchased an HP printer (HP has very good linux support). So if you wish to retain your Canon printer and prefer not to go the route suggested by kendall (making a PDF, then using GCP) then check out TurboPrint;)

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome