Author Topic: Peppermint project lead Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) has passed away.  (Read 21753 times)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Re: Peppermint project lead Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) has passed away.
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2020, 04:00:08 am »
Just two other songs in tribute to Mr. Mark Greaves in memorium: My friend who used to be on the forums asked me to submit these in his behalf: He really cared and still cares: When he submitted these songs, He was still in tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz-5J9-WLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDaNYDQv7Y
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:25:41 pm by The Omen »

Offline Diranda

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:27 am »
I'm a new user on the forums, but I have been using Peppermint for almost a year now.  I really love this distro and was happy to find it has such a supportive community.  So I was sad to learn about Mark Greaves' passing this morning. 
I'm sad for his family and the community, from what I understand, he was well-loved by everyone.  My condolences to his family and friends.  I hope the community of Peppermint continues to carry on his legacy.

Blessings,
Julie (aka Diranda)

Offline Nubz

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2020, 02:22:12 pm »
Did not know of Mark and never researched Peppermint OS much.

From the little I have read and heard the last few days I see that he was a good guy.

Made this account just to pay respects and say that this is a loss not only to this Distro but to the Linux community as a whole in my opinion from what I have gathered about Mark.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline Jayne

• Royal Family
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 02:27:07 pm »
Hello everyone, My name is Jayne, I am Marks wife. I would just like to say a massive THANK YOU from myself and our two sons for all the wonderful messages you have written about Mark, He loved talking to you all and helping everyone, you guys were like his second family.  He was very proud of Peppermint, a friend of ours had a peppermint clock done for him which he loved. Also his mouse mat and wallet had the Peppermint logo on them, we shall all be wearing our Peppermint T shirts when we have his funeral in honour of this wonderful man. THANK YOU once again for all your support, we have read your messages, its lovely to see how loved he was. God Bless all of you. x

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2020, 04:55:31 pm »
Hello everyone, My name is Jayne, I am Marks wife. I would just like to say a massive THANK YOU from myself and our two sons for all the wonderful messages you have written about Mark, He loved talking to you all and helping everyone, you guys were like his second family.  He was very proud of Peppermint, a friend of ours had a peppermint clock done for him which he loved. Also his mouse mat and wallet had the Peppermint logo on them, we shall all be wearing our Peppermint T shirts when we have his funeral in honour of this wonderful man. THANK YOU once again for all your support, we have read your messages, its lovely to see how loved he was. God Bless all of you. x

Hello Jayne. Thank you for taking the time to check in with us. We can't put into words how grateful we are to have had Mark for all these years. I hope you and your family are weathering the situation well.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2020, 05:16:51 pm »
Hi very sad and good people,

I informed my "Linux Jedi Master", my "Mentor", AKA, (He who shall not be Named), of the passing of Mr. Greaves.

He did something I have never seen him do and I have known him for 7 yrs, and has only taken me on to teach me all about Linux, and Peppermint in particular, over the last three years. I have now just turned 18 a couple months ago.

He cried, I mean he really cried, which made me cry.

He told me that this was a "passing of an era".

Even though he is banned for life here on the forums, Until now, I did not realise just how much honor and respect he held for Mr Greaves.

Even as he was crying, he said, "Mark needs to be honored for his many contributions".

He said that maybe the next version of Peppermint should be called the "Mark Greaves" edition or the "PCNetSpec" edition.

He also said to me that all of "us" who are members of the forums should make ourselves totally available in whatever way "we" can, to be of help to those left behind to help out to whatever we can do, to help the developers to continue with Peppermint as a tribute to Mark Greaves.

Heck, I thought these two hated each other, Im just a dumb kid. What do i know. Sounds to me like they both respected each other despite whatever their fight and differences was ever about.

His tears are not  lieing, at least to me.

He did something else I have never seen him do in front of me.

He opened a bottle of something called "glen fidiche" or something like that and raised his glass to Mr. Greaves and just said. "You sir will be sorely missed", then sat down and cried.

I cried as well, you would think that these two were friends, not frenemies.

I guess I have much to learn about how adults really feel about each other, especially when one passes away and they can never take back what they ever said to each other.

I have seen a side of my "Mentor" as well.  I did not think he had emotions like this.

Warmest and best regards to all family, friends, associates, and all of us that Mr.Greaves ever spoke to and helped here,

The Omen

He helped me too.

EDIT, I will only tell you who the "Mentor" is, (He who shall not be Named), ONLY if moderators will promise me not to ban me for doing this, I was warned by Mr. Greaves to never do so, and will never do so, Unless I have Moderators promise that this is OK.

My young friend what your Mentor is, in my 70 years experience, is a Gentleman...A word not used much in these days but is truly descriptive and speaks volumes as the the character of your friend...cherish him.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »

Dear Jayne,

Please accept my condolences. I hope you and your sons will forgive me for daring to borrow a "Britishcism" but I am completely gutted. I think I speak for most of us on #teampeppermint when I say we are ever so grateful that the three of you shared Mark... umm Our Leige @PCNetSpec with us for all of these years. All I can say is thank you.

It's strange though, I had hoped to wander thru and have a beer with him one day. Though we never met in person , and he may have grumbled under his breath about my cluelessness, the www and this forum allowed me to consider him a friend. I hope you three may find some wee bit of consolation in knowing he will be missed all around the globe.

Ever so grateful,
spence
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Fritz74

• Trusted User
  • m, 46, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 respin
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2020, 07:23:37 am »
This thread is sad and beautiful at the same time. Our time is limited and helping people with your knowledge is certainly a good way to spend your life. I admired how Mark solved every single problem people posted on this forum. He had a good sense of humor too. His presence here was one of the reasons, Peppermint has become one of my favorite Linux distributions. He was a role model for many of us.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:25:34 am by Fritz74 »

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 06:18:24 am »
I was looking for anything about Mr. Greaves to know better about him and Peppermint and found this interview he did last month Dec. 9th 2019.

In the article, he mentions the original founders Shane and Kendall, Who also appear as Administrators for the forums.

I do not know if this was just done recently or not but I think it is nice that they are here with us right now.

Please enjoy what i think, judging by the date, is probably Mr. Greaves last interview.

"An Interview With Peppermint CEO Mark Greaves"

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/an-interview-with-peppermint-ceo-mark-greaves

Regards,

The Omen

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2020, 07:55:16 am »
Not sure why Linuxandubuntu.com did this but this is a regurgitated interview he did over 18 months ago.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5779.msg58339.html#msg58339

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline TheLamerLinux

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 12:48:13 pm »
Please send my love and support to the Marks family. Love him and what he develops I've never knew him personally but hearing this makes me know him more than "just a person that's on the internet" love what he did on Peppermint.

Still being praying for his family and love ones.

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 01:00:07 pm »
Not sure why Linuxandubuntu.com did this but this is a regurgitated interview he did over 18 months ago.

Regards Zeb...

Zeb,
I had thought this was a good interview.  I learned more about Mark and where his influences began.  I had thought Peppermint 6 was a big change from 5, not knowing at the time Mark was the reason. I think it was also about the time the article came out that I had learned PCNetSpec in the forum was Mark.  Okay, never accuse me of being quick.  It was through this article, along with small chats in the forum with Mark, that really solidified my love for this community he helped foster.   It is sometimes hard to put into words how some people, in many little ways, influence us and make us feel special.  Mark definitely was one of those people.

Offline Wolfenprey

• Newly Subscribed
  • A Family Man
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 10 Respin
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 03:19:04 pm »
It is very sad to enter the forum and find out about such serious news. I don't usually write here, because I've never had problems with what it is and it will always be my favorite operating system. My deepest condolences to the family, acquaintances and users. A day to remember that a part of Mark, will always be with everyone. Rest in peace.

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »

Regards Zeb...

Zeb,
I had thought this was a good interview.  I learned more about Mark and where his influences began.  I had thought Peppermint 6 was a big change from 5, not knowing at the time Mark was the reason. I think it was also about the time the article came out that I had learned PCNetSpec in the forum was Mark.  Okay, never accuse me of being quick.  It was through this article, along with small chats in the forum with Mark, that really solidified my love for this community he helped foster.   It is sometimes hard to put into words how some people, in many little ways, influence us and make us feel special.  Mark definitely was one of those people.

He most certainly was special Steve, I and lots of other people never met Mark in the flesh, but being on this forum we never had to he welcomed everyone with open arms and his heart of gold. Never before have I met someone or conversed with someone who just was so down to earth and always so generous with his time, for helping people hanging out with people in the forums chatting with him, the laughing with him. The hard work that Mark put into making this forum what it is and not to forget the users too, who follow Mark's lead. I absolutely love this Forum and Peppermint. You would never ever get this with a Microsoft forum. We are all one big happy family and it's that feeling of I wonder what problems people are having today, or you might see something on the web that was interesting and you just know you have to share it here on the forum. Through our conversations we had with Mark we all  got to know him in our own way and it's those conversations I will hold onto forever. I miss him like mad I really do he helped make not just mine but everybody's lives bright. Had a bad day go onto the Peppermint forums and see just the calmness all around. Dizzy Egg men help an awful lot on this forum to brighten your day up too. Mark definitely had a way of pulling everyone together as a family and Peppermint OS is full of his magic and love.

If you scroll down to Johan's comment after the article it says November 2nd, 2020, 9:50pm. Weird.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:52:04 pm by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline stevesveryown

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2020, 10:14:43 pm »
BDLL started off with a nice tribute to Mark tonight. In all the comments made the underlying message was Mark helped everyone, no matter who they were.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk