Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint project lead Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) has passed away.  (Read 16791 times)

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
Re: Peppermint project lead Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) has passed away.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:05 am »
I'm sitting here with my eyes wielling up, for a highly knowledgable and helpful man who I'd never met, and who's assistance has brought joy and happiness to many, many people the world over. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 01:19:10 pm »
 :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(   :(

So sorry to hear that Mark is gone, he was always so friendly and helpful.
Having people like him here is one of the main reasons that I've basically stuck with Peppermint since the days of Peppermint ICE.

He will be missed, he touched all of our lives. Condolences to the family.

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 02:55:57 pm »
I haven't been arround here since October and I'm still in chock after the PM from Slim today :'(
RIP PCNetSpec  :-*

I have no words to express my feelings.
My thoughts are with all his family and with all of you, the Peppermint family.  :'(  :-*

Offline kloos

• Fairly new at Linux
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 bit)
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »
What awful news.  I wish all of the family a long life with only happiness ahead :'(

Offline DelGrey

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10,9
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 04:32:40 pm »
 I am so sorry to hear this sad news.My deepest condolences to Mark's family. We have lost a friend today.

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 05:00:00 pm »
I have only been here for a short while now, but will always remember Mr. Greaves as welcoming and helpful to a young newcomer like me.

I am shocked and surprised to read about his passing away just now in the forums.

I think we will all find it hard to think about Peppermint OS as well as the forums without him.

My prayers and condolences will be with Mr. Greaves family and friends at this sad time for them as well as for everyone on the forums who has been "touched" by his life and the time and help he has extended to everyone who has asked and many late night hours he spent here extending his help and advice.

My sadness and regards to all,

The Omen

Offline Wil2197

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10.0
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 05:42:21 pm »
Signed up for an account once I heard the news today on Mark Greaves. As a huge fan of Peppermint and his contribution to Linux, this news has deeply saddened me. My condolences goes out to his family  He will be greatly missed.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »
I am shocked and saddened by the news.  Mark was a great guy and did so much for Peppermint and all of Linux.  My heartfelt condolences to his family and his many friends both in the UK and USA. 

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 07:19:33 pm »
I met Mark on the old forum during the Peppermint 3 days, Mark was always there with a fast reply, and the answer to solving the problem... You will be missed Mark!
My Deepest Condolences to your family...    :'(
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline gpfromnc

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 and 9
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 07:24:39 pm »
 So very sorry to hear this sad news. 

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 10:04:54 pm »
I've got an inbox full of kind DMs and numerous replies in this forum. I'm sure I'm not alone, he spent countless hours working, helping, chatting, joking with all of us.

He cared about this project and our community very deeply. I'm fortunate to have known him.

:'(
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:31 pm »
Hi very sad and good people,

I informed my "Linux Jedi Master", my "Mentor", AKA, (He who shall not be Named), of the passing of Mr. Greaves.

He did something I have never seen him do and I have known him for 7 yrs, and has only taken me on to teach me all about Linux, and Peppermint in particular, over the last three years. I have now just turned 18 a couple months ago.

He cried, I mean he really cried, which made me cry.

He told me that this was a "passing of an era".

Even though he is banned for life here on the forums, Until now, I did not realise just how much honor and respect he held for Mr Greaves.

Even as he was crying, he said, "Mark needs to be honored for his many contributions".

He said that maybe the next version of Peppermint should be called the "Mark Greaves" edition or the "PCNetSpec" edition.

He also said to me that all of "us" who are members of the forums should make ourselves totally available in whatever way "we" can, to be of help to those left behind to help out to whatever we can do, to help the developers to continue with Peppermint as a tribute to Mark Greaves.

Heck, I thought these two hated each other, Im just a dumb kid. What do i know. Sounds to me like they both respected each other despite whatever their fight and differences was ever about.

His tears are not  lieing, at least to me.

He did something else I have never seen him do in front of me.

He opened a bottle of something called "glen fidiche" or something like that and raised his glass to Mr. Greaves and just said. "You sir will be sorely missed", then sat down and cried.

I cried as well, you would think that these two were friends, not frenemies.

I guess I have much to learn about how adults really feel about each other, especially when one passes away and they can never take back what they ever said to each other.

I have seen a side of my "Mentor" as well.  I did not think he had emotions like this.

Warmest and best regards to all family, friends, associates, and all of us that Mr.Greaves ever spoke to and helped here,

The Omen

He helped me too.

EDIT, I will only tell you who the "Mentor" is, (He who shall not be Named), ONLY if moderators will promise me not to ban me for doing this, I was warned by Mr. Greaves to never do so, and will never do so, Unless I have Moderators promise that this is OK.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:39:28 pm by The Omen »

Offline mrausch73

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:37 pm »
What terrible news, I have been using Peppermint since the days of Peppermint 3, and at the time, with so much to learn, this forum was a great help. I have often told friends how nice it was to have a community here (even if I don't write often) that is so helpful, and Mark was a huge part of that. What a tragic loss, he has helped so many people.

--Matt

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 01:01:58 am »
My "Mentor" also mentioned something from the bible from "Ecclesiastes".

He told me to grab this song and share it with those in the forums.

From the Bible in Ecclesiastes:

Best and Warmest Regards,

The Omen

EDIT, I was too stupid to make the link work right here in the forum, Just copy and paste what i put into "code tags" to make it work right , im sorry for my stupidity to make it work right.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP4cfU28vM

I am the Native American here, My linux master is NOT native
American But he has taught me more than my Native American heritage, more about me than they could or have ever taught me, he offers this as memorial to Mr. greaves as well. obviously i do not know how to do this, so please just copy an past from the code tags.
There is no one that i know here, in my young years,  that helps and supports  Native Americans like my "mentor". just saying,

Here is his song in honor of Mr. Greaves.

You will have to copy and paste, since I cannot figure out otherwise: My "Mentor" honors me. as well as my ancestrial heritage, and i agree that his song to Mr. Greaves is a good thing.

Thank-You Mr. Greaves and all the good you have done.

And this is coming from the guy you banned for life, shame on you, Mr. moderator, who REALLY did this, his emotions shows itself for what it really is.

He shows how much he really cared.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1NHXSR3R7I

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:43:47 am by The Omen »

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 01:02:51 am »
Truly a huge loss. I won't repeat what others have said (except that I agree with them all).