Choose style:

Author Topic: XFce Power Manager  (Read 1036 times)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
Re: XFce Power Manager
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:45 pm »
Thank you for that lead Spence...as indicated in the attached screenshot this does indeed describe the issue "limit charging from between 55 and 60%" but there is only information (that l can see) for systems loaded with Windows 8.1 which is what this one had prior to my loading Peppermint the power management system they refer to is no longer onboard l am thinking but on one of Lenovos pages they do have an executable file that may effect the needed repair but l am reluctant to execute

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:55:44 pm by windrose »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 03:06:53 am »
Hi windrose,

If the file is listed as an exe file then it can only be run by M$ Windows (meaning: such files are specific for a Windows OS environment) -- you cannot run such exe files in linux;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:13 am »
Interesting...

I would imagine those settings are changed/saved in BIOS.

Perhaps the trick would be to boot into winders, install/run the executable, config these settings, then cross your fingers.

I might mention, this is similar to why I dual-boot Peppermint with winders - downloading/installing BIOS updates, for instance.

If these battery settings are not saved to BIOS, and dependent on the settings in the winders app, then you're probably stuck with the default 50-60% envelope, when charged on non-winders OSs.

Just a guess...   :)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:13 am »
This is the pop up l received on the Zip file to download.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 09:10:22 am »
BTW, now that I think about the 50-60% charged figure...

That's the same envelope used on cell phones with fast-charge capabilities.

To protect the Li-ion batteries in phones with fast-charge capes, they cut the charging rate back from fast => slow at 60%, e.g. fast charging from 0-60% then slow charging from 60-100%.

But, I digress...  :)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:29 am »
This is the pop up l received on the Zip file to download.

Well, that filename is encouraging - 'firmware' suggests it is BIOS related, as discussed above  ;)

I'd dual-boot it, install the upgrade, and see what happens...

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 11:15:34 am »
Interesting.

I might mention, this is similar to why I dual-boot Peppermint with winders - downloading/installing BIOS updates, for instance.

If these battery settings are not saved to BIOS, and dependent on the settings in the winders app, then you're probably stuck with the default 50-60% envelope, when charged on non-winders OSs.

Just a guess...   :)
Help me understand this please , The BIOS settings are established with a Windose OS and an only be changed with a windose OS? Assuming the changes necessary are within the BIOS there is no way for Peppermint to effect the change?
I had wiped the computer when l installed PM and do not have a Windose OS on a disc.
It is not that the computer can not run in its present condition but l just am not certain how much battery l have. I do generally have it on AC most of the time but would like the option of working without AC.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 12:12:56 pm »
Hello @windrose... I'm happy that @vinDSL chimed in and confirmed what I was beginning to suspect. Do you know how to access the bios on this laptop? If so reboot and follow the instructions (usually involving tapping tab or del, or one of your F keys) that quickly flash across your screen... then scour the bios for anything related to battery or power settings. If you do not know, you'll need to scour the Lenovo site for specific instructions for your make and model.

I would seriously consider returning this, along with your battery if there is still a window of opportunity to do so.

While the bios is theoretically "operating system agnostic," Lenovo is deeply entrenched & beholden to the windows os system. Thus the need to get windows working again to deploy the drivers you found. Is there a license sticker on the bottom of your machine? if so, that's all you need to reinstall...

If not, then well... let us know how you decide to proceed

(My Mother has a Lenovo that drives me bonkers support wise and I wanted to return, but she wouldn't agree. )

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:24:02 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline glitchdot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 02:13:24 pm »
I had similar problem, my battery wasn't charging more than 91% at the beginning. It is not related with xfce power manager or linux, since they can't limit battery charge level.

You can try to discharge the battery to 0%, by turning off all power manager actions on low battery, till your laptop turn off by itself. Let the battery cool down for few hours, and then charge for 12 hours. This may fix the battery temporary. To fix it permanently, replace it  :)

In my case, problem was battery... I haven't replaced it yet, but now it charges till 60%, in very very rare occasion it charges 100%, but nevertheless battery life is reduced. It was some cheap battery I bought from ebay.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:17:33 pm by glitchdot »

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:14 pm »
glitchbot..it is a new battery and we are leaning towards it being and Lenovo Issue.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:51 pm »
glitchbot..it is a new battery and we are leaning towards it being and Lenovo Issue.

I've also found the Xfce4 Power Manager to be a goofy beast  :-\.  I've not yet owned a computer where it works well.  I usually uninstall and purge it from my systems.  I replace it with the Mate Power Manager.  i make the appropriate changes in, LXsessions ⇨ Core applications ⇨ xfce4-power-manager by changing it to, mate-power-manager.  It's not as feature rich; however, in my experience, it's more reliable.  For some reason, in Peppermint 10 Respin, it doesn't display in the panel.  It has to be accessed from the menu.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 01:57:11 pm »
Hello @windrose... I'm happy that @vinDSL chimed in and confirmed what I was beginning to suspect. Do you know how to access the bios on this laptop? If so reboot and follow the instructions (usually involving tapping tab or del, or one of your F keys) that quickly flash across your screen... then scour the bios for anything related to battery or power settings. If you do not know, you'll need to scour the Lenovo site for specific instructions for your make and model.

I would seriously consider returning this, along with your battery if there is still a window of opportunity to do so.

While the bios is theoretically "operating system agnostic," Lenovo is deeply entrenched & beholden to the windows os system. Thus the need to get windows working again to deploy the drivers you found. Is there a license sticker on the bottom of your machine? if so, that's all you need to reinstall...

If not, then well... let us know how you decide to proceed

(My Mother has a Lenovo that drives me bonkers support wise and I wanted to return, but she wouldn't agree. )

Spence, l have searched the bios and can find nothing that remotely looks like it may allow power options to be altered.
The computer was purchased used in fine condition with windows 8 loaded which l had wiped to install PM10.
I am wondering if l load up the PM respin would there be an opportunity to correct this or is the power manager something that is integral to the computer itself and not the OS? Just clutching straws here..as l said previously l can live with it in this state but it bugs me that i can not revert to another power handling option.
ANDYINMOKUM had a suggestion but not knowing how to proceed at this time l am reluctant . Appreciate the help but l am not desperate for it .
Dave

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2020, 07:19:13 pm »
Maybe try running the battery out altogether of charge. I usually let mine run down to 10% then stick the charger back in.
I find nothing wrong with the XFCE power manager and every time I have upgraded this computer it's been fine.
Is your battery a clip in one that sits on the back, or is it actually inside the computer itself?? I will get round to taking this battery out altogether on this Lenovo as I prefer to be plugged in.

Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2020, 07:59:43 pm »
The Battery is internal and l just replaced it the other day for a new one expecting that it was an old battery causing the issue.
At Spences suggestion l had looked further into it being a Lenovo specific issue and it may just be that as the Lenovo sites issues with the same symptoms but it may be specific to the BIOS?? and may require reverting back to Windose (Never) to effect the repair unless this collection of minds can come up with a resolve.
Dave

Update...let battery run right down till screen went off then let it sit overnight befor plugging in to recharge..no change to status indicator still indicates 59% charge
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:07:23 am by windrose »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:51 am »
I don't know about Lenovo's but my Samsung laptop has a setting in bios to limit the full charge level, supposedly extends the life of the battery.
What was I thinking?