Choose style:

Author Topic: [Solved] Low Priority question: updating kernel  (Read 193 times)

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
[Solved] Low Priority question: updating kernel
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:02:01 pm »
For some personal and financial reasons, I am going to have to keep my current computer which is 10 years old. It still runs Peppermint 5, which I always and faithfully updated every time I received the notifications. (It's been a while since I received any...) The box runs fine.

I do not game, stream movies, watch encrypted DVDs, compile s/w, nor do AV editing. I have only installed 2 java apps outside the repo world: bug tracker JTrac and ProjectLibre.

I ran uname -r in the terminal and received:

3.13.0-170-generic

I entered 3.13.0-170 into the synaptic search box and was returned entries for linux headers, linux headers generic, linux image generic, linux modules generic, and linux modules extra.

I noticed that there are entries in synaptic for much later kernels. I do NOT want nor need bleeding edge apps:

BUT would it be safe to choose a later kernel at this stage of 5's life?

Would I need to individually select headers, headers generic, image generic, modules generic, and modules extra for the kernel I wanted to install, or would synaptic pull the others if I just chose the image generic?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:49:33 am by dcmarti1 »

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Low Priority question: updating kernel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:35:38 pm »
You won't actually need the headers unless you're compiling something on your machine that makes calls to the kernel. That said, it doesn't hurt anything to have them installed. Pulling in the linux-image-generic package should give you everything you need.

That said, Peppermint Five is EOL and isn't receiving any new updates at all at this point. If you don't have any hardware problems, the only compelling reason I can think of to install an updated kernel would be to get the security patches and those are almost a year old at this point.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline dcmarti1

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: Low Priority question: updating kernel
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:48:39 am »
Thank you for solving this ticket.

You won't actually need the headers unless you're compiling something on your machine that makes calls to the kernel. That said, it doesn't hurt anything to have them installed. Pulling in the linux-image-generic package should give you everything you need.

That said, Peppermint Five is EOL and isn't receiving any new updates at all at this point. If you don't have any hardware problems, the only compelling reason I can think of to install an updated kernel would be to get the security patches and those are almost a year old at this point.