Author Topic: XFce Power Manager  (Read 1101 times)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 10
XFce Power Manager
« on: January 12, 2020, 12:43:32 pm »
I seem to have an issue with the XFce Power Manager in that it never really allows the battery to be charged beyond 59% and l do not see any way to adjust the settings to allow a full charge...new to the machine.
Thanks

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: XFce Power Manager
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 03:10:10 pm »
Hi

Does it fully charge on any other OS's.    ie Xubuntu?

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:51 pm »
I use the same charger on another laptop and it charged to 100% ok is that what you are asking?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:27:57 pm »
I use the same charger on another laptop and it charged to 100% ok is that what you are asking?

I wanted to know if this was a battery problem or an OS problem.

On the laptop that does not charge fully - have you used it with another operating system and was it ok.  ie did it charge to 100%

Regards Zeb...

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:31:59 pm »
no l had purchased it off a fellow who had win 10 on it and l wiped it to load peppermint he never mentioned an issue with windows 10.
I wonder if there would be an issue removing it if it can not be adjusted. It just seems to be useless as it never indicates when the battery is running low it just shows a 59% charge then shuts off dead till l plug it in again.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:06:36 pm »
Okay, that's starting to make more sense now, if I'm reading the situation correctly.

AFAIK, the Xfce Power Manager isn't capable of stopping the battery from charging beyond 59%. However, it is capable of shutting down at 59%, or whatever percentage was chosen.

I set mine at 10%

Here are my pics of my Xfce Power Manager settings: https://is.gd/SXWPsg

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:32:01 pm »
Thanks but what are the reasons for this app? Does it indeed charge to 100% but just not indicate the fact? Is this app part of the Peppermint package or was is something that was standard with this laptop (Lenovo Yoga )?

You have me questioning whether the battery is indeed failing...is there any way ,other than monitoring , the battery may be checked for condition? I had a full (59%) charge last nite and reset the control panel to duplicate whte you had indicated and this AM the battery was dead (l had unplugged the laptop)....sounds to me like battery but...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:05:05 am by windrose »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:43:29 pm »
Hi windrose,

Yes, it sounds very much like a failing battery ...  :(

Regards,

--Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline clatterfordslim

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:05:16 pm »
Thanks but what are the reasons for this app? Does it indeed charge to 100% but just not indicate the fact? Is this app part of the Peppermint package or was is something that was standard with this laptop (Lenovo Yoga )?

You have me questioning whether the battery is indeed failing...is there any way ,other than monitoring , the battery may be checked for condition? I had a full (59%) charge last nite and reset the control panel to duplicate whte you had indicated and this AM the battery was dead (l had unplugged the laptop)....sounds to me like battery but...

Lenovo chargers still using type A ones? My Lenovo Yoga 500 with Pep 10 respin on charges up to 100% and the indicator tells me how long it will take, percentage it's charged to. It's either your battery failing or your charger? Mine charges to 100% and notifies me when it's done. I will be removing mine altogether as I only use it when I'm working and I always use power supply. Sometimes with a over used battery it fails especially overly charging all the time. Best thing to do is take it out and just use the power supply. I would test to see if the charger is working or not, sounds to me though the battery has failed. They are not cheap either.  :(
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
Needless to say, I suppose, but...

The battery should charge to 100% even when a device is shutdown, regardless of the OS(s) installed.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
My Lenovo Yoga 500 with Pep 10 respin on charges up to 100% and the indicator tells me how long it will take, percentage it's charged to. [...] Best thing to do is take it out and [...]

That spurred my memory...   :)

A while back, I was reading an article about how winders users could reset their battery indicator circuitry. That is, reset the battery power percentage calculations and so forth, by starting afresh..

They said to remove the battery - press & hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds - then reinsert the battery and power-up.

Don't know if it has any relevance in this discussion, or if it even works, but who knows?! It can't hurt...

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:34 pm »
My Lenovo Yoga 500 with Pep 10 respin on charges up to 100% and the indicator tells me how long it will take, percentage it's charged to. [...] Best thing to do is take it out and [...]

That spurred my memory...   :)

A while back, I was reading an article about how winders users could reset their battery indicator circuitry. That is, reset the battery power percentage calculations and so forth, by starting afresh..

They said to remove the battery - press & hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds - then reinsert the battery and power-up.

Don't know if it has any relevance in this discussion, or if it even works, but who knows?! It can't hurt...

Winders??   The battery is shot..! Now to find a cheap but good one....any suggestions on the no name Chinese ones?  I know they are all Chinese...

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 01:05:48 am »
winders = windows

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:07 am »
Funny thing about the English ??? language  you meant wind as in windows and l read wind as in rewind... ::)

Offline windrose

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 01:22:13 pm »
Tried the Winders trick....flop....ordering a new Battery.