Choose style:

Author Topic: Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time? [SOLVED]  (Read 8145 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time? [SOLVED]
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:26 am »
Does anybody here in development think that LXDE will eventually evolve into LXQt over time?

I discovered LXQt over at Manjaro today, and I wondered if we are headed in the LXQt direction too.

Here's a link about LXQt:

http://lxqt.org/

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:16:11 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
Does anybody here in development think that LXDE will eventually evolve into LXQt over time?

It's an absolute certainty .. LXDE *IS* swapping to Qt

I wondered if we are headed in the LXQt direction too.

Peppermint is not planning on going down the Qt route, it'll be sticking with Gtk .. Peppermint has been progressively moving away from a pure LXDE environment for some time (in fact it never was), and will continue to do so .. if anything, the LXQt thing will probably just speed this up a bit, but if you really take a good look at Peppermint 5 there's not rally that many LXDE components left, certainly not that many that couldn't easily be swapped out ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:03:25 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:00 pm »
Well today is Labor Day here in the States, and I had a chance to play with Manjaro's LXQt edition.  The pitch for LXQt is that it's cleaning up LXDE --  meaning it's faster, lighter, newer, and better.  And maybe it is.  But, PCNetSpec, I'm happy we're going in the the direction we're heading.  I did not find LXQt to be more user-friendly to what we have here.  I, personally, like our tool set better in our menu, and I find our panel easier to configure too.  I can see the date and time easier on our panel than on the panel of LXQt.

I'm not saying that Manjaro hasn't done a fantastic job with LXQt.  Manjaro Linux is a first-class gig through and through.  Manjaro, like Peppermint, appears to do everything well.  I just don't know if LXQt is bridging the gap between Xfce and LXDE as is claimed.

So now, if we're not actually using LXDE, what are we using?  Or what will our DE be called in the future?

I don't dare venture a guess.  I'm afraid my Zoosk ad choices will change in here Peppermint if I play with four letters that begin with L for too long -- but maybe LGDE! 

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

And my ad choices did change from Which One Would You Prefer? to Labor Day Sale for mattresses  -- and a day after Labor Day at that!  I knew something like that was bound to happen!  ;)

P.P.S.

I did forget to mention one important thing about LXQt:  It is a very attractive DE to look at. I suspect, initially, that will be part of its charm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:57:09 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:51 am »
So now, if we're not actually using LXDE, what are we using?  Or what will our DE be called in the future?

And there's the $64,000 question ... all I can say at this point is Peppermint has no plans to go down the Qt route, and will continue to do its own thing ;)

I don't dare venture a guess.  I'm afraid my Zoosk ad choices will change here in Peppermint if I play with four letters for too long!  ;)

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:33:17 am »
Some of the comments below this article are as interesting as the article itself, and it is from the comment area where I got the second link below.  There is something about LXDE you can't find anyplace else. So many people love LXDE. 

And, so far, the nicest thing of all about LXQt is that it brought two development communities together -- the LXDE community and the Razor-Qt community.  Spatry mentioned this on this Mangaro LXQt YouTube video, and I think he makes a good point.

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1117

I wonder if this is Peppermint's thinking too, articulated by Julien Lavergne of Lubuntu.  We fork off of Lubuntu, right?  It sounds like we might have to prepare for an LXQt migration over time, and it also sounds as if Lubuntu's and Peppermint's workload has now doubled.  I'm making the assumption we will staying with Lubuntu.  I hope we are anyway.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2014-May/007536.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:57:36 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:20:13 pm »
I wonder if this is Peppermint's thinking too, articulated by Julien Lavergne of Lubuntu.  We fork off of Lubuntu, right?  It sounds like we might have to prepare for an LXQt migration over time, and it also sounds as if Lubuntu's and Peppermint's workload has now doubled.  I'm making the assumption we will staying with Lubuntu.  I hope we are anyway.

Peppermint doesn't need to follow Lubuntu, the fact that Peppermint has historically chosen to start with a Lubuntu image then modify it is irrelevant .. at this point (Peppermint 5) it would probably have been just as easy to start with a Xubuntu or minimal Ubuntu image then rip out some components and add back in the few LXDE components Peppermint still uses as to start with Lubuntu and rip out the LXDE components it doesn't use and replace them.

If Lubuntu go LXQt that will probably be exactly what happens .. Peppermint is "Ubuntu" based (as is Lubuntu), and has historically used a modified LXDE desktop .. but has never been afraid to choose non LXDE components where it saw other components as a better fit, then to integrate them .. this will continue, Peppermint is NOT tied to Lubuntu and as of Peppermint 5 has very few major LXDE components that couldn't "fairly" easily be replaced .. so I repeat, Peppermint currently (AFAIK) has no plans to go with LXQt, irrespective of what  Lubuntu choose to do.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:23:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »
Well, I'm very happy with what we're doing.   :)

Even if we don't go the LXDE to LXQt route, at least we'll remain Ubuntu-based.  But if we went from being Ubuntu-based to being Arch-based, there would be some serious culture shock around here!   :o

That LXQt exploration of mine that I had over at Manjaro didn't feel all that much like Peppermint 5, or Lubuntu 14.04, to me.  I suspect you've seen LXQt.  LXQt is different enough from LXDE to notice a difference. 

I'm happy to hear that Peppermint is going to remain Peppermint for a good long while.  Besides, we always get good introductory materal here at Peppermint whenever a change is made.  All we have to do is read it.  ;)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:08:26 pm by perknh »

Offline blue4meridian

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time? [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »
Can LxQt be downloaded from the cloud and installed in Peppermint in place of LxDe?

Posted by 76.116.131.203 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:11:43 pm »
Hello blue4meridian,

That's a good question.  I've heard that the way some of us check out LXQt, who are on the Ubuntu side of the fence, is to first download Ununtu's KDE version of Ubuntu, called Kubuntu, and then adding the LXQt desktop from one of their Software managers, logging out, and then logging back in, and then choosing the LXQt desktop environment at log in. Sorry I can't remember which specific package manager was suggested.

But I got this idea from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YQpwoxBAY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YQpwoxBAY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YQpwoxBAY8

I believe the way this is done is suggested near the end of the Linux Action Show 312 -- say, 45 minutes into the show.

And, here's the link to Kubuntu. http://www.kubuntu.org/

blue4meridian, you might be best served waiting for another answer.  PCNetSpec could give you a yea or nay for sure -- if he sees our two posts.  ;)

LXQt is attractive, but still lacks some of the user friendliness I've come to like so much with our Peppermint OS -- or Lubuntu for that matter.  It seems also, if we wait a while, LXQt will be coming to Lubuntu anyway.

But, as for your direct question: "Can LXQt be downloaded from the cloud and installed in Peppermint in place of LXDE?"  Let's see if PCNetSpec, or Kendall, see our posts.  It's a interesting question.  They would know the answer for sure.  I've wondered about this question myself.

And, blue4meridian, if you end up trying this, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on LXQt too.

Thank you,

perknh

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:09:30 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »
There are tons of tutorials for adding PPA's to Ubuntu 14.04 and installing LXQt .. but The only thing I've found in reference to "Lubuntu" suggests it broke logging on.

I have no idea how well or even "if" LXDE and LXQt will live together on the same system .. and in particular I have no idea if or what it'll break Peppermint 5's HEAVILY modified LXDE environment .. if you're capable of digging yourself out of deep holes it should be "doable", but I'd be fairly certain it'll not be a painless exercise ;)

To tell the truth, I have no intention of finding out .. sorry ;)

Maybe someone else will have already figured it out..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:57:52 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »
Well, blue4meridian, that answers the question for me!

My suggestion is, if you want to try it, and you want to stay within the Ubuntu family, listen to the video I posted right before we were lucky enough to have had PCNetSpec answer your question.   And, remember, we have the Kubuntu link there -- which is what will be the basis for your LXQt DE.

Or, you can do what I did, and wander over to Manjaro, and click onto Get Manjaro and then scroll down the page to Community Editions.  That will get you to LXQt in Manjaro -- all ready to go.

Manjaro is a first-class OS.  That's the good news about Manjaro.  Their forum, on the other hand, can be a bit bratty -- lots of trolls, I'm afraid.  I'd probably listen to the video first, and stay within the Ubuntu family.  I hear by combining Kubuntu's base with LXQt, you end up with a LXQt desktop environment that is very, very nice.

It will lighten up KDE, and be almost as familiar as LXDE.

Good luck!  ;)

perknh 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:27:08 pm by perknh »

Offline blue4meridian

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:27 pm »
Salutations...

@pernh...  The review is why I posted.

@ PCNetSpec...  Peppermints desktop environment cannot be "removed" and replaced with another?  I thought this was possible because of all the buntu's.  Does Peppermint stand out because of it's desktop or what's under the hood?  If Peppermint where used on a headless server how important would the desktop environment be?  I'm confused.

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:47:04 pm by blue4meridian »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »
OK,

Can LxQt be downloaded from the cloud and installed in Peppermint in place of LxDe?

YES .. as I said, it's "doable" .. it *would* be possible to remove Peppermints LXDE and the Xfce components and install the LXQt desktop environment in its place.

But if you're asking if both environments can coexist, and you choose which environment to boot into at the login screen .. I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:41:33 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline chubbychops

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »
i just tried it and the login screen shows the normal peppermint login.

i used a fresh pep 5 install (after running software updater).

========================================
This is the info i found on the net:
To get started, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run commands below one by one:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gilir/q-project

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install lxqt-metapackage
Once installed, log out and select “LXDE-Qt Desktop” to log in.

LXDE-Qt desktop in Unity Login Screen

Note that after installed LXDE-Qt, your LightDM login screen will be changed. To revert back to original:

1. Run command to edit the config file:

sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
2. Change value of greeter-session to unity-greeter
=======================================================

i realised i forgot to try the last  "sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf " line.
but i have a feeling it might not work with out some of the unity components.
==================================================

i now have something called juffed text editor in my menu, among a few others.

Anyway i did this on a spare partition ,so it's no big deal :)

Offline chubbychops

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »
The edit button is not working ,so i have o make another post.

I just noticed ,you can change to lxqt at the login screen by clicking on a small icon in the top right hand corner.

it's next to the language selector icon on the login screen.

Lxqt doesn't look that much different to what we have already with peppermint 5.