Author Topic: Peppermint 10 new install, autologin issue (Part solution - installed P9)  (Read 833 times)

Offline adamunderwood

• Still learning
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6,8, and 9
Happy Holidays everyone.  I just installed Peppermint 10 on an older HP desktop.  All is good except that when booting up it always goes to a login in window for a password instead of auto logging in as i selected during installation.  I double checked the login window settings and it is set for autologin.  I have installed several different versiions of peppermint and this is the first time i have had this happen.  Its not the end of the world to have to do this but if it is an easy fix I'd rather have auto login.  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:32:31 pm by zebedeeboss »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint 10 new install, autologin issue
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:20 pm »
Happy Holidays everyone.  I just installed Peppermint 10 on an older HP desktop.  All is good except that when booting up it always goes to a login in window for a password instead of auto logging in as i selected during installation.  I double checked the login window settings and it is set for autologin.  I have installed several different versiions of peppermint and this is the first time i have had this happen.  Its not the end of the world to have to do this but if it is an easy fix I'd rather have auto login.  Thanks for any help.

Hi adamunderwood Happy Holidays back at you  ;).  Good a nice easy one to go with my coffee :).  Left click on the menu button, (or hit the Super key).  In the search box type login.  The Login Window option will become highlighted.  Hit the enter/return key.   Enter your user password into the new box and hit the enter/return key.  In the new box, select the Users tab.  The bottom option is labelled: Automatic login.  In the blank field enter your user name.  Close the Login Window and reboot your computer.  The boot process should now skip the login screen.  I hope this helps  ;).

important: If you have encrypted your /home folder, you'll be unable to login automatically.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:27:15 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline adamunderwood

• Still learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:33:21 am »
AndyInMokum thanks for the reply.  Yes I went through all these steps and still boots to login screen.   
Regarding your last line, how can I tell if my home folder is encrypted?  If it is I don't know how I accomplished that so I will also have to ask how to unencrypt it as well, or am I looking reinstalling the os? 
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:37:32 am by adamunderwood »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:51:57 pm »
AndyInMokum thanks for the reply.  Yes I went through all these steps and still boots to login screen.   
Regarding your last line, how can I tell if my home folder is encrypted?  If it is I don't know how I accomplished that so I will also have to ask how to unencrypt it as well, or am I looking reinstalling the os? 
Thanks again.

You would have selected the Encrypt Home Folder, (or words to that effect) option during the in installation process.  To check open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter, (Copy & Paste) the following command into the terminal window:
Code: [Select]
ls -A /homeif your /home folder is encrypted, a .ecryptfs folder will be present.  If you're in any doubt, post the output back to the forum  ;).

Offline adamunderwood

• Still learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 02:06:25 pm »
I figured something like that although I don't remember checking that box. 
Either way if I follow what you said, it appears that the home folder is not encrypted?

evalu@evalu-p2-1033w ~ $ ls -A /home
evalu
evalu@evalu-p2-1033w ~ $

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 02:28:44 pm »
I figured something like that although I don't remember checking that box. 
Either way if I follow what you said, it appears that the home folder is not encrypted?

evalu@evalu-p2-1033w ~ $ ls -A /home
evalu
evalu@evalu-p2-1033w ~ $

It's got me baffled.  It should be working, only it ain't  :-\.  I'm sure some who's more familiar with the Login will have an answer  ;).

Offline adamunderwood

• Still learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:37:17 pm »
Well I appreciate your help.  This is my mothers computer and I leave in the morning to head back home so I said screw it and installed Peppermint 9 as I have installed it on several computers with good luck.  As of now it looks like everything is working correctly. So I will hope for the best.  Thanks again.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 06:04:52 pm »
Well I appreciate your help.  This is my mothers computer and I leave in the morning to head back home so I said screw it and installed Peppermint 9 as I have installed it on several computers with good luck.  As of now it looks like everything is working correctly. So I will hope for the best.  Thanks again.

Yeah, Peppermint 9 Respin 64-bit is still on three of my machines.  I love it  ;).  I'll probably keep it on them until the end of April 2023.  It's just rock solid  ;).  I'm still curious why the login is acting weird on your mother's computer  :-\.

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Peppermint 10 new install, autologin issue <resolved>
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 12:16:30 pm »
Hello guys,

I just did an install of P10 and I had(have) the same issue.  I know I didn't select encrypt during install and I'm positive I chose to "Log in Automatically" when I was at that screen.  I'm re-installing to see if the 2nd install will do what it's supposed to do.  I'll report  my findings in another reply once this re-installation is complete.

I don't think "resolved" is appropriate if it hasn't been resolved.  Re-installing P9 really isn't a resolution.

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 10 new install, autologin issue <resolved>
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 01:20:24 pm »
Same issue on install number 2.

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 10 new install, autologin issue (Part solution - installed P9)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 05:57:32 am »
Well,  I think I'm making some headway on this issue.  I can get it to not ask for the password when you boot up, but it still won't automatically log you in, you still have to hit the enter key when your account is on the main(first screen).

System>>Users and Groups

On the Password line select change(button)..I've already changed mine in the pic

Tick the bottom box where it says "Don't ask for password on login"

Ideally I want to turn the computer on and go(not even have to hit the enter key).

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 06:05:18 am »
I'm not sure if any of these tips are applicable, but found this page Googling:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/enable-automatic-login-on-linux/

I'm not at the computer that has issues, so I can't try them at the moment.

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 07:32:58 am »
I just installed P10 on my netbook(MSI U100) after installing a new SSD and  It automatically logs into the desktop as requested during the install wizard.  I compared the lightdm files on both the problematic computer and the netbook and they're identical, so I have to assume that's not the problem.  This is weird.

Offline az2020

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:35 am »
FYI: I just installed Peppermint 10 on an Acer Aspire 5 (model: A515-43-R19L, CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u, Radeon Vega 3 graphics). It boots to the desktop (no login, as I requested during install.).

FWIW: I've been test-driving about 15 distros the past few days. I did encounter 4-5 that made me login even though I elected auto-login during install. Unfortunately, I don't remember which ones they were. But, I remember thinking "wth? that's not what I asked for." So, maybe there's something upstream that is affecting many distros. I'm pretty sure some were Manjaro which is Arch-based. So... if it's related to your experience, that would suggest it's not upstream towards Ubuntu, but maybe Xfce, or a windows manager like lightdm, something like that? (I don't know much about these things.).

Offline alan

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 06:23:33 am »
I did another install on another machine(3 so far) and it automatically logs me to the desktop as requested.  So, of 3 machines only 1 doesn't log me in, very strange.  All 3 installs were done via the same USB drive image file.