Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't Call This My Favorite Top Ten List -- But We're On It!  (Read 5314 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Can't Call This My Favorite Top Ten List -- But We're On It!
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
http://itsfoss.com/weird-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsFoss+%28Its+FOSS%21+An+Open+Source+Blog%29

Oh boy, we made the list right below Hannah Montana Linux, and two below Ubuntu Satanic. 

But I do want to say thank you to Admin Kaefel P.  Admin Kaefel P. stood up for Peppermint, and "the scientifics," in the comment area found below the article.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Can't Call This My Favorite Top Ten List -- But We're On It!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:35 am »
They say "all press is good press", and this is not so much a "top ten" or in any particular order, but you still have to wonder if that's true when you find yourself next to Hannah Montana Linux  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:18:20 pm »
Peppermint is awesome, thanks for sharing.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:44 pm »
You're welcome.  And what an awesome blog -- dedicated to Peppermint!   :)

Thank you,  10i.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:13:16 am »
You're welcome.  And what an awesome blog -- dedicated to Peppermint!   :)

Thank you,  10i.
My pleasure, I have enjoyed blogging about Peppermint. 
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 03:04:03 pm »
http://itsfoss.com/weird-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsFoss+%28Its+FOSS%21+An+Open+Source+Blog%29

Oh boy, we made the list right below Hannah Montana Linux, and two below Ubuntu Satanic. 

But I do want to say thank you to Admin Kaefel P.  Admin Kaefel P. stood up for Peppermint, and "the scientifics," in the comment area found below the article.

im a bit late on seeing this but :

"Peppermint is a web application and cloud focused Ubuntu based Linux distribution. A lightweight Linux distro, Peppermint mostly contains web applications instead of traditional desktop applications. Sounds like Chrome OS, isn’t it?"

pretty awful description seem to be missing the point that peppermint is a FULLY FUNCTIONAL DESKTOP LINUX  AND CLOUD BASED LINUX!
so nope its not like chrome because chrome can not function as a full desktop operating system.
pretty awful list too for the most part!
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »
Come on, come on, iamesperambient.  You got to be a sport here!

We should feel honored to be ranked right below Hannah Montana Linux.  How can Peppermint 5 expect to compete with a pretty young girl who's wearing purple shoes?

We can't do it, iamesperambient.  It's imposible!

The pretty young girl who is wearing purple shoes is going win every single time!  :)

Hannah Montana, you go girl!  ;)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:58:37 pm »
Come on, come on, iamesperambient.  You got to be a sport here!

We should feel honored to be ranked right below Hannah Montana Linux.  How can Peppermint 5 expect to compete with a pretty young girl who's wearing purple shoes?

We can't do it, iamesperambient.  It's imposible!

The pretty young girl who is wearing purple shoes is going win every single time!  :)

Hannah Montana, you go girl!  ;)

hahahah she's not so pretty and innocent anymore hahahah
she looks like a something from the satanic bible that tongue though.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »
...she looks like a something from the satanic bible...

Hey, I never said that Hannah Montana looks like Rihanna sitting in a Lamborghini.  I just think we have to acknowledge she's the young woman who's namesake's distro, Hannah Montana Linux, is Peppermint 5's one and only buffer between our beloved distro and Ubuntu Satanic!

Hannah Montana's purple shoes with the high heals are obviously doing something to keep Peppermint 5 safe on that nutty list of Ubuntu-based Linux distros.  ;D

How Peppermint got thrown into that mix, and onto that list in the first place, I do not know.  :-\

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:24 pm »
yeah i really dont understand why peppermint is on the list  :-\ >:( i mean its not a 'weird' distro at all
all it is is a light weight ubuntu based distro that has the ability to integrate cloud apps via SSBs
i think if anything it just makes it a more efficient light weight linux distro, not odd or strange or weird.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 06:22:07 am »
I agree, we don't belong mixed up with those other Ubuntu derivatives.  But, like PCNetSpec said, at least we got some press with that article -- a positive comment too.  Technically speaking, we still appear to be one the lessor known Ubuntu based distributions, but I think that is changing.

I discovered, when I once journeyed over to Ubuntu forum, the Purubuntuians are sure aware of our existence!  They brushed my Peppermint infused ideas under the rug as quicky they could!

I believe they were considering a witch trial for me because of my enthusiasm for, and my dabbling with, a ancient pagan herb based distro called Peppermint, but PCNetSpec persuaded them that the penalty of temporary banishment from Ubuntu forum would be sufficient .  So the Purubuntuians just beat me up a little, and then they banished me as quickly off the Isle of Man as they could.

I'm still part of the Ubuntu based family, though.  I'm a little older and a little wiser now too! No herbal remedies are permitted on the Isle of Man.  The use of the P word, or Peppermint, will not permitted, even if its curative powers could help an the ailing flavor of Ubuntu called Lubuntu.  No herbal medicine allowed!  ;D

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 01:36:50 pm »
ive only used 3 linux distros peppermint 5 / elementary luna/ ubuntu 12.04.
ubuntu i had on a laptop  i borrowed for a year but didn't actually try to mess with anything
i just used it at the time to burn cds and do basic things i have to be honest i don't like the ubuntu
unity interface it's to me just as ugly as windows 8. Elementary luna is beautiful as far as interface
but it was a horrible os more glitchy than anything i have used before. If fact wheni was setiting it up
something went wrong and the OS destoyed it's self until it went to a black screen and died.

Peppermint was reliable/clean/easy to use/efficient/fast /customizable /long term support/
helpful forum etc there was WAY to many reasons to decide to stay with peppermint and to avoid
the other distros. Yes ubuntu is basically the windows of linux its got bigger base but i just
didn't like the set up. Peppermint had just the right amount of cool features and light weight to
in my opinion make it a better choice for me.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »
ive only used 3 linux distros peppermint 5 / elementary luna/ ubuntu 12.04.
ubuntu i had on a laptop  i borrowed for a year but didn't actually try to mess with anything
i just used it at the time to burn cds and do basic things i have to be honest i don't like the ubuntu
unity interface it's to me just as ugly as windows 8.

iamesperambient, you've got good company here in Peppermint.  With the exception of myself, there seems to be nobody here who likes the Ubuntu's Unity desktop -- even though I think it's a very clever flavor of Ubuntu.  I very much like VladStudio's, or Vlad Gerasimov's, desktop artwork that was featured in Ubuntu 12.04 -- the Precise Pangolin.  I also like his Little Quetzal, and White Crow drawings.  I find Unity charming, although I can see it's gotten heavier and heavier, and nosier and nosier, over time.  I actually like 12.04 better than 14.04, but I like having the updated kernel of 14,04.1.

Peppermint, on the other hand is what Lubuntu ought to be.  This forum is my favorite place on the Internet.  This is the most fun place I've been in cyberspace.  I hate it when somebody leaves us, and I'm always happy when somebody joins.

Also I really like our distribution.  It's light, fast, and it almost always works perfectly.  Peppermint 4 was the best distribution I ever saw in my life.  Sometimes in Unity 14.04.1 the sound skips and repeats when using listening to a song in YouTube, but this has never happened to me in Peppermint 5.  And we seem to be sorting out a lot of bugs in Peppermint 5 very quickly.  I believe Peppermint 5 rivals Peppermint 4 right now, and, of course, we have security updates that Peppermint 4 no longer has.

Peppermint is an excellent distribution.  Peppermint gets an A+ from me, and I've never met anyone who has tried it who hasn't liked it.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:14 am »
also i want to add none of those distros on this list are on the top list of distrowatch i think peppermint is actually pretty well known
i think this list is very misleading its still press but i dont think its the kind of press thats very helpful just my opinion.  :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 10:46:25 am »
Yup, I've heard of it :)

[EDIT]

If you haven't heard of Peppermint, you're a Windows/OS X user (or fall into the "I thought Ubuntu was the only Linux" brigade)

or possibly North Korean :-X

or really into Linux, but blind, deaf, and dead.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:58:54 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec