Choose style:

Author Topic: migrate Linux Mint panel add in to Peppermint  (Read 233 times)

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
migrate Linux Mint panel add in to Peppermint
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:21 am »
There is a panel add-in option in Linux Mint XFCE that shows indicator (idiot) lights for cpu, ram, swap usage that I donít see in Peppermint. How do I obtain it for Peppermint. Must be in a repository somewhere? Peppermint is Linux Mint painted red so this must be doable.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: migrate Linux Mint panel add in to Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:06 am »
Hi Minux1,

Peppermint is NOT Linux Mint painted red.   Peppermint is Lubuntu based and then uses the nemo file manager, xed text editor and the Mint update Manager.  It also uses components from xfce.  Perhaps you can find a suitable addon in the xfce family.

There is one you can add via synaptic called system Load Monitor  (xfce4-systemload-plugin)  perhaps this is what you can use instead.

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:28:49 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »
Thank you.
Installed the program you suggested.
Practically the same as the one in Linux Mint.
Working fine. :)

Offline The Omen

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 01:39:20 pm »
Hello Minix1,
Peppermint is Linux Mint painted red so this must be doable.

I only joined the forum a short time ago and figured to read everything I could from the forum to find out the difference of Peppermint verses Linux Mint, so i would not make too many mistakes since I have been warned many times by my  Linux "Jedi Master" of "pebkac" problems usually due to assuming things are always the same with different Linux distributions.

I found this thread from 2017 that I found simple for me to understand and corrected my thinking about what Peppermint "is" and what it is not.

I used to think that Pep and LM were almost the same thing, I was wrong.

I tried Linux Mint when I first started learning but found Peppermint much nicer and easier to learn.

I hope it is helpful to you too since you are also new like me.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,11.msg93337.html?PHPSESSID=vdo1aks76u842l0ho2pht278r0#new

Regards,

The Omen

Offline 151tom

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 & 10 (64 Bit)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 11:18:01 am »
Peppermint is Linux Mint painted red so this must be doable.

Perhaps this explains what Peppermint is.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)

I was adamant on using the same distro for everything, until I learned about how Peppermint OS was ďFrankensteinedĒ
 together.

Linux is all about choice. Itís modular. Like the Borg, it adapts to any situation. So why try to force a square peg into a round hole? Peppermint CEO Mark Greaves cherry-picked the best elements of the LXDE, Xfce and Cinnamon desktop environments! He used both the Mint and GNOME software centers. Multiple package managers.

On paper, Peppermint OS should be a disaster, but itís brilliant Itís just not the ideal distribution for one of my machines (without putting some serious effort in, anyway).

Thatís when it all came into focus. I use Linux because Windows users donít have this kind of flexibility. You want a version of Windows 10 that runs like a dream on your crappy dual-core laptop with 4GB of RAM? Sorry, not an option.

The above from this article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/11/05/my-search-for-the-perfect-linux-os-just-ended--with-an-unexpected-surprise/#279e3cf55cd6

[close]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:22:04 am by 151tom »

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 08:22:54 pm »
Linux Mint was my goto O/S and I kinda stumbled on to Peppermint Linux 10 in desperation because it would install wifi drivers on my Lenovo ThinkPad X140e laptop whereas Linux Mint v 19.3 would not. Besides my eyes were turning green staring at Mint screens and I needed a change. ;)
Now that I have tried Peppermint I like what I have seen and experienced.

Offline Minux1

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:20 pm »
I ran Lubuntu on this pc for a while but it ran out of long term support last spring.
Really liked its streamlined operation.
The "L" in the new Lubuntu is a misnomer. It is NOT ultralight and is just another flavor of Ubuntu not that that is bad.
Peppermint is a good O/S ... I think I'll call it home.